Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyers solicitors ignoring us

Options
  • 31-03-2021 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Sale agreed since early November, and still not closed. Buyers solicitor ignores our solicitor, we have to keep going through estate agent, I am fed up at this point, everything is done, house is empty, and buyer has been sending her post there! Is there anything else we can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RANIA wrote: »
    Sale agreed since early November, and still not closed. Buyers solicitor ignores our solicitor, we have to keep going through estate agent, I am fed up at this point, everything is done, house is empty, and buyer has been sending her post there! Is there anything else we can do?

Stick it back on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

By "everything is done" I assume you mean contracts signed and returned.

You can get your solicitor to send a "demand for closing" (that's not the technical term) , effectively a date by which they have to close or start paying interest of so much per day, the solicitors only really do it in extreme situations.

You may have more luck chasing them up yourself via the estate agent, in an ideal world you wouldn't have to, but sometimes they'll be better able to tell you what's really going on.

On the other hand if contracts haven't been signed and aren't looking likely to, of course you can put it back on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

Threaten to put it back on the market, depending location it'll probably sell pretty quickly and for more that you got in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

You'd have to wonder if that is an excuse your own solicitor is giving and they're the one dragging their heels not the buyers solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

pleh wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder if that is an excuse your own solicitor is giving and they're the one dragging their heels not the buyers solicitor

Wouldn’t the buyer be kicking up a fuss with the EA then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Are they in a chain? You went Sale Agreed in November - when did your solicitor send Contracts? When did they sign the Contracts? Are all queries resolved? Are they waiting on a loan offer?

If they have not signed Contracts, or paid the deposit - you can pull the sale and put the property back on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are they in a chain? You went Sale Agreed in November - when did your solicitor send Contracts? When did they sign the Contracts? Are all queries resolved? Are they waiting on a loan offer?

If they have not signed Contracts, or paid the deposit - you can pull the sale and put the property back on the market

Deposit is fully refundable until contracts are signed, it being paid does not commit the op to the sale. Sale contracts have a closing date, if it has passed, then the op solicitor can inform the buyer that if they don’t honour the contract within a certain timeframe, the op can withdraw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Call the buyer and explain to them that if they dont instruct their solicitor to communicate with your solicitor directly you will pull the plug

Dav010 wrote: »
    Deposit is fully refundable until contracts are signed, it being paid does not commit the op to the sale. Sale contracts have a closing date, if it has passed, then the op solicitor can inform the buyer that if they don’t honour the contract within a certain timeframe, the op can withdraw.

Yes thats what I am saying.

However often people count the time from when the property goes "Sale Agreed". But sometimes the Title Documents are not taken up from the bank at that stage, and it can take some time for the contracts to be issued and ready.

Either way though, the solicitor should be in correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cheek of them sending the post there gave me a chuckle I have to admit.

When a solicitor goes silent like that, something is going on in the background you're not aware of. As others have said it may be time to think about putting it back on the market.

• Advertisement

Cheek of them sending the post there gave me a chuckle I have to admit.

When a solicitor goes silent like that, something is going on in the background you're not aware of. As others have said it may be time to think about putting it back on the market.

How much post was sent there though, if the post was for home insurance quotes you could see how that could happen unintentionally.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t the buyer be kicking up a fuss with the EA then?
    If the buyers solicitor was blaming the sellers solicitor, saying something like 'oh we haven't heard back from them, we will get in contact and remind them again'. And once the booking deposit is paid the ea isnt involved usually, or dont want to be involved, unless you require a final viewing before contract signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

May guess is that their solicitor asked for something which your's hasn't provided and his hoping they'll give up on. Ask you solicitor is there anything they are waiting for from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

This - my guess (& it is pure speculation) is the buyer is having trouble getting the mortgage over the line and the solicitor is stalling while they try to sort it out.

This - my guess (& it is pure speculation) is the buyer is having trouble getting the mortgage over the line and the solicitor is stalling while they try to sort it out.

Or they are selling their own property and they're not looking at the purchase at all until they know where they are with the sale.

Advertisement