Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I eat for a week for 25 Euro ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ish66 wrote: »
    Sorry, I had to go out for a few hours so to answer a few questions
    I eat everything
    The 25 has to cover all my food bar fresh milk bread etc. I have a seperate 5 euro for that stuff
    I have gathered tons of info from your posts and am heading to Aldi @6. I will post up what I got when I come back. This should be interesting...for you lol !
    Check back in a while and thanks again all, Mark:D

Cordless drill and 7 pot noodles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

PARlance wrote: »
    Cordless drill and 7 pot noodles?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Right folks the shopping and me are home. I slightly overshot the 25 euro budget
    by 1.12, So E26.12. To try and keep it authentic I walked !
    So, Walked through Fairview Park down to East Wall Rd where Aldi and Lidl face each other, I went to both.
    The Haul...
    Meat..6 Chicken thighs, 4 pork chops and a family pack of cooked ham

Veg...Net of onions, bag of carrots, brocelli. sprouts and a whole turnip for 22c oh and a tray of tomatoes and 1 of musheooms and a big bag of baby spuds, the micro job ones but be also boiled

Other stuff, fresh large pan, 2 lt milk, block of red cheese and a green and red pepper and finally a tiny weeny bit of chocolate (as my reward)
    My presses are full of spices and every condiment god created.
    Do you want a daily pic (jazzed up by my over the top descriptions ) ?
    I have coffee tea sugar etc, I forgot to add 1 pk of spagetti and 1 bag of the swirly shape pasta to tonight's Shopping listi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Right folks the shopping and me are home. I slightly overshot the 25 euro budget
    So, Walked through Fairview Park down to East Wall Rd where Aldi and Lidl face each other, I went to both.
    The Haul...

Veg...Net of onions, bag of carrots, brocelli. sprouts and a whole turnip for 22c oh and a tray of tomatoes and 1 of musheooms and a big bag of baby spuds, the micro job ones but be also boiled

Other stuff, fresh large pan, 2 lt milk, block of red cheese and a green and red pepper and finally a tiny weeny bit of chocolate (as my reward)

You did well.
    Did you get any pasta or rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

I don't think it's possible to feed oneself for €3.57 a day esp if it includes all basics, coffee, sugar, butter, teas, cooking oil etc. All those things cost 'euros' not cents. €3.57 would hardly buy a sandwich in a cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Shauna677 wrote: »
    I don't think it's possible to feed oneself for €3.57 a day esp if it includes all basics, coffee, sugar, butter, teas, cooking oil etc. All those things cost 'euros' not cents. €3.57 would hardly buy a sandwich in a cafe.

During the bad times I remember a friend telling me he had sat down with MABS to be told to budget €4 per person per day for shopping.

A large 1.9kg whole chicken is about a fiver and I get dinner for two of us out of that for two days. On day 1, roast breast and wing each and day 2, all the other meat stripped, diced and used up in either a curry or pasta bake (you could use jars for the sauces for either if you prefer or find it easier).

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

The Haul...

In order to save money you have to make time to prepare.
    Next time instead of buying family pack ham for say 5euro which is processed bits of meat buy a joint of ham for 5euros, boil and then put in the oven with honey and mustard. You will get better quality ham, a good meal and some left over for lunches.
    Have a look at the price per kilo than the packet price.
    You may find chicken slippers(bits under the breast) are cheaper than thighs and you could put bread crumbs on them. And they are lovely baked in the oven.
    Have a look at frozen veg. Often cheaper than fresh and you can take out what you need. No waste.
    The less processed the cheaper it is. Make from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

I have coffee tea sugar etc, I forgot to add 1 pk of spagetti and 1 bag of the swirly shape pasta to tonights Shopping list:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Can I eat for a week on €26.12+ today's shopping thread. :pac:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

con747 wrote: »
    Chicken breasts usually 5 for €5 so that would do a pasta dish, curry, and stir fry all for less than €10 with just 4 days left.
    I have found a full large chicken is the cheapest way to get chicken.

Those breast are typically about 125g, so about €8 per kilo.

I have posted before weights from whole chickens, if you cut the breasts off and were to throw the rest away it was the same price or cheaper than buying the cheapest breast meat -or just a tiny bit more.

You have to look for price per kilo and factor in offers too, the large pack is not always the cheapest per kilo. The OP mentioned pork mince. In tesco for a good while now you get 3x800g packs for €10, which is only €4.17 per kilo. Now for a single person you would be sick of it, but they have loads in this "3 for 10" offer

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32964276

rubadub wrote: »
    I have found a full large chicken is the cheapest way to get chicken.

Those breast are typically about 125g, so about €8 per kilo.

I have posted before weights from whole chickens, if you cut the breasts off and were to throw the rest away it was the same price or cheaper than buying the cheapest breast meat -or just a tiny bit more.

You have to look for price per kilo and factor in offers too, the large pack is not always the cheapest per kilo. The OP mentioned pork mince. In tesco for a good while now you get 3x800g packs for €10, which is only €4.17 per kilo. Now for a single person you would be sick of it, but they have loads in this "3 for 10" offer

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32964276
    I get mine in my local butcher 5 for €5, I don't weigh them but they are large chicken breasts much bigger than the supermarkets offers.

The thing I find about chicken breasts is they are pretty tasteless really.

I used to use chicken fillets all the time, but then discovered that leftover roast chicken (both brown and white meat) in a curry or pasta bake actually has a lot more flavour than plain chicken breasts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Speaking of tasteless, Dunnes are selling big 500g blocks of tofu for €1.50. I quite like it, and that is very cheap. Aldi too I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

To have the store cupboard to provide the cents-worth of condiments, spices etc would probably cost €200 to build up even in discounters/Asian supermarkets. For regular posters on here that could be €400 - think of all the odder spices, sauces, pastes etc you have and how much each pack cost, even if you use a cents worth at a time.

Its possible to have a low ongoing cost covering basic ingredients + replenishment of store cupboard as required but it wouldn't be €25 a week for a single person.

€50 a week for two is more plausible, though. Cost doesn't scale linearly with bigger pack sizes, less waste and so on.

There is a UK-based Youtuber who has done some ridiculous cost challenges for either himself or himself + his wife (rarely - I suspect he'd like to stay married!) and has had to resort to store cupboard use, foraging and even occasionally bin-diving to get in under some of the price points, and often works out that he's massively in calorie shortage as a result. You'll have to dig through his videos to find them as he covers a lot of other stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Speaking of tasteless, Dunnes are selling big 500g blocks of tofu for €1.50. I quite like it, and that is very cheap. Aldi too I think?

Yes Aldi has started to sell tofu recently. It's with the cheese in my local Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

Don't forget about offal kidneys, liver and hearts best meat you can get for pennies, frozen veg lasts longer and there dient tend to be wastage
    Flour is your friend makes wraps - flour and water, bread, potato cakes, dumplings

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

One small chicken will do 6 meals plus soup, 2 breasts, 2 legs, rest for a pie and bones for soup could prob make more out of it if I was paying more attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭maebee

I know it's not to everybody's taste but I do my shopping after 7pm in the "reduced to clear" section of my local Tesco. Tonight I got 3 pork steaks for €2 each, 1Lt of milk 29c, a 24 box of satsumas for 50c and a Tesco Finest pizza for 79c. They're all dated as best by today's date. The freezables go straight into the freezer and are perfect when defrosted. The satsumas will be fine for the next few days. I've been shopping like this for 30 years and reckon I've saved a fortune. Now I don't know where my fortune is though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

L1011 wrote: »
    There is a UK-based Youtuber who has done some ridiculous cost challenges for either himself or himself + his wife (rarely - I suspect he'd like to stay married!) and has had to resort to store cupboard use, foraging and even occasionally bin-diving to get in under some of the price points, and often works out that he's massively in calorie shortage as a result. You'll have to dig through his videos to find them as he covers a lot of other stuff too.

That's verging on the insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 527 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

You should check out this website, plenty of options for you. I have her book.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

To answer the thread title....yes.
    If fact you can eat for a week for as little as 10euro. Fruit,Spuds,pasta,veg, ketchup,pesto. Or substitute diy bread for one of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

For lots of bread for the week: 1kg plain flour, bread soda, 1lt buttermilk.
    This will make roughly 10 soda bread loafs! For 3 euro...

lalababa wrote: »
    For lots of bread for the week: 1kg plain flour, bread soda, 1lt buttermilk.
    This will make roughly 10 soda bread loafs! For 3 euro...

10 loafs out of 1kg of flour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

10 loafs out of 1kg of flour?

The miracle of the loaves! No fish this time to stay within budget ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

25 Easter eggs from Tesco. (Cadbury's, obviously).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't forget specialty Asian shops for bulk buying of rice, lentils and nyommer things to add to them.
    Black lentil dahl is so tasty it must be a sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How much are those roast chicken from supermarket? Wait till the end of the day and they're like a euro each

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I get mine in my local butcher 5 for €5, I don't weigh them but they are large chicken breasts much bigger than the supermarkets offers.
    It is very likely these are "brined" pumped full of water, so that should be factored in if you did weigh them. I see butchers near me get them in as trays of 25. I saw a butcher with different prices for Irish & Dutch fillets.

If a butchers is selling fillets significantly cheaper than the supermarket then you would think it would follow that they could sell whole chickens significantly cheaper too, but that would rarely be the case.
    maebee wrote: »
    I know it's not to everybody's taste but I do my shopping after 7pm in the "reduced to clear" section of my local Tesco.
    My tesco has gone very scabby with the reductions in the last year or so, you see people actually laughing at them. There is usually at least 1 whole chicken on offer though, usually 1 euro off.
    spurious wrote: »
    Don't forget specialty Asian shops for bulk buying of rice
    How much are you paying for rice? I find it more expensive than supermarkets. Tesco basmati is 99c per kilo and I think it is fine. If it was some high end Jasmine rice it could be cheaper but then that would be of no interest to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pork hocks are very tasty slow roast and one would feed 3 - 4 people.
    Very cheap.

Advertisement