Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gable end painting - advice needed

• 31-03-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I am going to paint the gable end of my house. I think in the past it was just painted over rather than ever being properly cleaned.
    I was planning to power wash it first but do you think it needs a more thorough cleaning with bleach and deck brush?

I was hoping to wash it tomorrow and paint it Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I am going to paint the gable end of my house. I think in the past it was just painted over rather than ever being properly cleaned. I was planning to power wash it first but do you think it needs a more thorough cleaning with bleach and deck brush?

Power washing would be grand if the paint is flakey use a paint stabaliser before painting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I am going to paint the gable end of my house. I think in the past it was just painted over rather than ever being properly cleaned. I was planning to power wash it first but do you think it needs a more thorough cleaning with bleach and deck brush?

Power washing would be grand if the paint is flakey use a paint stabaliser before painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks for that.
    Will check out how it is bonding to the wall tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Dosnt look too bad in the pic, is it flaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭irishguy19772

No. Just thought it looked discoloured. Figured you couldnt paint over something that looked dirty as it would come through the new paint again. It's not flaky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

No. Just thought it looked discoloured. Figured you couldnt paint over something that looked dirty as it would come through the new paint again. It's not flaky.

From the picture, wall looks in good shape, just a good power washing to get any dirt off. Make sure to clean facia and soffit aswell as it will take the good look from the freshly painted wall, cleaning by hand with a sponge is as good as anything for facia and soffit. If using a roller to paint, get a long/rough pile sleeve, makes rolling exterior plaster a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Skip the power washing ; surface looks fine. I swear by stabilising primer. Lash it on with a roller and apply your top cost a few hrs later. It’s genuinely great stuff. I use fleetwood and love it. Assume you’re using extension ladder. It’s higher than you think at the apex;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

I am going to paint the gable end of my house. I think in the past it was just painted over rather than ever being properly cleaned.
    I was planning to power wash it first but do you think it needs a more thorough cleaning with bleach and deck brush?

I was hoping to wash it tomorrow and paint it Saturday.

Power wash the gables and the paths in the one go. Might aswell do it right for the sake of a few extra hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

Definitely give it a clean, but you might find a scrub with a brush and good soapy water. I did a mix of bleach and sugar soap for my house. I used a long handled brush to get more coverage.
    Adhesion and longevity will improve with a cleaner wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Power wash the gables and the paths in the one go. Might aswell do it right for the sake of a few extra hours work.
    mr_cochise wrote: »
    Definitely give it a clean, but you might find a scrub with a brush and good soapy water. I did a mix of bleach and sugar soap for my house. I used a long handled brush to get more coverage.
    Adhesion and longevity will improve with a cleaner wall.

I'm ll for prep but power-washing that gable wall in the pic would be a waste of time. Spend that time cleaning the fascia & soffit :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement