Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised veg beds advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Wont use treated wood but will cover untreated wood in DPC..... does not compute.

Genuinely why bother with planks. 8 beds 3-4 ft wide with wood chic mulch in between. Done.

Replace mulch every 3-4 years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mimon wrote: »
    Are blocks not a risk? Doing research online they can leach chemicals.

Want to do raised beds, thanks for the tips on larch.

Blocks as in cut stone , not cement .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Planet X, I love those galvanised ones! Where does one source such a thing? :) I was all set to go off tomorrow and buy decking to just put another layer around my disintegrating ones, it wouldn't actually be in contact with the soil for a hell of a long time but I'd love those instead!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Bummer! I had actually gone through loads of that website last night looking at various options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

looksee wrote: »
    That is what I would usually do, but I got caught out last time as I put a load of brush/twiggy stuff in the bottom of a deep bed and of course it settled, so that the revealed fringe of plastic at the top leaned into the bed and got bits of leaf and soil behind it, so now I have to sort it out :)
    I have been filling some new beds and I put strong cardboard around the edges and overfilled them so that when they settle they will still be filled to the top, the cardboard will decompose.

Advertisement