Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky HD box (missing lots channels)

• 31-03-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello all :)
    I had to replace TV and the new TV only has hdmi and no scart so old sky box I was using just for free channels (no card, no subscription) which only had scart connection was no good, I got a sky HD box yesterday and alot of the free channels I had with the older box will not come in, some channels are actually missing completely like itv, itvb and some others, channels like channel 4, e4 and others are saying no signal but I got all these channels originally on older standard sky box so I'm completely baffled :( I done a software update on the HD box but still missing all these channels :( can someone pleaseeeee help or advise, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

You have to scan them back in other channels, save with yellow button and then power off back at wall and power back on. To get them on normal epg you will need a UK free card.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 buffy1976

swoofer wrote: »
    You have to scan them back in other channels, save with yellow button and then power off back at wall and power back on. To get them on normal epg you will need a UK free card.

Thanks for the reply, I tried a few things yesterday, not sure if tried this with scan... So when I go into other channels should there be a list or is there a scan option? What does epg stand for? If I scan and they appear do I save them individually or will yellow button put them back on my TV guide? sorry I'm totally not up with tech ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

buffy1976 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I tried a few things yesterday, not sure if tried this with scan... So when I go into other channels should there be a list or is there a scan option? What does epg stand for? If I scan and they appear do I save them individually or will yellow button put them back on my TV guide? sorry I'm totally not up with tech ha

To tune in channels you need to know the various frequencies for each channel, tune in and store each. Best to see if you can get a UK Sky card, even a loan of one, the box can be reset to UK list in a couple of minutes with a UK card. EPG is programme guide, with Sky, Freesat and others you get a 7 day guide, with free to air you get now and next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

decor58 wrote: »
    To tune in channels you need to know the various frequencies for each channel, tune in and store each. Best to see if you can get a UK Sky card, even a loan of one, the box can be reset to UK list in a couple of minutes with a UK card. EPG is programme guide, with Sky, Freesat and others you get a 7 day guide, with free to air you get now and next.

Lots of us using FTA have 7 day EPG as can be noticed from the various threads on here.

Hi,
    I went into other channnels but it is blank,does not give option to scan channels :( tried without card i had in other older box and without :( this is only happening on the newer sky hd box,i get all free channels on older box ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Hi,
    I went into other channnels but it is blank,does not give option to scan channels :( tried without card i had in other older box and without :( this is only happening on the newer sky hd box,i get all free channels on older box ?

Google how to add FTA channels to sky + box and there will literally be a step by step guide. Something along the lines of below:

Go to your TV Guide using your remote
    Press UP to go to the top menu
    Scroll to “Options”
    Press down to go to the secondary menu
    Scroll to the right and select “Add Channels”

You will get a blue screen with frequency etc. on it. Adjust the info in each option to align with the channel frequency details like the ones below:

Channel Freq. Pol. S/R FEC
    Film4 10714.25 H 22000 5/6
    More 4 +1 10714.25 H 22000 5/6
    c4 l 10714.25 H 22000 5/6
    E4 +1 10936 V 22000 5/6
    More 4 10936 V 22000 5/6
    ITV 1 London 10758 V 22000 5/6
    ITV 2 10758 V 22000 5/6
    ITV 4 10758 V 22000 5/6
    ITV 4 +1 10758 V 22000 5/6
    ITV Be 10758 V 22000 5/6
    BBC One London 10773 H 22000 5/6
    BBC Two England 10773 H 22000 5/6
    BBC Four 10773 H 22000 5/6
    CBeebies 10773 H 22000 5/6

A quick google of the frequencies will give you the full up to date listings.

Then just Save i think

Hi,i thought i was onto a winner there ha i added all channels manually and they came up i clicked yellow to tick them and saved and it said they were added ,i powered off even and back again but channels were still missing,some that were there like e4 still say no signal :( i repeated with the card in and same result,so annoying :( :mad::mad::mad: any other suggestions ?

Hi,i thought i was onto a winner there ha i added all channels manually and they came up i clicked yellow to tick them and saved and it said they were added ,i powered off even and back again but channels were still missing,some that were there like e4 still say no signal :( i repeated with the card in and same result,so annoying :( :mad::mad::mad: any other suggestions ?

Are they in the other channels section?

Are they in the other channels section?

Nope just blank in other channels even after saved, actually when go into other channels it asks insert card.. Maybe the box is faulty, its very confusing haha

What card are you using?

• Advertisement

What card are you using?[/quote

I just had one in it that was in older sky box but I tried without the card too, my friend has same box with no card and gets all free channels but some forums say need the card and others say you don't lol either way nothing happening

OK I meant was it a UK card or an Irish One. If you buy a box on ebay form UK it will default to the UK epg when you take card out. If you buy an irish box it will default to the Irish EPG ie Rte one etc. This was a ploy by sky to keep customers. To get the other channels on irish box its quite likely you need a valid irish card.

So in your case you need a UK card and that will switch the epg to the UK one. These cards used to be ten a penny years ago ie about 5 euro. It was handy back then as it opened a few channels that were locked like sony movies and a few others. It only opens about 3 channels now so people are not bothered. They buy the box from ebay and it works.

How much did you pay for the box and are you desperate to get the free channels?

Most people now by an enigma 2 box like tiviar, zgemma and for a one off price they get all the free channels and soarview and can record etc.

Hope that explains it.

OK I meant was it a UK card or an Irish One. If you buy a box on ebay form UK it will default to the UK epg when you take card out. If you buy an irish box it will default to the Irish EPG ie Rte one etc. This was a ploy by sky to keep customers. To get the other channels on irish box its quite likely you need a valid irish card.

So in your case you need a UK card and that will switch the epg to the UK one. These cards used to be ten a penny years ago ie about 5 euro. It was handy back then as it opened a few channels that were locked like sony movies and a few others. It only opens about 3 channels now so people are not bothered. They buy the box from ebay and it works.

How much did you pay for the box and are you desperate to get the free channels?

Most people now by an enigma 2 box like tiviar, zgemma and for a one off price they get all the free channels and soarview and can record etc.

Hope that explains it.

.. That actually makes alot of sense thank you :) I got box free from someone who upgraded to sky q... Then possibly the older box I have that picks up all channels and they were on guide had UK card in it originally... To be honest I think this newer box has issues, after I tried to add channels and store them and it wasn't successful I done software update to see if helped but now I'm getting nothing at all, says no signal 😂😂😂 time on it won't update either so box seems to be faulty, would you think? Can't see how after decades if satellite working it just stopped receiving signal ha I will bring old TV with scart connection and plug in the older sky box and if all channels come up as they were I will buy or source another HD box and buy UK card, I'll update tomorrow to say if got the channels back on older TV with older box lol :) thanks for your time, your last post makes alot of sense.

Dont give up on that box yet. Did you check with friend that it was OK when they had it? Moving to Q might be a clue!! Can you turn box over and read off the model number from the bottom. Its a white label and may say SKY DRX etc. Can check age that way.

When you updated software did you get a message onscreen in bold black and white, do not turn off etc?

These boxes can take an age to boot up and then you have to go through a sequence. They start on the intro screen channel 998. I then go services, settings, signal, and that tells you if box is getting a signal on both feeds. Then check 501 sky news. then 141 bbc. Box is good.

You then put in UK card chip down and wait. Takes about 2 mins. You can then take out card and uk epg is retained but best left in.

I just did this on an old sky hd box DRX 890-R with software R023.091.33.OOP shown as model number. And a very old uk card.

Dont give up on that box yet. Did you check with friend that it was OK when they had it? Moving to Q might be a clue!! Can you turn box over and read off the model number from the bottom. Its a white label and may say SKY DRX etc. Can check age that way.

When you updated software did you get a message onscreen in bold black and white, do not turn off etc?

These boxes can take an age to boot up and then you have to go through a sequence. They start on the intro screen channel 998. I then go services, settings, signal, and that tells you if box is getting a signal on both feeds. Then check 501 sky news. then 141 bbc. Box is good.

You then put in UK card chip down and wait. Takes about 2 mins. You can then take out card and uk epg is retained but best left in.

I just did this on an old sky hd box DRX 890-R with software R023.091.33.OOP shown as model number. And a very old uk card.

Hi :) yes i got black and white message,all lights on box went still but not updating at all now,says no signal ha the box must be faulty,i connected up older tv with older sky box with scart earlier just make sure wasnt my dish and all channels came in no problem on it so i will get another box and a uk card this time :) as you say once box had uk card in it the channels seem always be on it with or without the card,fingers crossed on new box i get ha

You never gave model no!!! Get it from UK but this is where we lose out with brexit, you delivery and import costs. With uk box you wont need card.

Look on ebay. watch charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭sham58107

you can get a Scart to HDMI converter on amazon , sorry cant link about 10 quid save you all the hassle use your old box, think they even convert to HD

You never gave model no!!! Get it from UK but this is where we lose out with brexit, you delivery and import costs. With uk box you wont need card.

Look on ebay. watch charges

Sorry im not home at moment lol,so wait till i double check this,if i get a box (that is irish as people are giving them away here these days) and then use a uk card i should get all channels right?if uk cards inserted they side as normal? thanks in advance haha

sham58107 wrote: »
    you can get a Scart to HDMI converter on amazon , sorry cant link about 10 quid save you all the hassle use your old box, think they even convert to HD

Hello :) yes that was my original plan but seen a few people say they dont work great,i just thought be easier to get box haha how wrong i was so far lol actually i seen them on amazon for 12 euro,would you believe powercity charge near 40 euro for convertors! then there is chancers who are selling the ones that can buy on wish for 4 euro for 20 ha

Maybe it's worth looking into a fire tv stick and just downloading free view onto it?

Future proof viewing although no record

• Advertisement

Hello everyone,just a thank you for all advice :) i got sky hd box today and uk viewing card,works perfect :) think uk viewing card is fixer here in ireland.I'm delighted to be back in the land of some tv channels haha Happy Easter all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

Hello everyone,just a thank you for all advice :) i got sky hd box today and uk viewing card,works perfect :) think uk viewing card is fixer here in ireland.I'm delighted to be back in the land of some tv channels haha Happy Easter all.

If you put the UK card in the box, connect the box to the Internet, (you can use a LAN cable), and do a new installation, the box will default to UK settings, (card is not needed any more). The box will default to the region the card was issued in.

Advertisement