Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising a garden wall by 2 blocks

Options
  • 31-03-2021 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Neighbour and I have a garden(boundary?) wall between us that we are looking to raise by two blocks for privacy.

Currently, it's 7 blocks high (possibly 8 but the from that would be beneath the soil surface) standing at about 1.5m . It's made of single leaf 100mm blocks with piers every 3-4 metres or so.

Are there any concerns with adding two additional rows of blocks, including adding to piers?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Naos wrote: »
    Hello all,

Neighbour and I have a garden(boundary?) wall between us that we are looking to raise by two blocks for privacy.

Currently, it's 7 blocks high (possibly 8 but the from that would be beneath the soil surface) standing at about 1.5m . It's made of single leaf 100mm blocks with piers every 3-4 metres or so.

Are there any concerns with adding two additional rows of blocks, including adding to piers?

Thanks

From a Planning point of view, stay below 2m.
    From a support point of view, maintain the joints and extend the piers also.

I added 3 blocks of the same build up as yours, and then added a flat fibreglass roof and all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

You sure it's 100mm block ? You certainly wouldn't build a circa 2m high block wall in 100mm from the start, would nearly always 215mm hollow. I appreciate that's not the space you are in but I wouldn't be keen. I've added on to our own boundary walls but there are 215mm wide. Maybe lots of piers will help, not sure if 4m ctrs enough ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You sure it's 100mm block ? You certainly wouldn't build a circa 2m high block wall in 100mm from the start, would nearly always 215mm hollow. I appreciate that's not the space you are in but I wouldn't be keen. I've added on to our own boundary walls but there are 215mm wide. Maybe lots of piers will help, not sure if 4m ctrs enough ?

Nearly every boundary wall built from block here in Dublin was 100mm on the edge with piers every 4m.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Gumbo wrote: »
    Nearly every boundary wall built from block here in Dublin was 100mm on the edge with piers every 4m.

Fair enough but you won't get an engineer now to say it's ok at 2m high. 1.5m maybe but I'd say that's pushing it.

Advertisement