Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A2w and room stats.

Options
  • 31-03-2021 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

I have a question regarding a2w. I am living in a brand new house and upstairs there are 4 bedrooms. The temperatures of these bedrooms can vary. To the west side of the house there are two rooms. One facing south with two small windows and the other facing west with one big window. If I set the a2w controller from uniy at 17.5 degrees , these 2 rooms would normally be at 19.0 to 19.5 degrees which is fine.

On the east side of house are the 2 other bedrooms. One is facing south with 2 small windows and the other is facing north with a big window. If I set the a2w controller at 17.5 degrees as above , the front room here will hit 18.5 degrees on room stat and the back room will be at 18.0 or 17.5 degrees. It feels that bit cooler when going into these rooms.

Basically one side of the house is alot warmer than the other with the temperature control set from a2w at 17.5 degrees. I can't understand why?

I used dehumidifier in the two cooler rooms and there was water in container which I was surprised at. Would the rooms be dried out properly to fell this chill and could it affect room stat temperature readings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

It's the sun!

The sun coming through the southside windows heats those bedrooms up a little bit more. Enjoy the free heat.

Control with blinds/curtains, I guess.

Edit: Also check what the room stats are calling for - are they all calling for the same temperature? Bearing in mind that the display does 2 things:

1 - set the target temperature
    2 - display the actual measured temperature.

1 and 2 are not always the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Are starts required in each room? Or should there be one stay to control all bedrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Are starts required in each room? Or should there be one stay to control all bedrooms?

There are stats in all bedrooms. But there is a main controller for upstairs to set temperature at whatever you require for all rooms. Mitsubishi ecodan setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: are you certain the orientation is right?
    the window selection you describe would weigh negatively on the BER
    2: how are the rooms heated?
    3: where are the stats located the rooms.
    4: whats the dead band in the stats?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

1: are you certain the orientation is right?
    the window selection you describe would weigh negatively on the BER
    2: how are the rooms heated?
    3: where are the stats located the rooms.
    4: whats the dead band in the stats?

100% orientation is correct.

One of the south facing rooms is cooler than one of the rooms on the west of the house which I can't understand why.

Rooms are heated with underground heating.
    Stats are located next to lightswitch inside room out of sight from windows.

• Advertisement

Amprodude wrote: »

One of the south facing rooms is cooler than one of the rooms on the west of the house which I can't understand why.

I also put a dehumidifier in there today from 3pm until 9pm and collected 320mls of water. House plastered about 8 month ago Temperature of this room increased today after doing this. Not sure if there is any relevance to anything by doing this but I wasn't expecting to have that much moisture in the air for an airtight house. I am open to correction on that.

Could be the big window, when I get the chance I will fool around with the window orientation for an existing ber house report.
    Is the door of room open, draughts will impact the stat

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,251 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I also put a dehumidifier in there today from 3pm until 9pm and collected 320mls of water. House plastered about 8 month ago Temperature of this room increased today after doing this. Not sure if there is any relevance to anything by doing this but I wasn't expecting to have that much moisture in the air for an airtight house. I am open to correction on that.

Well ventilated houses with no damp issues will still have enough humidity for a dehumidifer to pull plenty of water out of the air. I would pay more heed to the relative humidity itself rather than what a dehumidifer is doing. Do your thermostats tell you the RH too?

Could be the big window, when I get the chance I will fool around with the window orientation for an existing ber house report.
    Is the door of room open, draughts will impact the stat

Door is always closed in that room.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well ventilated houses with no damp issues will still have enough humidity for a dehumidifer to pull plenty of water out of the air. I would pay more heed to the relative humidity itself rather than what a dehumidifer is doing. Do your thermostats tell you the RH too?

Good to know that. I just noticed that the room went up 1.5 degrees since yesterday. Its now the same reading as the warmer rooms of the house. Is using the dehumidifer serving any purpose here do you think? I pulled out 800mls of water from the room in total and feels warmer now than ever before. Still early days.

Thermostats are basic enough. They have the calling heat feature, that's about it really. No RH feature, very basic.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,251 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The dehumidifier is heating the room a little probably. The air going in is generally cooler than what comes out of them. You'd be better off adjusting the thermostats until it feels right and forgetting about the dehumidifier imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,545 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

UFH or rads?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    UFH or rads?

UFH

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

There are stats in all bedrooms. But there is a main controller for upstairs to set temperature at whatever you require for all rooms. Mitsubishi ecodan setup.

Does the mitsubishi ecodan system allow you to alter the temperature in each room or just display the temperature in each room?

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Does the mitsubishi ecodan system allow you to alter the temperature in each room or just display the temperature in each room?

Well the ecodan sets the temperature for both upstairs and downstairs zones. For upstairs if I set the ecodan controller to 17.5.

Bedroom 1 (south facing)stat would normally display 20.5 at nighttime no solar gain.

Bedroom 2 (west facing) @ 20.5 at nighttime no solar gain.

Bedroom 3 (southfacing) @ 19.0 at nighttime no solar gain
    Bedroom 4 (north facing) @ 18.0 at nighttime no solar gain.

I don't understand why there be a 1.5 degrees of a difference between bedroom 1 and bedroom 3. Both similar rooms and facing same direction.

Bedroom 1 and 2 are always nearly the same temperature. Bedroom 3 and 4 no.

could be restricted flow in some of the circuits
    maybe not as many pipe length/sqm in each room
    may be within the error range of the stats, which are mass produced.

could be restricted flow in some of the circuits
    maybe not as many pipe length/sqm in each room
    may be within the error range of the stats, which are mass produced.

Could it be an airtightness leak?

Advertisement