Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccine , age before special interest groups good or bad? *Mod Note In OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Seems like a good plan as long as they can execute it well, being slightly older it means I will get one sooner rather than later. Meaning I can get my life back on track... hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

duffman13 wrote: »
    Well I can't help you there, I can only work on the projected supply into the country for the next 2-3 months and apply that to the adult population of Ireland which would mean that comfortably by Septmeber the majority of the teachers of Ireland would be vaccinated in full

Teachers are no more or less at risk of dying than the average person of the same age

Is there a reason to put that last sentence in your reply to me, given I have stated twice now that I support the change to the roll out based on risk, and made no arguments based on risk to teachers? It seems a little odd.

But regarding projected supply, so far it has not gone to schedule so I have zero confidence in their claims for such a timeline. If others do then that's grand and would explain why they're not concerned about disruption in the new school year. I hope they're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Let's not count our chickens yet.
    The interest groups could still get their way, interesting article here on the RTE Web page. https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0331/1207137-teachers-vaccine/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

YellowLead wrote: »
    What is IBD if you don’t mind me asking?

Inflammatory bowel disease?
    Could be wrong though.

Rolling it out by age is definitely the way to go.

There was a high amount of health care workers off sick after they received their first jab of AZ. I’d say there would be staff shortage issues across plenty of professions if they hadn’t changed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

So you have the teachers unions, guards up in arms over this.

The one industrial sector (apart from HCW) who have actually been badly effected by large outbreaks is the meat processing plants, they wont even get a mention.
    But they dont have them big unions and lobby groups to shout for them I guess.

Overall I think this is the right thing for the government to do anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

Multipass wrote: »
    I think it makes sense. Just heard someone from a transport union on the radio say their members will refuse to go above 50% capacity until they’re vaccinated. Pretty despicable to try to use leverage like that.
    It may well be the right thing on balance to vaccinate by age, but don't pretend that there aren't consequences resulting from that, eg reduced capacity on public transport for a longer time.

Some people are really losing the run of themselves here. I suppose the thread title sets the scene with "special interest groups" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes I think its a good idea .It cuts out a huge admin problem with groups lobbying and those who can shout loudest getting it first .Although I would make an exception for teachers in special needs schools and facilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

But good point regarding special needs teachers - I would have thought regular teachers would be re deployed to facilitate their classes and not the other way around!!!

I guess that just demonstrates that you have no understanding of how schools operate, so it makes more sense that you aren't concerned about staffing related closures and disruption. I'm glad to hear your child's school has managed well though. I can't say the same for the schools with which I'm familiar.

Hopefully these plans for adults to be vaccinated by September are accurate though. I will be delighted to be wrong if it happens.

What is IBD if you don’t mind me asking?

Irritable Bowel Disease.

It can be very serious for people and does involve taking steroids that bring down your immune system.

But I think elderly should be prioritised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

So you have the teachers unions, guards up in arms over this.

The one industrial sector (apart from HCW) who have actually been badly effected by large outbreaks is the meat processing plants, they wont even get a mention.
    But they dont have them big unions and lobby groups to shout for them I guess.

Overall I think this is the right thing for the government to do anyway....

Are meat processing plants not getting prioritised via the old group 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Government have got this right

Its how a Republic should operate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Teachers, who have not suffered any income reduction, are really showing themselves to be a pathetic bunch in this pandemic.

The idea that a 29 year old teacher should be vaccinated before a person in their 60s is daft.

Teachers, who have not suffered any income reduction, are really showing themselves to be a pathetic bunch in this pandemic.

The idea that a 29 year old teacher should be vaccinated before a person in their 60s is daft.

The fact that you equate income reduction to a right to voice concerns speaks volumes.

Do you really think that an SNA or a Special Education Teacher or member of staff working in July provision should not be vaccinated ahead of someone working from home? Not just for their protection but for the protection and education of the children in their care?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Listening to Dr Butler there, its an absolute good. It isn't even a close call for debate. There will be moaning from interest groups not understanding, or not wanting to understand the science, but its is clearly the fairest way.

Listening to Dr Butler there, its an absolute good. It isn't even a close call for debate. There will be moaning from interest groups not understanding, or not wanting to understand the science, but its is clearly the fairest way.

What was that on? Would like to listen back? I'm on the fence overall as I'm slow to trust that the rollout will be as fast as they say.

Teachers are being heard loudly protesting, but that's because they are literally paying people, whose job is to moan on their behalf.

The fact that you equate income reduction to a right to voice concerns speaks volumes.

Do you really think that an SNA or a Special Education Tecaher or member of staff working in July provision should not be vaccinated ahead of someone working from home? Not just for their protection but for the protection and education of the children in their care?

Speaks volumes about? My integrity?

The process is prioritising on age because older people are more likely to end up in hospital or die.

Vaccinating younger people (even if they work in close contact with other people) before older people therefore is daft.

Just because a job involves working in close contact with people, doesn't entitle you to a vaccine. Age is the issue.

What was that on? Would like to listen back? I'm on the fence overall as I'm slow to trust that the rollout will be as fast as they say.

Dobson on on Rte radio 1.

Do you really think that an SNA or a Special Education Teacher or member of staff working in July provision should not be vaccinated ahead of someone working from home? Not just for their protection but for the protection and education of the children in their care?

Will they not still be vaccinating people with serious medical issues regardless of age? I thought that part wasn’t changing.

• Advertisement

Speaks volumes about? My integrity?

The process is prioritising on age because older people are more likely to end up in hospital or die.

Vaccinating younger people (even if they work in close contact with other people) before older people therefore is daft.

Just because a job involves working in close contact with people, doesn't entitle you to a vaccine. Age is the issue.

Working in close contact does put you at more risk. That's why health care workers not treating covid patients, dentists etc were vaccinated.

"Relative to non-essential workers, healthcare workers (RR 7.43, 95% CI 5.52 to 10.00), social and education workers (RR 1.84, 95% CI 1.21 to 2.82) and other essential workers (RR 1.60, 95% CI 1.05 to 2.45) had a higher risk of severe COVID-19."

https://oem.bmj.com/co...01/oemed-2020-106731

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Irritable Bowel Disease.

It can be very serious for people and does involve taking steroids that bring down your immune system.

But I think elderly should be prioritised.

Your FIL would probably be Pfizer. Lots of 2nd doses to do with it but if they do boost their rates of delivery it shouldn't be too long.

Will they not still be vaccinating people with serious medical issues regardless of age? I thought that part wasn’t changing.

Yes people with serious medical issues are still being vaccinated, I didn't suggest they weren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Dobson on on Rte radio 1.

Very informative piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, those groups won't change.

Working in close contact does put you at more risk. That's why health care workers not treating covid patients, dentists etc were vaccinated.

"Relative to non-essential workers, healthcare workers (RR 7.43, 95% CI 5.52 to 10.00), social and education workers (RR 1.84, 95% CI 1.21 to 2.82) and other essential workers (RR 1.60, 95% CI 1.05 to 2.45) had a higher risk of severe COVID-19."

Health care workers coming into contact with sick people, possibly covid. I don't think anyone has an issue with them getting vaccinated.

Health care workers coming into contact with sick people, possibly covid. I don't think anyone has an issue with them getting vaccinated.

Neither do I, my point is close proximity to others increases risk. Where this cannot be mitagated I feel these people should be prioritised for vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Age is, by far, the biggest factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Listening to reasoning by the immunisation group it's the right decision. It's the numbers and while I realize some might be hit hard by the sickness older people are at more risk of dying. I don't believe in discussions who is more deserving (dangerous road to go down), the only criteria should be who will most likely die or get seriously sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

There's swings and roundabout

Funny for the most part teachers are the same or better off than the old plan

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376991063680880642

No changes to first 8 cohorts

If any teacher in groups 9 - 10 64-45 then better off

Group 11 44-35 the same

That leaves 34-21 year old teachers really

In the old plan I'd have been group 10 along with guards, other essential workers

Anybody 44 or below is worse off in the new plan

Now I'm in group 11 so a downgrade as well

Still I can accept why they've gone this way

Advertisement