Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

If insurance companies are going to reject you simply because you have had a COVID test - even a negative one - that means no doctor, nurse, meat factory worker, pharmacist, dentist or anyone who has ever been admitted to hospital will ever get insurance again.

Utter nonsense.

And surely the question would cover pcr as well as antigen tests? So your daughter would have to declare her two home tests anyway.

I had no problem at all sending my daughter for a pcr test once the cough showed up - even if I was sure it was just a regular cough because there was a small chance it could have been COVID.

If I was as worried as you, I would submit a data protection request in a year’s time, see if they were still holding details of my daughter’s test, and ask them to delete it.

Not that an insurance company could access the information anyway, it would be a massive GDPR breach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm confused as to why that would stop you getting tested?

If I need to finance something, think you misunderstood me, not refusing a test just doing it at home if it's positive we'll follow the recommendations and speak with a doctor if necessary. There's no legal obligation on you to have a pcr test, antigen is a few euro and you know in minutes if your infectious to other people without all the drama. If you ask me it's the better of the two both have pros and cons.

My nephew is off school over two weeks has had 3 negative school demanded pcr and still not back. Test everyone on the way into school they can do it themselves and just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The infection of teachers who have denied vaccination prioritisation is nothing short of shameful.
    Sums up the sort of scummy kip this country is.

JDD wrote: »
    If insurance companies are going to reject you simply because you have had a COVID test - even a negative one - that means no doctor, nurse, meat factory worker, pharmacist, dentist or anyone who has ever been admitted to hospital will ever get insurance again.

Utter nonsense.

And surely the question would cover pcr as well as antigen tests? So your daughter would have to declare her two home tests anyway.

I had no problem at all sending my daughter for a pcr test once the cough showed up - even if I was sure it was just a regular cough because there was a small chance it could have been COVID.

If I was as worried as you, I would submit a data protection request in a year’s time, see if they were still holding details of my daughter’s test, and ask them to delete it.

Not that an insurance company could access the information anyway, it would be a massive GDPR breach.

I don't in anyway believe anyone will be denied anything for having a negative test, I said the wording seem to be changing when your entering places. I found it an odd question.

I wouldn't be declaring a home test kit to a financial institution, tbh she's 3 I don't think she'll remember and there will be no official record.

On going for the test that's where we differ, I wouldn't send her as I knew she didn't have it, you were pretty sure but sent her anyway which I completely understand most people would, I just know how the Creche operate if you don't stand your ground it'll be the same crack until the pandemic is declared over.
    You know your own kid, she'll probably have a few more coughs or sniffle before the year is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I don't in anyway believe anyone will be denied anything for having a negative test, I said the wording seem to be changing when your entering places. I found it an odd question.

I wouldn't be declaring a home test kit to a financial institution, tbh she's 3 I don't think she'll remember and there will be no official record.

On going for the test that's where we differ, I wouldn't send her as I knew she didn't have it, you were pretty sure but sent her anyway which I completely understand most people would, I just know how the Creche operate if you don't stand your ground it'll be the same crack until the pandemic is declared over.
    You know your own kid, she'll probably have a few more coughs or sniffle before the year is out.

Oh sure I know it. My son had a pcr test before having to have his teeth out. The creche tried to tell me that he couldn't come back in before we got the result (back when that was taking 2/3 days), which was nonsense because he wasn't getting the test because he had symptoms or because he was a close contact, he was getting it because that was the hospital rules before they would carry out the procedure. I had to ring the head office and explain, and then they rang the creche and he was back in the next day.

I don't really blame the creche manager - people get paranoid the minute they hear the words "covid test", but a little common sense wouldn't have gone astray.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Off topic posts deleted, let's stick to schools and covid here folks

Can we get some explanation of this comment? Shes 3 so I can understand not wanting to subject her to a PCR test as they are not nice but, ignoring the typo, the suggestion here is that a bank will access these records and refuse a loan to a grown woman because she was tested for covid19 at 3 years of age. Is that correct?
    The reason I didn't send her for the pcr tests is 2 fold, she didn't have it and there's no guarantee a bank or insurance company may use it against her in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Wow, that is a dangerous mentality.

You can't have it both ways.

Either
    1. you're in favour of schools remaining open and get your child tested when they show symptoms
    Or
    2. you will have to accept that they schools be closed because of recklessness of that type from selfish individuals who are willing to risk the lives of others in the community

I never heard the like in all my life. It reminds me of a lad I know who was in denial about having the clap and going around infecting girls because it was symptomless for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

When I tested positive in October, both my kids (3 and 6 at the time) had to have two tests. Neither of them were any worse for wear after either in all honesty. Elder one had a sneezing fit after the first and the 3 year old barely reacted at all!

Necro wrote: »
    When I tested positive in October, both my kids (3 and 6 at the time) had to have two tests. Neither of them were any worse for wear after either in all honesty. Elder one had a sneezing fit after the first and the 3 year old barely reacted at all!

They put me too shame so. I felt like I was being stabbed in the brain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has there been any guidance from Dept of Ed in relation to school tours ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

SusanC10 wrote: »

Basically don’t run them
    If you do then stay within own county and don’t use buses .........

km79 wrote: »
    Basically don’t run them
    If you do then stay within own county and don’t use buses .........

Good. Parents WhatsApp going on about having a school tour. Was hoping that there was guidance there. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Really are they saying 'dont run them' ? I think once again common sense should prevail. Our 5th/6th class (one classroom) have s day at local outdoor activity centre mix of water / land activities. This in in June. they are going to walk down (3km) & parents pick up. Am thrilled for them. Teachers happy too. Surely it's better than being in a classroom all day from a safety pov??

DSN wrote: »
    Really are they saying 'dont run them' ? I think once again common sense should prevail. Our 5th/6th class (one classroom) have s day at local outdoor activity centre mix of water / land activities. This in in June. they are going to walk down (3km) & parents pick up. Am thrilled for them. Teachers happy too. Surely it's better than being in a classroom all day from a safety pov??

Tbh - that sounds ok to me (Parent).
    Unfortunately, for most Schools (incl our Primary) this wouldn't be feasible. They would need to get a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

DSN wrote: »

So staying local and not using buses ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They don't perform the test on kids the same way on adults. My daughter laughed when getting it done, she is 10

km79 wrote: »
    So staying local and not using buses ....

Parents drive them to the location

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Well this activity centre is getting TY student groups at the moment - on buses because I see them there. And our school were lucky to get a date as booking up fast in June only 3 national schools within reasonable walking distance so guess like that seems like it can happen if numbers small enough. I doubt schools would risk breaking guidelines at this stage but could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

My kid's school had their school tour last week. They went to Fota Wildlife Park in Cork, so it was all outdoors. No buses - kids had to be dropped off and picked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'm currently trying to convince my principal to allow me see if parents are happy to drop and pick up at water activities place about 20km away. They don't seem to enamored by it but I know full well that my parents would jump at the opportunity to facilitate.

I'm currently trying to convince my principal to allow me see if parents are happy to drop and pick up at water activities place about 20km away. They don't seem to enamored by it but I know full well that my parents would jump at the opportunity to facilitate.

Just got to ensure no car pooling happens. That is the only thing. Drop off will need to be outside work hours in the morning, afternoons you can work around, as people can re-org meetings etc. Mornings can be harder.

Just got to ensure no car pooling happens. That is the only thing. Drop off will need to be outside work hours in the morning, afternoons you can work around, as people can re-org meetings etc. Mornings can be harder.

Agree re the carpooling. My thoughts are that drops offs and pickups won't be an issue once parents are given enough notice and they can arrange things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I am taking my class on a school tour to an outdoor activity not too far from us. The kids were nearly sick with excitement when I told them, I've never seen a class so happy to go somewhere.

I am taking my class on a school tour to an outdoor activity not too far from us. The kids were nearly sick with excitement when I told them, I've never seen a class so happy to go somewhere.

Walking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Walking there?

Nope, bussing there. But we'll be following the guidance of minimise bus use, distancing while on the bus, sanitisers, yadda yadda. All in line with the letter to principals. And they'll be in masks for it.

Nope, bussing there. But we'll be following the guidance of minimise bus use, distancing while on the bus, sanitisers, yadda yadda. All in line with the letter to principals. And they'll be in masks for it.

Our one wouldn't even allow any thoughts of buses. The few parents who I chat quiet chats to about it were of the opinion hat parents wouldn't have any issue having to pay for two buses to split the class. Nope, nope, NOPE was thr thoughts of the principal when I broached it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Are school tours allowed? Have to say I'm not too keen on the thoughts this year
    I dont think it'll kill them to miss out this year,

Cramming a full class into a bus, enclosed for at least an hour, to a centre where other children are/ have beem- you've no control over cleanliness
    Can't see myself doing it unless I'm forced by principal

Are school tours allowed? Have to say I'm not too keen on the thoughts this year
    I dont think it'll kill them to miss out this year,

Cramming a full class into a bus, enclosed for at least an hour, to a centre where other children are/ have beem- you've no control over cleanliness
    Can't see myself doing it unless I'm forced by principal

See the difference is that I have 6th. An excellent class and they deserve to have as near as normal end to primary school as I can provide them with. Plenty of schools around us and others in different parts of the country where friends of mine work are holding 6th class tours with additional buses or with parents dropping and collecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I would appreciate thoughts on this. A friend of mine has a child in primary school, 2nd class I think. There was a case in the class so the child had to isolate, test etc.

However the school then said that her siblings also had to stay off until the first test came back.
    Surely that is not HSE guidelines. My understanding is that contacts of confirmed cases obviously have to isolate, but contacts of contacts do not.
    Obviously if the test comes back positive then they are contacts.

Would that be the norm in primary school or just an individual principal putting his own interpretation on rules.

Imo it was a bit mad, kids have missed enough this year.

joe40 wrote: »
    I would appreciate thoughts on this. A friend of mine has a child in primary school, 2nd class I think. There was a case in the class so the child had to isolate, test etc.

However the school then said that her siblings also had to stay off until the first test came back.
    Surely that is not HSE guidelines. My understanding is that contacts of confirmed cases obviously have to isolate, but contacts of contacts do not.

Would that be the norm in primary school or just an individual principal putting his own interpretation on rules.

My understanding is that Close Contacts who are not showing any symptoms have to isolate (and get tested) but their household members do not.
    But if the Close Contact becomes symptomatic or tests positive then all household members need to isolate and get tested.

That having been said, as Parents Husband & I agreed before the kids went back to school that if either of them were classed as a close contact then we would keep the other at home until a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭noplacehere

My understanding is that Close Contacts who are not showing any symptoms have to isolate (and get tested) but their household members do not.
    But if the Close Contact becomes symptomatic or tests positive then all household members need to isolate and get tested.

That having been said, as Parents Husband & I agreed before the kids went back to school that if either of them were classed as a close contact then we would keep the other at home until a negative test.

As a parent we do the same. It’s better for the school and usually only a 24-48hold for them at most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thats fair enough if it is your decision, but it is unfair for schools to force that on all parents.
    I fully support following all HSE guidelines, but I think it is wrong for schools to put there own interpretation on the rules.

joe40 wrote: »

In this scenario, if the child was infected, it would be 6-10 days at least after exposure before any siblings would subsequently become infectious

• Advertisement

A question:

Are teachers entitled to claim the allowance/tax relief granted to all other workers for working from home during COVID-19?

TheTorment wrote: »
    A question:

Are teachers entitled to claim the allowance/tax relief granted to all other workers for working from home during COVID-19?

I didn't bother. No commute meant damn all money on fuel. I'd normally spend €60-70 a week so thought it would be cheeky to then claim the tax allowance even though I was entitled to.

I didn't bother. No commute meant damn all money on fuel. I'd normally spend €60-70 a week so thought it would be cheeky to then claim the tax allowance even though I was entitled to.

Fair enough I suppose....but don't you think you pay enough tax anyway?? Be nice to get something back and you are entitled to it....

Anyone any idea how I'd go about claiming it please?

Fair enough I suppose....but don't you think you pay enough tax anyway?? Be nice to get something back and you are entitled to it....

I think that if the Employer doesn't offer it, then you need to submit bills etc and are given a rebate of those of a certain amount. Open to correction here but seems anecdotally the amounts are small.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

In this scenario, if the child was infected, it would be 6-10 days at least after exposure before any siblings would subsequently become infectious

Unless they were already infected, that is, at the same time as their sibling. They could quite possibly be infected and asymptomatic.

• Advertisement

Unless they were already infected, that is, at the same time as their sibling. They could quite possibly be infected and asymptomatic.

Child A is positive .

Child B is a contact

Child B stays off from school

4 to 6 days later child B becomes infectious

Child C, child B’s sibling is exposed to child B during infectious period

Child C becomes infectious 4 to 6 days later

Now why would child C need to stay home from school once child A was identified as a case, given in the 10 days before they become infectious child B will be tested twice

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Rollercoaster

Information is available on the Revenue.ie website.

See this link:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Information is available on the Revenue.ie website.

See this link:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx

It seems tiny when u see worked examples. Doesn't look worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

TheDriver wrote: »
    It seems tiny when u see worked examples. Doesn't look worth it.

Yes, it is small.

10% of elec/gas, 30% of broadband.

My elec is 80 pm approx.

10% of that is 8.00, but note that I must account for weekends, etc.

Maybe 5.30 pm, at 40%, means 2 euro tax relief per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Awful situation for those involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Awful situation for those involved.

Indeed…… where are all the cretins who are demanding the opening of indoor dining now.

Where are the cretins who ignore the normal regulations such a masking up ,social distancing, no mixing in houses, no play dates.

Where are they now….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Indeed…… where are all the cretins who are demanding the opening of indoor dining now.

Where are the cretins who ignore the normal regulations such a masking up ,social distancing, no mixing in houses, no play dates.

Where are they now….

Id imagine happily living their lives.

Vaccine rollout is going well, life is getting back on track for many businesses finally. There is no going back now, we will be living with covid imo.

Anyone listen to Pat Kenny this morning, this is exactly where antigen tests should be used in outbreaks like schools, test at home for a couple of days then back to school if all good, those PCR tests are throwing up 50% past infections, the people are no longer infectious or you could be sending them back with a negative test but they could be at peak infection 3 days later.
    Antigen will pick up a transmissible case, the rate of false positives was quoted at 10 in 300,000, test again if positive to confirm.
    Seems like schools need to follow businesses in using quick tests if they're to remain functional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

UK government fiddling data on Covid in schools. Would never happen here....:rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/22/no-10-tried-to-block-data-on-spread-of-new-covid-variant-in-english-schools

• Advertisement
Advertisement