Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but we know where we are? (Part whatever)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Still waitin.....dragged my sorry ass out if bed at 5.30 and the rain has prevented this race ftom starting 🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I figured it might, have logged out of Twitter etc and ignoring thread here to rule out spoilers for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I'm not a fan of password managers, for reasons too numerous and dull to go into here, so what I do for all my passwords is I have a short phrase that is symbolic to me and I have "rules" that apply numbers and special characters into that phrase. Let me try to give an example.

I'm a terrible tinkerer, I love to know how things work, so I tend to want to pull things apart and put them back together again. Things don't always work again once I've reassembled them. I've decided my symbolic phrase should be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

My 'rules' to use this as a password:

First, replace the second word (it) with the name of the website or organisation you're creating the password for, e.g. for a Boards password I would use the phrase "If Boards ain't broke, don't fix it" (I usually retain the capitalisation in the organisation's name that they apply to it themselves)

Next, replace any (lower case) vowels in the organisations name with numbers (a=1, e=2, i=3, 0=4, u=5); phrase is now "If B41rds ain't broke, don't fix it"

If only a short password is required (between 8-14 characters, usually most websites etc.) I use only the first letter of each word, retaining any capitalisation and punctuation; password would be "IB41a'b,d'fi"

If a longer password is required (say, for work logons) I will use the entire phrase as typed.

I know it sounds like a lot of effort for passwords, but all the effort is up-front, coming up with your personal, symbolic phrase and rules. Once you've done that, passwords are secure and easy to generate, and if necessary, you can work out what the password is even if you can't remember setting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Just read a post on another thread and had to read it again to confirm that I had read it correctly...the cheek of some people.

Anyone we know?

I have surgically attached my self to the couch, it's a bloody miserable day out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

I get what you're trying to say, @Addmagnet . However, I don't really trust my own brain in that regard. Besides, any password that a human can come up with is liable to be decipherable by a human, given enough time. This is all the more true if passwords can be traced back to one base phrase or principle, such as the one you demonstrated. Whilst it may seem random to the untrained eye, it is in effect pseudo-randomised.

Granted, even mechanically or electronically generated keys or passwords are not automatically safe from the human brain, in the 1930s, Polish cryptographer Marian Rejewski was famously able to reconstruct one of Germany's vaunted Enigma encryption machine using only a partially decrypted message and one of the Enigma's cypher rotors after all. The threshold to successful decryptions is significantly higher however. What's more, any human who knows a password can be made to reveal that password, whether by phishing, key loggers, or by more direct and physical means. A completely randomised password, coupled with a strong 2FA method as an extra layer of security is far harder to crack. I guess it boils down to how much you trust your own brain, and I for one don't trust that bastard for a minute...

Either way, I think we better get back to a more easily digestible topic. I think we lost the regular contributors a while back 😁

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Afternoon all! 😊😁

Had a decent sleep-in this morning, absolutely rotten wet and miserable day out there today. OH and myself thinking of going out for lunch and might be having an old college friend who’s up in Dublin drop over here later.

Not a Sunday to be out and about, that’s for sure! ☔️ 🌧

Leggy, the person it was aimed at took actually no offense , had a total opposite reaction than I would have had, must be me.

This is my ideal weekend, Saturday was like being in Spain and I was out from early morning until 6ish, shenanigans cancelled today due to wind and rain so I can laze about without feeling one bit guilty. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Laundry day 😪

Lots of bedding for the wash. What else would you do on a day like today?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My problems are like wack a mole. Knock one down and another pops up.

Local coffee shop doing 2 euro sit in coffees in real cups. And they are lovely.

Have to drive someone somewhere now.

Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest.

Washing the bed sheets.....when i was single that was the one day of the year I hated......the hassle of peelin the sheet off the mattress and off the quilt....all that hassle...🙄🙄🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

@[Deleted User] I think I know what thread you’re talking about and I for one would have taken offence and reported them for being a dick head.

The boss wants his walk and I must obey him 😂 In other news heading to the shop and trying to decide what to have for dinner

Back in the coffee shop for a 2 euro hot chocolate, lashing rain..

Don't give up - Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush playing again. Was also playing earlier.

Wise words 😃😃😃

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Had a steady stream of people coming to the house to pay respects to Munster, flowers and all. That dog really had an impact on people.

Wife also allowed me register on the local humane society site, she is starting to feel how unfulfilling life is without a dog wandering around.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sitting with a well earned beer, settling in to watch Pool v Aesewipes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I might need more beer 🥵

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Grr awake early.

Myself and the eldest chick are having takeaway Pizza.....its only massive 😋😋😋

Pizza is savage, ever in Galway try the sicilian from wooza, magnifique

Crying now seeing the faces of those who died in Donegal. Parents and kids. Terribly sad.

I wish we could all just stop for a week and stop this crazy greedy headlong rushing into nothing and take a really good look at ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Ugh, should have put the bins out earlier when it wasn’t raining 😩

Very lazy day, but did some cooking, cottage pie in the oven and just about to throw some apples in to puff pastry to make some sort of turnover/apple slice.

Just finished a marathon deep clean of all the bathrooms. Took ages but feel great after getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Humane society site stated that they needed 2-4 weeks to vet and approve people, so I thought that we had plenty of time. They just approved me within 6 hours. Agh, toooooo fast.

Jaysis, i'm sure if you explained your situation they'd give you time.. Not surprised you were approved fast though..

Wild night.

First in a while.

Everywhere is a bathroom if you are shameless enough!.

• Advertisement

Ocone ocone, alack and alas

Advertisement