Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours wind chines

Options
  • 31-03-2021 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Some family members recently retired to a new property. Their neighbours have 5 wind windchmes in garden, its a terraced house so gardens are beside each other, family told them chimes were bothering them and asked if they could remove them, they were aggressive and have put 2 more chimes up. They are not approachable, aggressive people so family is afraid but feel this is almost a sort of harassment. What can they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Jasminecat wrote: »
    Some family members recently retired to a new property. Their neighbours have 5 wind windchmes in garden, its a terraced house so gardens are beside each other, family told them chimes were bothering them and asked if they could remove them, they were aggressive and have put 2 more chimes up. They are not approachable, aggressive people so family is afraid but feel this is almost a sort of harassment. What can they do?

Well if someone moved in next door to me and started making requests straight off the bat I wouldn't exactly be bending over backwards to appease.

They've asked, they've been told no. Noise complaint to the council is the next step if they wish to pursue further

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i dont think theres anything they can do,
    the neighbours with the chimes are stupid idiots,
    unfortunately x per cent of people are selfish idiots.
    complaining more will just make the situation worse.
    putting up chimes is not illegal.
    maybe wear earbuds when outside in the garden,
    chimes only make noise when its windy .
    my advice is say nothing.no one wants to be in conflict with a neighbour
    24/7

Noise isn't illegal, at any volume, except between certain hours (is it 11pm-7am?) Wonder could the council tell them they have to take them inside from 11pm-7am each day.

That, or your family members could embrace the Fr. Stack way of life for a few days, which could be a reminder that politeness as neighbours is a two-way street.

I don't understand wind chimes, though. Noise for the sake of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It reminds me of those with ever barking dogs. The owners never seem to hear them. I don't get this urge for noise either in a community setting at all. Do the owners of the wind chimes hear them or does it bother them? Shakes head.....

Other than a few potshots at the offending things, which will be replaced anyway, you could always do a tit for tat and procure some noisy things yourself. Silicone ear plugs at the ready. This is war of the noises. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

lets be honest. ideally you needed your neighbours cooperation in this matter. It sounds like that ship has sailed. You are off to a bad start. The impression of new neighbours' advocating to someone who is there a while, as to what is acceptable and what is not in their own garden - really there was potential for causing friction between the houses. The optics aren't great.

We dont have good regulations around noise nuisance in this country. if the neighbour is creating a nuisance, there is a series of step you can take.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/lifestyle/no-need-to-suffer-noisy-neighbours-in-silence-29073444.html

ultimately you will either manage to come to agreement with the neighbours, or be willing to go to court, and demonstrate that it is a nuisance and that you have made reasonable efforts to reach a compromise with the neighbours. It might be worth trying to de-escalate things with the neighbour and see what can be achieved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement