Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcoholic Drinks from yesteryear

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I know you can still get it but Olde English Cider was nice served with a big glass of ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Sky King wrote: »
    Anyone remember Buckler? For a long time the only 'non alcoholic' beer you could get in Ireland. Was rank.
    I remember that when I worked in a pub in the 90's. It sold so little it wasn't even in the fridge and the bottles on the shelf were covered in dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Fosters Ice was amazing.

You could drink a load of them and zero hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Panrich wrote: »
    Different types affect people in different ways. I can drink large quantities of Guinness, Ale or loads of shorts without too much difficulty but even 4 pints of lager sends me loopy. Always has. My wife can’t drink red wine for the same reason.

It's not different types it's lager with 1 extra %.
    The way people go on about Stella being "wife beater" and all that is pure nonsense.

Anyone who says they get significantly drunker of Holsten I can only assume is succumbing to placebo or just exaggerating which irish people love even more than drink in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The way people go on about Stella being "wife beater" and all that is pure nonsense.

Anyone who says they get significantly drunker of Holsten I can only assume is succumbing to placebo or just exaggerating which irish people love even more than drink in fairness

I’ve seen the effects of Stella myself over in England when I was working there.

It’s known as wife beater over there

It is a stronger lager. It drives some people mental

I’ve seen normal people session drink on Stella all evening and go mental completely out of character for them

Not sure if it as strong over here as it is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sully123

I know you can still get it but Olde English Cider was nice served with a big glass of ice.

I wonder do dunnes still do Special Vat cider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

1 Extra % ?

You do realise that a 5% beer has 25% more alcohol than a 4% beer.?
    I've already explained this but you chose to ignore this fact.

1 Extra % ?

You do realise that a 5% beer has 25% more alcohol than a 4% beer.?
    I've already explained this but you chose to ignore this fact.

Yes but only 1% of the beverage is alcohol it doesn't get you 25% more drunk. By your theory 2 large glasses of wine have between 300 to 400% the alcoholic effect of a pint which would knock you out cold. It really does not work the way you think.

Sorry if I offended anyone who thinks 5% is strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes but only 1% of the beverage is alcohol it doesn't get you 25% more drunk. By your theory 2 large glasses of wine have between 300 to 400% the alcoholic effect of a pint which would knock you out cold. It really does not work the way you think.

Your body can process X amount of alcohol an hour, what really matters with beer is how much of the % is over 2.5%. So a 5% beer is more than 25% stronger than a 4% beer in that respect. It's more than the difference of having 4 pints versus 5 pints.

Similarly with wine, what really counts is how much is over 9%. So a 15% bottle is significantly stronger than a 12.5% bottle.

It's about how much of the alcohol you are taking in exceeding what you can process in an hour.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rockshore*

*I'm writing this post on 31-Mar-2031 by the way.

Heard it called Liquid Fine Gael and I can't think of a better description.

You are embarrassing yourself now.
    Your logic is very flawed.

A 5% beer has exactly 25% more alcohol per ml than a 4% beer per ml.
    Likewise a 10% beer isn't 5% stronger than a 5%beer, it's twice as strong.

If you can't understand this, I don't know what else I can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

ShyMets wrote: »
    This probably belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread. But I kind of liked the Toucan Brew.

You probably went for ‘Extra Cold’ over regular too, didn’t you? Admit it!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

How many pints of wine would you knock back in a 5 hour sesh

eggy81 wrote: »
    How many pints of wine would you knock back in a 5 hour sesh

Depends what kind of wine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Has celebration ale been mentioned . Out late 60s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Panrich wrote: »
    Different types affect people in different ways. I can drink large quantities of Guinness, Ale or loads of shorts without too much difficulty but even 4 pints of lager sends me loopy. Always has. My wife can’t drink red wine for the same reason.

This. 3 or 4 pints of Guinness has the same effect on me as 8 or 9 beer or cider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Orchard Choice cider 2 litre There was a 3 litre cider too really rotten but phenomenally successful amongst teens and youths cant remember the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Inspired by this thread i bought a few cans of Ritz in Tesco last night.
    Feicing delicious with lots of ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I’ve seen the effects of Stella myself over in England when I was working there.

It’s known as wife beater over there

It is a stronger lager. It drives some people mental

I’ve seen normal people session drink on Stella all evening and go mental completely out of character for them

Not sure if it as strong over here as it is there

Yeah but the Stella reputation makes more sense than the Holstein one.
    Stella was what 5.2/5.3 % at a time when the English were probably drinking 3.4/3.6% strong flavoured ales right?

• Advertisement

Yeah but the Stella reputation makes more sense than the Holstein one.
    Stella was what 5.2/5.3 % at a time when the English were probably drinking 3.4/3.6% strong flavoured ales right?

No lager was popular in the UK even before it was here.

Also I don't know what the strength of draught Holsten that was served here in the 80s was.
    I also don't know what the typical lager strength was. I'm not sure when 4.3% became the standard.

But I distinctly remember that drinking 3 pints of Holsten had a dramatically different result to drinking 3 pints of Hoffman's!
    It was in very few pubs and wasn't around for long afair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Can anyone confirm that bulmers was once stronger than it is now ?
    For some reason I think it was around 6% when we used to drink the flagons ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Orchard Choice cider 2 litre There was a 3 litre cider too really rotten but phenomenally successful amongst teens and youths cant remember the name.

Lyndon Village?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

biko wrote: »
    When I read thread title Aftershock immediately sprung to mind.

They even look a bit like mouthwash :D

772-gallery.jpga1be07f2-ff80-4212-90c4-0cede9f1b436-1-a482e13d25fa4bcb46affccde401326e.jpg

Surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner. Around the year 2000 it seemed Aftershock was everywhere at least among the younger crowds. Aftershock Blue and Aftershock Red.

Old cheap lagers and ciders I used to drink as a teenager:

Royal Dutch
    Orangjeboom
    Dutch Gold
    Moosehead
    Scrumpy Jack
    Frosty Jacks (I think)
    Olde English
    Grolsch Lager
    Stella Artois (used have €1 bottles)
    Bierre Blonde (or something similar from Tesco in those tiny bottles in a cardboard case)

There's a another on that comes to mind but cant figure out the name. It was a lager in a blue can (not Bavaria) ...
    I googled "blue can lager" and it wad the first image, lol.. Kronenberg!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Druids Glen, that was another cheap cider I used to drink back as a young lad

5012136096609_3.JPG

harr wrote: »

I'm not sure if it was ever 6% but producers change the declared abv of product over the years. It's highly likely that bulmers was stronger in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I remember that when I worked in a pub in the 90's. It sold so little it wasn't even in the fridge and the bottles on the shelf were covered in dust.

I always found the name rather amusing.

How are you going to get buckled on an non-alcoholic beer?

Surprised this wasn't mentioned sooner. Around the year 2000 it seemed Aftershock was everywhere at least among the younger crowds. Aftershock Blue and Aftershock Red.

Royal Dutch
    Orangjeboom
    Dutch Gold
    Moosehead
    Scrumpy Jack
    Frosty Jacks (I think)
    Olde English
    Grolsch Lager
    Bierre Blonde (or something similar from Tesco in those tiny bottles in a cardboard case)

There's a another on that comes to mind but cant figure out the name. It was a lager in a blue can (not Bavaria) ...

Labatts was blue and going cheap in bottles in my local Fine Wines for a while about 15 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm pretty sure that Bulmers Strongbow brand weighed in at 6%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'm not sure if it was ever 6% but producers change the declared abv of product over the years. It's highly likely that bulmers was stronger in the past.

Back in the 80s cider was 6%

• Advertisement

Oh boy. Mathematics isn't your strong point is it.

Take a litre (1000 ml) of 4% beer. How many ml of alcohol does it contain? The answer is 40 ml of alcohol.

Now take a litre of 5% beerl. How many ml of alcohol does it contain? That's right...50ml.

It is the alcohol that gets you drunk. So 40ml versus 50 ml for equal amounts of beer.

The 50 is 125% of 40 or 25% more

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Lyndon Village?

No Linden Village is a two litre. the 3 litre was out around 1998 and was vile A night in the cells was almost guaranteed after drinking the lot of it.

Bulmers as far as I remember was always weaker than the granddaddy of all ditch drinking cider Linden Village. Males tended to drink LV as it was 6% while females drank Bulmers two litres as it was 4.something%. No males drank 2 litre Bulmers unless they wanted to be laughed at.

Royal Dutch
    Orangjeboom
    Dutch Gold
    Moosehead
    Scrumpy Jack
    Frosty Jacks (I think)
    Olde English
    Grolsch Lager

Stella, Grolsch, Kronenbourg and Oranjeboom are all mainstream beers in the Netherlands and have been around forever. They probably made a foray into the Irish market in the 80's/90's to expand their market share around Europe/World but didn't take off like Heineken, Carlsberg mainstream Euro lagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Nice looking pub
    It's mcdaids I think 😭😭😭

Stella, Grolsch, Kronenbourg and Oranjeboom are all mainstream beers in the Netherlands and have been around forever. They probably made a foray into the Irish market in the 80's/90's to expand their market share around Europe/World but didn't take off like Heineken, Carlsberg mainstream Euro lagers.

I knew I recognised OranjeBoom but I never drank it. One drink they never had in the town I lived in was cider. Heelmaal gek

Double Diamond beer. Never drank it myself. It had disappeared by the time I was of drinking age.

I also remember a Lancer lager.

"Lancer is the lager
    With a special kind of zing.
    When you're in good company,
    Lancer is the thing"

What a spectacular piece of marketing that was.

Also remember a slew of lagers appearing in the offie in the 80s....Bavaria, Steiger (which was foul) and Dortmunder Union. Of course Bavaria is still around so can't really be calssed as a yesteryear drink.

I knew I recognised OranjeBoom but I never drank it. One drink they never had in the town I lived in was cider. Heelmaal gek

Echt?
    Serieuse?
    Verdomme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Back when I was in Maynooth the off licence sold bottles of Moosehead lager for €1 a pop around 2003 ish, it wasn't bad and was the cheapest you could get ny a long shot back then :cool:

• Advertisement

Echt?
    Serieuse?
    Verdomme!

Some English lads I knew could get British cider in an international supermarket in the next city but as far the town itself I never saw it either in the Super De Boer or the Aldi, There was one small offie near me and when I asked about cider he didnt know what I was on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sully123

Probably Biere D'or.
    250ml bottles. Impossible to get drunk on it somehow.

I remember there was 3 varieties of baveria.
    Baveria crown in the blue can
    Baveria 8.6
    And a green can that was around 5%

sully123 wrote: »
    Probably Biere D'or.
    250ml bottles. Impossible to get drunk on it somehow.

I remember there was 3 varieties of baveria.
    Baveria crown in the blue can
    Baveria 8.6
    And a green can that was around 5%

Got through a lot of Dorfmeister back in the day.
    5% and £1 a can was as good as it got in the early 90s.

Green and yellow iirc

Kronenbourg or at least the 1664 version is massive in England. It would be one of the most widely stocked cans in shops along with Grolsch. 1664 would be a big one in pubs too and Grolsch would appear in any Molson Coors owned or stocked pubs but they are both English brewed versions and don't taste the same as the Kronenbourg with the red and white label from France or the flip top Grolsch bottles from NL.

You see a fair bit of Heineken but not like here and thankfully F all Bud on draught

And DON'T drink it. It's awful stuff.

Some English lads I knew could get British cider in an international supermarket in the next city but as far the town itself I never saw it either in the Super De Boer or the Aldi, There was one small offie near me and when I asked about cider he didnt know what I was on about.

Yeah, they have Apple Bandits (obviously a renamed "Orchard Thieves") in Albert Heijn.....well the big ones in Amsterdam.

• Advertisement

Another one I just remembered was desperados.

Fairly popular when it launched first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Another one I just remembered was desperados.

Fairly popular when it launched first.

Still see it on shelves.
    And from a small sample size... empty bottles dumped on bull island alas

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And DON'T drink it. It's awful stuff.

Yeah my one and only encounter wit oranjeboom was the house party the day our plc course finished in nenagh

We stocked up on it because it was on special offer in the local off licence ( he couldn’t sell it and coming up to sell by date)

Happily opened the first can around 11 am and following a full days drinkin including the obligatory tour of the pubs and then 2 nightclubs (them were the days!!) with plenty of shots and mad cocktails

went back to the house party and continued with the Oranjeboom even though it’s basically cat p1ss in a can

Some hangover the next day I can vouch for that

Just remember another one that I Havnt seen in years

Oorangeboom or something??? Dutch lager

Cheap and nasty

Edit - found it. - https://www.oranjeboom1671.com/

Vaguely remember the offie had marked down this to clear it from stock. We piled in.

House party the day we graduated from the local PLC course. Was all day on this.

Then to the pub and nightclub for the obligatory fat frogs and aftershocks!!

Woeful hangover that lasted about 3 days after.

Never again.

Oh ffs looks like I’d told the very same story earlier in the thread. Don’t mind me, I’ll let myself out....!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah my one and only encounter wit oranjeboom was the house party the day our plc course finished in nenagh

We stocked up on it because it was on special offer in the local off licence ( he couldn’t sell it and coming up to sell by date)

Happily opened the first can around 11 am and following a full days drinkin including the obligatory tour of the pubs and then 2 nightclubs (them were the days!!) with plenty of shots and mad cocktails

went back to the house party and continued with the Oranjeboom even though it’s basically cat p1ss in a can

Some hangover the next day I can vouch for that

I have a feeling the oranjeboom wasn't the only issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement