Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband - best options

Options
  • 31-03-2021 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I want to set up mobile broadband. I cannot get broadband due to eircode issues.. I'm in a granny flat with no separate eircode.

I want no contract as I'll only be here for a limited time.

Three do a mobile broadband sim only deal for unlimited data €29.99 per 28 days.

If I get a sim only deal with Three, for a phone sim, I can get it for €20 per 28 days.

My thoughts were to just get a sim only deal and use an old phone as a hotspot.

The 4g in the flat is poor, but with my phone against he window the speed is a bit better. An old phone as a hotspot solves this issue and also solves the issue of running out of data when just using my own phone's data.

Is there any advantage to getting a modem? Can I use Three's Mobile Broadband SIM for €29.99 per 28 days in an old phone? Is there any reason to do this, when I can pay €20.

Will I get better/faster 4G using a modem than using a phone? I presume the amount of devices is more limited using a phone as a hotspot? Any other disadvantages.

The mobile broadband would only be used as a stop gap, hopefully only for three or four months.

Many thanks for any help.

I had a search through the forum but hoping to get the most current info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A modem will give slightly better signal reception compared to a phone but not enough to justify the extra cost for temporary use.

Three's 20e PAYG SIM in a phone will work fine and it has unlimited data whereas the higher priced broadband plan only has 750GB so it costs more for less data....it's just a marketing tactic to sell more subs.

The only thing to watch is that hotspot mode on a phone uses battery faster than normal use so it may need to be left plugged in to a charger (use a low output charger).

For clarity, SIM only is different to PAYG, it's the PAYG phone SIM you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 choosetheend

Thanks a lot for your help.

Advertisement