Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning rural pubs into working hubs

• 31-03-2021 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

BBC reporting on an initiative to turn Irish rural pubs into working hubs. Who comes up with this crap? Sounds like something the Healy Raes sprouted.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-56575266

British having a right laugh with this one...

If we are planning rural working hubs they need to be done right with proper facilities, meeting rooms, video conferencing etc. Not a half baked effort dreamed up by some gombeen TD!

Comments

Humphreys is not someone with the expertise or background to be suggesting such. Oh course they'll promise grants and what not but to spend on what? Super fast connections that will take years to arrive if ever?

Pub's internet connection will take years to be of a speed to support even 10 people working there with modern demands and add in security and privacy needs. So what everyone sits at the bar of the local pub and work away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Feck sake nothing is sacred

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

AmberGold wrote: »
    BBC reporting on an initiative to turn rural pubs into working hubs. Who comes up with this crap? Sounds like something the Healy Raes sprouted.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-56575266

British having a right laugh with this one...

If we are planning rural working hubs they need to be done right with proper facilities, meeting rooms, video conferencing etc. Not a half baked effort dreamed up by some gombeen TD!
    It's nonsense

Who'll pay for the upkeep of hubs too? If users perhaps they won't use them and if it the company what would be the point in paying for two workspaces

All this talk on public sector employees too but the data protection issues would be crazy with shared workspaces with the type of data and phone calls that happen with members of public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sounds like something that comes 10 years too late. Like the broadband project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Keep a part of the pub open, and you can drink at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Such shoite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do you have a remote working hub during the day and a pub at night? Both require completely different layouts which are incompatible, what does she propose that they do with the office desks/chairs when the pub is open and if they don't have proper office equipment then very few people will be able to work there.

I work for a large multinational and can work from home full time. I would never use a remote hub, for two reasons:
    • Work from home means work from home, not a hub. If I have am to leave my house, I may as well go to the office.
    • Security. I deal with a lot of sensitive commercial information. Working in a hub compromises security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just get on with rural broadband and forget this shyte.

Rural pubs were dying on their feet anyway pre Covid. It's cute to have a local pub, but times change.

Are they getting worried now that the lockdowns won’t kill enough pubs?

• Advertisement

Typical populist tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Del2005 wrote: »
    How do you have a remote working hub during the day and a pub at night? Both require completely different layouts which are incompatible, what does she propose that they do with the office desks/chairs when the pub is open and if they don't have proper office equipment then very few people will be able to work there.

I think the idea is targeted at pubs that are already closed down. Most towns have at least one or two pubs lying empty, some for years. They are too big for most types of retail but not big enough for larger retailers to be interested in converting and renting out so they remain empty and unused. Theres three of them on the main street in my own local town that were closed down long before the pandemic came along. Theres likely to be more pub closures coming down the line too as they wont get all of the old custom back when they are allowed to re-open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think the idea is targeted at pubs that are already closed down. Most towns have at least one or two pubs lying empty, some for years. They are too big for most types of retail but not big enough for larger retailers to be interested in converting and renting out so they remain empty and unused. Theres three of them on the main street in my own local town that were closed down long before the pandemic came along. Theres likely to be more pub closures coming down the line too as they wont get all of the old custom back when they are allowed to re-open.

If you bring people back to the villages then what are they supposed to do when they have time off if all the pubs, cinemas and community centres are remote working hubs? They'll have to go into the nearest big town or city for entertainment so the rural villages will just be for work and sleep with maybe a shop if it hasn't been turned into a hub. That's not bringing life back to our rural villages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I thought the idea was to find suitable empty buildings to be made into remote hubs and then if there are empty pubs/restaurants turn them into community areas? And I highly doubt they're gonna turn village pubs and shops into remote hubs without demand from people in that village, wouldn't they be better placed putting it in this mystical "town" you would need to go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you bring people back to the villages then what are they supposed to do when they have time off if all the pubs, cinemas and community centres are remote working hubs? They'll have to go into the nearest big town or city for entertainment so the rural villages will just be for work and sleep with maybe a shop if it hasn't been turned into a hub. That's not bringing life back to our rural villages.

Well Im sure there will still be pubs open. In my own town there are 7 pubs on the main street, 3 are permanently closed a number of years and the remaining four do quite well with food and drink (pandemic aside). There probably isnt a town in Ireland that doesnt have at least one empty pub that will never again trade as a pub, over 1,200 have closed down over the last few years according to the Vintners.

In any case the government plan is all pie in the sky, it was just yet another announcement for the media and PR with no detail of budgets or timelines. Also more or less the exact same thing was announced during the last governments plan for rural Ireland so this was just a rehashing of the same story with nothing having happened in the meantime, its all just noise from a government great at announcing things but then never following up. This will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Shouldn't this be in the April Fool's Day thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Oops! Just saw it was started yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the April Fool's Day thread?

You could be forgiven for thinking that.

Advertisement