Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a place to get new car tyres

• 31-03-2021 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get two new back tyres for a car, can anyone recommend a place where I'll get a decent pair of tyres for reasonable money?

Recommendations on brand of tyre and price welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ballysimon Tyres are very good , they'll talk you through prices and brands etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

My usual recommendation for this question https://www.victorytyres.ie/ Paul won't mess you about.

As for brands it will really depend on your budget but if you can at all don't go for the a budget brand tyre. For the sake saving of a couple of quid they could really let you down during evasive maneuver. This site https://www.tyrereviews.com/ is actually good to steer (pun intended) you in the right direction on what's good and what's not.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

h3000 wrote: »
    My usual recommendation for this question https://www.victorytyres.ie/ Paul won't mess you about.

As for brands it will really depend on your budget but if you can at all don't go for the a budget brand tyre. For the sake saving of a couple of quid they could really let you down during evasive maneuver. This site https://www.tyrereviews.com/ is actually good to steer (pun intended) you in the right direction on what's good and what's not.

Thanks for that - Any particular brand recommended - any garage I have rang quote debici, hankook etc.

Thanks

Thanks for that - Any particular brand recommended - any garage I have rang quote debici, hankook etc.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with debici (debica?) tyres but Hankook are a reasonably decent tyre again it can depend on the model of tyre within the brand too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hankook are a good mid range reasonably priced brand. Got them many times for my father's car. If you want premium brands then look at the likes of Goodyear or Michelin. What you want to do is avoid the cheap Chinese type crap that alot of tyre centres sell to people who just want the cheapest tyres possible. These cheap never heard of brands tend to be terrible especially in the wet when you need them the most. Never skimp on tyres or brakes, they are the only things that keep you between the ditches.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hankook are a good mid range reasonably priced brand. Got them many times for my father's car. If you want premium brands then look at the likes of Goodyear or Michelin. What you want to do is avoid the cheap Chinese type crap that alot of tyre centres sell to people who just want the cheapest tyres possible. These cheap never heard of brands tend to be terrible especially in the wet when you need them the most. Never skimp on tyres or brakes, they are the only things that keep you between the ditches.

I'd be thinking the same, just don't want to be paying top dollar for poor tyres.

Nearly sure I replaced a tyre with a new one 2 years ago from somewhere in Limerick but recent NCT flagged it as >6 years old and never heard of the brand so not too impressed. Think it was €80.

Hence trying to do some research and appreciate the comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plenty of margin in the cheap tyres for tyre centres so they tend to try pushing them more.

If you know your exact tyre size then best ring around the different tyre centres and price the exact brand in that size to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Victory Tyres too in Leila St. . Paul very nice fellow

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

I'd second Ballysimon Tyres, have used them for years, no problems,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’ve used Mid West tyres in Parkway for the last few years.
    Victory tyres are good too.

Any of the Mid West tyre places are highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What size tyre are you looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Ryan's Tyres Patrickswell is a very helpful crowd aswell as Mid west tyres in Raheen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Modern Tyres Tipperary Rd.
    Kuhmo is an excellent mid price brand.
    Ballysimon Tyres has a very limited range of brands to choose from so I would avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Brendan Walsh Tyres gets my vote.
    I’ve been dealing with Brendan for over 20 years, he managed Mid West Tyres before he went out on his own 7 or 8 years ago.
    Top class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

h3000 wrote: »

+1 for Paul.

Can't go wrong with him.

Cheers all for all the feedback - went with Brendan Walsh in the end as he is nearby and he was a gent. Tyres seemed fairly priced based on what he quoted me and checking the brand online.

Happy customer

Cheers all for all the feedback - went with Brendan Walsh in the end as he is nearby and he was a gent. Tyres seemed fairly priced based on what he quoted me and checking the brand online.

Happy customer

What tyres did you go for?

Uniroyal Rain Expert 3

• Advertisement

Uniroyal Rain Expert 3

Well done. They are a good tyre particularly in our crappy weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Uniroyal Rain Expert 3

A great tyre i got them for wifey a few years back and the only tyre that came close was a Falken ZIEX but it didn't have the same mileage as the Uniroyal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm a bit late, but for future reference I've used Ger Pickford and he was spot on. Sold me a set of Toyo Proxes P1's for about €90 a corner, very impressed as most other places at the time were looking for north of €120 a corner for the same tyres (they're cheaper in general now, but at the time it was an excellent saving). Ger is a lovely chap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

phog wrote: »
    +1 for Paul.

Can't go wrong with him.

I was a customer of victory tyres for decades going back to his parents time.

A few years ago one of his workers fooked up the mechanism on my car while tracking it. Called over sweet talking Paul and they had a confab. Comes over to me and tells me there is a serious issue.

I goes over and can see that the damage is fresh, rest of the car is covered in mud from the country roads.

He hadn't the balls to admit they made a fook up.

I wonder how many people who wouldn't be mechanical savvy has sweet talking Paul fobbed off.

3 cars and a jeep in the family here and he had them all.

Needless to say not one of them had darkened his door since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I use Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric. Next time try it. Happy to recommend this tyre.
    Uniroyal Rain Expert 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

orm0nd wrote: »
    I was a customer of victory tyres for decades going back to his parents time.

A few years ago one of his workers fooked up the mechanism on my car while tracking it. Called over sweet talking Paul and they had a confab. Comes over to me and tells me there is a serious issue.

I goes over and can see that the damage is fresh, rest of the car is covered in mud from the country roads.

He hadn't the balls to admit they made a fook up.

I wonder how many people who wouldn't be mechanical savvy has sweet talking Paul fobbed off.

3 cars and a jeep in the family here and he had them all.

Needless to say not one of them had darkened his door since.
    What mechanism?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Brendan Walsh up in Roxboro gets my business all the time. A pleasure to deal with, always a good job done by his lads, and fairly priced. Usually get the Uniroyal Rain Sports off him, great for our weather.

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    What mechanism?

For a fella who’s “mechanical savvy” I’d expect him to have described the “mechanism” correctly.

If the tracking was off, damage to a rod or end might have been expected also, or a steering rack, linkage, control arm or whatever.

And in decades of custom, with 4 cars in the family and all that, it’s more likely IMO that Paul (leaving out the “sweet talking” nonsense) would have been telling it like it was to the “mechanical savvy” poster.

Sometimes a customer is just plain wrong in blaming a fitter or mechanic for something they had nothing to do with causing. So I’d be more inclined to take those decades of service to that poster and his family as the measure of Victory and Paul’s service than that time a guy thought they’d damaged his car, when it also happened to need tracking.

Advertisement