Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I eat for a week for 25 Euro ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Breakfast: Pot noodles
    Lunch: Pot noodles
    Dinner: Pot noodles

Rinse and repeat...

maebee wrote: »
    I know it's not to everybody's taste but I do my shopping after 7pm in the "reduced to clear" section of my local Tesco. Tonight I got 3 pork steaks for €2 each, 1Lt of milk 29c, a 24 box of satsumas for 50c and a Tesco Finest pizza for 79c. They're all dated as best by today's date. The freezables go straight into the freezer and are perfect when defrosted. The satsumas will be fine for the next few days. I've been shopping like this for 30 years and reckon I've saved a fortune. Now I don't know where my fortune is though :).

One thing I have adapted to during during this pandemic is to no longer strictly adhere to best before / sell by dates on food.

There was a time when I would throw away anything "out of date".

Given the limited opportunities to shop, I no longer throw out food if its a day or two over. I let my eyes and nose be the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

One thing I have adapted to during during this pandemic is to no longer strictly adhere to best before / sell by dates on food.

There was a time when I would throw away anything "out of date".

Given the limited opportunities to shop, I no longer throw out food if its a day or two over. I let my eyes and nose be the judge.

Would agree with this regarding fruit and veg but never with meat or dairy, too risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Pork hocks are very tasty slow roast and one would feed 3 - 4 people.
    Very cheap.

+1

Can make your own sauerkraut very cheaply too and would go very well with a few hocks. The kraut keeps for a very long time can be made in large quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

rubadub wrote: »
    It is very likely these are "brined" pumped full of water, so that should be factored in if you did weigh them. I see butchers near me get them in as trays of 25. I saw a butcher with different prices for Irish & Dutch fillets.

If a butchers is selling fillets significantly cheaper than the supermarket then you would think it would follow that they could sell whole chickens significantly cheaper too, but that would rarely be the case.

My tesco has gone very scabby with the reductions in the last year or so, you see people actually laughing at them. There is usually at least 1 whole chicken on offer though, usually 1 euro off.

How much are you paying for rice? I find it more expensive than supermarkets. Tesco basmati is 99c per kilo and I think it is fine. If it was some high end Jasmine rice it could be cheaper but then that would be of no interest to the OP.

Not "brined or injected with water" that's why I have used my local good butcher who uses local farms for 30+ years.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

con747 wrote: »
    Not "brined or injected with water" that's why I have used my local good butcher who uses local farms for 30+ years.

That is a brilliant price so, you should post it in the bargain alerts forum. What butchers is it?

This place is selling 5 large Irish ones for €10, it does not say if they are brined though. https://thevillagebutcher.ie/product/irish-chicken-fillets-170-200g/

This was the place with 5 Irish ones for €7 they do claim no added water. It is so common these days if I was a butcher I would be shouting about it.

https://www.porkys.market/poultry/large-chicken-fillets-x-5

rubadub wrote: »
    That is a brilliant price so, you should post it in the bargain alerts forum. What butchers is it?

This place is selling 5 large Irish ones for €10, it does not say if they are brined though. https://thevillagebutcher.ie/product/irish-chicken-fillets-170-200g/

This was the place with 5 Irish ones for €7 they do claim no added water. It is so common these days if I was a butcher I would be shouting about it.

https://www.porkys.market/poultry/large-chicken-fillets-x-5

A butcher in the midlands who alternates deals every week on all meats, I know of Porky's in Cookstown they sell a lot of cheaper processed food a bit like The food factory outlets. Back to the thread, any updates OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

A first and tasty dinner from my E25/week challenge
    Chicken thighs, Sauteed mushrooms,Brocelli, Sprouts, Micro potatoes and Pepper Sauce.
    It really was tasty.
    25-dinner.jpg

How's the challenge going OP. How much did you end up spending since the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fascinating thread.

As a long-time pensioner? Well under E25 a week on my food. I am housebound and have access to Supervalu only so use their excellent web site and equally excellent Daily Basics range.

A large wholemeal loaf for around 80 cents; freeze in several portions

I eat almost no meat and less chicken. That cuts cost greatly. And always a treat or three! Their basic Cheddar cheese and eggs and pulses. And I eat simply with no foreign influence by choice. ie no pasta or sauces. Potatoes and vegetables rule, and I grow what I can. Still kale and other greens cropping.

And whatever is on special within my range.

A couple of times a week I might have one of their E4 ready meals. Great value and good to eat without having to cook occasionally.

Own brand instant coffee - and a friend in the US sends me Folgers singles. I truly am happy with what I eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

con747 wrote: »
    How's the challenge going OP. How much did you end up spending since the start?
    If you spend 25 on the main shop and an extra 5 for fresh milk/bread during the week you can eat very well for under 30 (for 1) and not feel hard done by at all !

Advertisement