Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't know where we're going, but we know where we are? (Part whatever)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭thomil

Deskside, stunned at the pictures and news coming out of Germany.

Sorry for bringing down the mood, but the magnitude of those floods is only now beginning to sink in...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Awful. And they seem to have taken people completely by surprise.

It's not so much that. The part of Germany that got hit is notorious for being a severe weather hotspot. The get flooded about every five to ten years and have adapted to that. It's just that the scale of this particular disaster is so far beyond anything we've seen before.

Entire villages effectively wiped off the map, over a hundred fatalities with nearly 2000 people missing, complete communications breakdown, no drinking water in some cities, a major fuel pipeline has been damaged, German army units put under local control because the ministry of defence can't handle all the requests for assistance. I've seen some severe floods in my time, namely the 2002 and 2013 floods, but this is just beyond anything we'd have ever expected in Germany. And the numbers are still climbing by the hour...

Good God, Thomil! That is an absolutely horrific catastrophe! I knew it was bad but you really put it in perspective for me. Hope all of your loved ones are safe.

I don't have any living relatives anymore, so that's at least some worry off my back. I have quite a few friends who have family in the affected areas though.

Makes you glad to be in Ireland, to be honest. Even severe weather over here is mostly pretty mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ya duuuurty minx! 🤣🤣

Thomil, your post really puts our complaints about the weather into context. I can't even imagine that devastation here.

My gifs aren't filling the post box but that might be due to my phone and operating system.

I have to go all the way in to town just for an hour thing and then back home again. Earlier I was of a mind to cancel but no. Sure lookit it's not like I'd rather avoid 5pm city traffic. That's good craic.

We are all back anyways 😊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thomil, only this morning even aware of it, amazed how little reporting I saw when I saw the magnitude of the disaster

I like how we can summons people @Autosport. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My weekly car gathering was rather quiet this morning, but this beauty looks as good as the day it left Detroit. He has installed 6 litre fuel injected engine so it also sounded great.

My laptop is kaput. It's been with my IT guy for a almost a month. He initially diagnosed a problem with the screen and ordered a replacement. When that didnt work, he thought he'd been sent a dud and we've been waiting over three weeks for that to arrive. This morning it landed and when that one didnt work either IT guy realised the problem lay elsewhere. A big, time consuming and expensive job to fix and as it's nearly a decade old now and owes me nothing, Mr Sardi has been deployed to Curries PC world for a new one. I'm sad to let it go. It was a good machine that gave me very little trouble and I was so used to it. More 'New Things Anxiety' to deal with.

But a shiny new laptop Sardi! 😁😁😁

• Advertisement

I am doing, Leg. Replacement picked out and IT guy going to set it all up for me at mate's rates. Still, miss my old Lenovo.

R.I.P Silver Lenonvo, I'll tell Blue Lenovo all about you and what it has to live up to

A salute to all our computers past. I still miss my old Acer netbook sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Do you need a bridesmaid??

I can look respectable if I put my mind to it 😊

To thine own self be true

Leggie, I'm on an Android phone on the touch site.

The tiny usernames are so frustrating.

Why have some of the avatars changed and others haven't?

• Advertisement

I changed mine myself. I think anyone without an avatar was randomly assigned one during the move.

Sitting out back in the 24° sun,

Pearl Jam on the headphones, and a beer...what more could a man want!

If I listened to music outside with headphones I'd forget myself and start "singing". I'd say the neighbours think I'm half cracked without that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Chilling on the sofa, fan on, iPad propped up on my chest.

Complete scorcher of a day today. 😎😎☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥

My OH couldn’t handle the heat earlier and took to bed to cool off. Went up to my gym for a good swim - but by the time I got up there, walking for 10 mins in that heat, I was so tired I only managed 16 laps.

Going to fix a chicken salad for dinner later and just chill for the evening. I’d heard of the dreadful floods in Germany but didn’t realise the extent of them. Another example of the consequences of global warming in action, sadly...

Have a great weekend Wherers! 👍👍🌈😎☀️☀️

Sitting in Grumpy's wheelchair in the breezy, shady back garden trying to cool down.

Delighted it's going to be one of those nights you can peg your washing out overnight and it will be dried and aired in the morning.

#excitinglife

Ooooh hello strangers. Hope y'all well.

Shiny new car smell still strong in here, reminds me a bit of driving a new stick shift after auto or lhd after rhd and bashing your hand off the door every time 😀 And the weird Avatar I now am is not cutting it, I look like a weird floating glow in the dark disembodied ghost 😱

Grem - congratulations. I do like a nice day out. Glam or caz, I'm good either way :pac:

Fab weather in Dubland, so much lazing around in my immediate future...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Work trundle of course because nothing changes there!

• Advertisement

I do forget to thank because of the yucky new like button. Grem I think my Congrats post disappeared.

Congratulations 😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Night owl gal

Couchside

Ah, lads, the heat is killing me today☹️

I brought a new fan today (one that stands, quite expensive). I went down to Argos with my shopping box (hoping that the fan box would fit into it). However that wasn't the case. Would barely go into it. I sort of got it in at an angle like this

Was a difficult walk home, as the fan box was heavy, i normally drag it (the shopping box) behind me but I couldn't do that so had to push it in front of me, which makes the shopping box not go in a straight line. So I was wobbling and swerving all over the place. I got a few odd looks from people and one or two people asked if I was ok. But eventually I got home with it although out of breath and very sweaty. Now to buy a screwdriver and batteries for the remote control...

This is what I see, Leggie. I find the text too small 😔

Someone's inbox is full 🙄 not looking at anyone in particular lol....leggy :pac: :D lol

Anyway I'm going to watch old episodes of E4's 2003/4 series The Salon on YouTube lol ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭3d4life

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sitting outside on the decking of my OH's family home, getting prepped for sale.

Very balmy out and an amazing evening sky easier. Having a ciggie and a dog barking in the distance. Smell of freshly mown grass. Suburbia...

I thought there was an infinite number of messages allowed in inboxes now 🤔

Nah I was just being playful Purple Mountain. I actually don't know anyone who posts on this thread but read it a few times...

I really have been watching e4s The Salon on YouTube though to help me get to sleep lol. Genuinely used to love that show ☺️☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Someone called me 😇😇

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

It’s not currently visible as an option in your profile on desktop site, but someone posted a direct link in Feedback and it worked for me.

My bedroom is hot, for all the wrong reasons, I'm genuinely melting here lads, not even a little breeze with the windows open.

Binged telly for the last few hours, 5 episodes of Temptation Island and the tonights Love Island, massive takeaway and some wine, I'm stuffed.

Still can't navigate my way around here, I don't know how I even find this thread, I just keep pressing everything, can't see myself getting used to it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I am with you Duvet... This is the only thread that keeps popping up with those annoying notifications. No other thread I've posted in lately displays any notifying responses, so then I must go physically hunt down the threads (which they haven't made easy)... No seeming way to change which thread receives notifications and which doesn't either.

Ladies, I think a lot of us are on the same boat 😏

Can't sleep. Have a weird head thing. Meh. Grumble. Moan.

Like a worzel gummidge type weird head?. 🤣

• Advertisement

@poochie05, Thanks for the avatar link.

On the top of the page is. Bell icon, once you click on it a new pop-up appears, on the top of that is a settings icon, open that and the 2nd last item in the list is to notify you when someone posts in a thread you are following. This might help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's a gorgeous morning already, another scorcher on the way . Lots of water today folks 😊 Oh , I used to have two doves who'd come to the yard to be fed , now I have four ! Two younger doves with them now ☺

Lads, I'm on the touch site now (thanks Leggy) bit better layout but everything is tiny, how do I increase the size ? No funny answers now.😛

You can't unfortunately, it seems the build isn't made for mobile devices....

There isn't an actual touch site persay ....it's just "mobile friendly".... hopefully the upcoming tweaks give us an actual mobile usable site,

In other news...20° outside already..ohh yeah... time to break out the shorts and my Caspar looking legs 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement