Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

thebaz wrote: »
    well it does to me , given one would be risker and worse for overall health , but all logic has been lost after nearly 12 months lockdown, turning society against each other, what a horrible place it has all become. The hospital cases have plateauted, we have flattened the curve , ther is a vaccine , the vulnerable are getting vaccinated but that seams forgotten in our outrage and state of anxiety that has been created.

Well your not correct then.

One is a group of teenagers, one are adults' and arguably role models.

One should be held to a higher standard as they should know better.

Both are wrong, yes.... 2 different set of circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They should be stripped of the 6 all irelands and at least their last 10 leinsters as punishment

And split in 4 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

walshb wrote: »
    If it turns out to be a joke, then that is actually worse....

Highly unlikely it’s an April fools!

Imagine getting infected and possibly infecting others for the banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just a curve ball, but wondering if Jim Gavin would have allowed this breach of regs considering his aviation / military background?

I don't think he would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just a curve ball, but wondering if Jim Gavin would have allowed this breach of regs considering his aviation / military background?

I don't think he would.

Under Jims watch the Dubs made a trip to Normandy at a time of the year when training camps were banned.......just to have a cultural experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

touts wrote: »
    The ban was only on County teams training. Not a hybrid team from the best players of four counties training. The only important thing for the GAA these days is that the DunlaoireRathdown-Fingal-DublinSouth-DublinCity hybrid regional team win the All Ireland to keep the sponsors happy.

Dublin Gaa is one County , bitter nonsense post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They were wrong, I've already said it on the GAA page, but I also think the guidelines surrounding sport are also wrong.

LOI clubs can train no problem.
    GAA clubs can't.

Only GAA players can catch the virus is the message I read from that.

Aren't all LOI teams professional now? Meaning that unlike the Dubs players, they don't leave training and go into work where there is a chance of spreading Covid if they've caught it?

If it is some sort of a joke by the Dublin GAA or Dublin media then:

1. It is in remarkably bad taste
    2. Joking about the Dublin team breaking the rules to agitate the bon Dublin fans will only backfire as it highlights the sense of entitlement that Dublin have.
    3. It puts the financial and population doping that Dublin have back into the public awareness and can only lead to renewed calls for the Dublin team to be split into the 4 counties that now make up the Dublin region everywhere else bar in the GAA.

Dublin GAA is one County , renewed calls all yous like , Dublin will never agree to a split ,unless County amalgamations happen as well

WrenBoy wrote: »
    So the people of Dublin are ignoring the lockdown and extending the lockdown for the rest of the country ?
    Wouldn't be like em.

Jesus wept :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

overshoot wrote: »
    No the message is LOI players are paid professionals, for players in both divisions it's their full time job.

Plenty of LOI players in the First Division are on the minimum contract of what, 50 euro a week.

Loads of them have other jobs to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The ban was only on County teams training. Not a hybrid team from the best players of four counties training. The only important thing for the GAA these days is that the DunlaoireRathdown-Fingal-DublinSouth-DublinCity hybrid regional team win the All Ireland to keep the sponsors happy.
    ribery.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

joe40 wrote: »
    I really hope this turns out to be a joke.
    The standard of behavior expected from the Dublin GAA team is a bit higher than expected from hordes of teenagers drinking in a park.

We have constantly heard how good this group of players were in term of the example they set.
    That has been severely damaged if this is true.

We don't get to choose which laws we follow. The public health advice is coming from health professionals and laws/restrictions are based on that.
    I don't necessarily agree with everything but high profile defiance like this should be dealt with seriously.

For some reason a lot of teams that are successful are made out to be made up of super people, generous, humble, honest etc. It definitely happened with Dublin, stories about cleaning dressing rooms, going to work the day after winning All Irelands. There is a huge tendency to put players on pedestals. Kilkenny are one of the only counties that this didn't happen with, never drew attention to themselves, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

I don't think he would.

Of course he would.

Achebe wrote: »
    Of course he would.

That’s a big accusation you’re making there, any proof Jim Gavin endorses breaching Covid regulations?

joe40 wrote: »
    I really hope this turns out to be a joke.
    The standard of behavior expected from the Dublin GAA team is a bit higher than expected from hordes of teenagers drinking in a park.

We have constantly heard how good this group of players were in term of the example they set.
    That has been severely damaged if this is true.

We don't get to choose which laws we follow. The public health advice is coming from health professionals and laws/restrictions are based on that.
    I don't necessarily agree with everything but high profile defiance like this should be dealt with seriously.

Given that a former high profile member of the panel was convicted of brutally assaulting a man in a pub, their good reputation simply came from people seeing what they wanted to see.

• Advertisement

That’s a big accusation you’re making there, any proof Jim Gavin endorses breaching Covid regulations?

He bent the rules about training camps when it suited him. I don't think he's a man who believes rules apply to him or his team's.

He bent the rules about training camps when it suited him. I don't think he's a man who believes rules apply to him or his team's.

A huge accusation to say he would breach Covid rules, you do have some proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Shur the elite GAA players were only tested once last year through the whole championship. I have that info from a very very good source.

Whole thing is a farce.

A huge accusation to say he would breach Covid rules, you do have some proof?

How could I? He doesn't coach the team anymore. But I think be would. If you want proof for my guesses, maybe I should ask for proof for your delusion that Jim Gavin doesn't break rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

osarusan wrote: »
    Plenty of LOI players in the First Division are on the minimum contract of what, 50 euro a week.

Loads of them have other jobs to go to.

I said for players in both divisions, didn't say all players were full-time. Not all players in the premier are full time either. Harps's Barry McNammee and Mark Coyle went to work in Letterkenny hospital after beating bohs on the opening day.
    And even for the players on 50e, tokenistic as it is, it is still being paid and a job, which is more than the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I don't think he would.

Jim Gavin could have provided the aerial reconnaissance to make sure there was no pesky photographers hiding in the bushes. And then bomb the bushes if there was, that'd learn 'em.

In any case I think the best solution now is to split the county in two and ban the northside Dubs from the All Ireland this year. That way we might get a competitive championship with just the southsiders on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

overshoot wrote: »
    I said for players in both divisions, didn't say all players were full-time. Not all players in the premier are full time either. Harps's Barry McNammee and Mark Coyle went to work in Letterkenny hospital after beating bohs on the opening day.
    And even for the players on 50e, tokenistic as it is, it is still being paid and a job, which is more than the GAA.

Sure, but saying the players are professional doesn't mean much if they are getting 50 a week and going to do their other job like GAA players and every other amateur.

A different poster said later that as full-time professionals they don't have other jobs to go to (and possibly infect/get infected).

I'm just making the point that they do.

As an aside, the most ridiculuous in all this for me has been rugby players standing two metres apart for the anthems, only to be packed like sardines into scrums or rucks 2 minutes later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A non story this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

How could I? He doesn't coach the team anymore. But I think be would. If you want proof for my guesses, maybe I should ask for proof for your delusion that Jim Gavin doesn't break rules.

Ah never let biased hatred get in to the way of making baseless accusations about people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

begbysback wrote: »
    Would that be the team or the citizens?

TBF, they'd all be very handsome by default.

Given that a former high profile member of the panel was convicted of brutally assaulting a man in a pub, their good reputation simply came from people seeing what they wanted to see.

One man doesn't mean they are all the same. Horrible take.

Jack McCaffrey is a top human being, should he be tarred with the same brush if a team mate does something wrong?

Shur the elite GAA players were only tested once last year through the whole championship. I have that info from a very very good source.

Whole thing is a farce.

Any evidence to back that up?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Jim Gavin could have provided the aerial reconnaissance to make sure there was no pesky photographers hiding in the bushes. And then bomb the bushes if there was, that'd learn 'em.

In any case I think the best solution now is to split the county in two and ban the northside Dubs from the All Ireland this year. That way we might get a competitive championship with just the southsiders on the pitch.

No harm in dreaming :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

The optics of all this looks awful (& on April Fools day of all days!) but don't be under any illusion that this is not happening up and down the country. The Dubs got caught and they'll have to deal with the consequences. I have no issue with people out doing training by themselves but non elite teams have been instructed not to train collectively. How hard is it to abide by this simple instruction?

The optics of all this looks awful (& on April Fools day of all days!) but don't be under any illusion that this is not happening up and down the country. The Dubs got caught and they'll have to deal with the consequences. I have no issue with people out doing training by themselves but non elite teams have been instructed not to train collectively. How hard is it to abide by this simple instruction?

I dont think every team are doing this, but id wager some are certainly training together and just havent been caught yet. This incident will hopefully put a stop to it.

Ive seen my local non elite soccer team training on the local astro for weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Any evidence to back that up?

Just a very good source (an intercounty player)

Just a very good source (an intercounty player)

I know an inter county player thats been tested multiple times. So I dont believe your source is accurate. They can only speak for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

I dont think every team are doing this, but id wager some are certainly training together and just havent been caught yet. This incident will hopefully put a stop to it.

Ive seen my local non elite soccer team training on the local astro for weeks now.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think it's more common than people think and the Dubs will of course bear the brunt of the anger. No statement yet from Dublin GAA is fairly telling IMO.

Didn't say he is above breaking any rules, few people are. But saying he would endorse breaking Covid regulations is a massive statement, one that shouldn't be made without some proof. This isn't like breaching a month reserved for clubs, there's a criminal element to breaching Covid regulations, plus it means endangering public health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

wpd wrote: »
    fourth wave here we come, just an example of the type of carry on thats getting us there
    did these guys go into a work setting after this? are any teachers?

by the middle of april we will be going back to full lockdown

I'm not condoning the training session but this isn't the "carry on" that s spreading the virus.

All training should be resuming for ALL age groups with specific guidelines in place for social distancing and it appears this is what the Dubs were doing.

Why is there not a competent organisation which could have got the testing in order which the WHO has said from day 1 was a key issue:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-51916707

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think it's more common than people think and the Dubs will of course bear the brunt of the anger. No statement yet from Dublin GAA is fairly telling IMO.

The lads let themselves and their county, and the GAA down.

From a county perspective it will be used as a stick to beat Dublin with by those jealous of their success. Always the same when a team is on top.

Am not anti GAA by any means, but the fact that at least three intercounty teams have breached regulations in the last few months shows a real arrogance in the association. It is a really disgraceful record.

The lads let themselves and their county, and the GAA down.

From a county perspective it will be used as a stick to beat Dublin with by those jealous of their success. Always the same when a team is on top.

One thing about it, I'd be reluctant to blame the players too much if they didn't organise the session.
    At intercounty level you are dispensable and if they don't go to training someone else will. Now of course they should still have refused, but if training is on and you don't go you know you are jeopardising your chances of having a future at intercounty level.

Am not anti GAA by any means, but the fact that at least three intercounty teams have breached regulations in the last few months shows a real arrogance in the association. It is a really disgraceful record.

Its not the GAAs fault in this instance. They only 2 days ago issue statement and guidelines for how teams should conduct themselves. If teams go rogue, its hardly their "arrogance" being shown.

Your not anti-GAA, but you appear to be with statements like the above.

GAA should make an example out of the players involved though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

One man doesn't mean they are all the same. Horrible take.

Jack McCaffrey is a top human being, should he be tarred with the same brush if a team mate does something wrong?

But having a man like that on the team does undermine the whole argument that they're all "top lads" "a great example" etc.

One thing about it, I'd be reluctant to blame the players too much if they didn't organise the session.
    At intercounty level you are dispensable and if they don't go to training someone else will. Now of course they should still have refused, but if training is on and you don't go you know you are jeopardising your chances of having a future at intercounty level.

True, I agree. Its all depends on who organized it. Was it the county? Was it a rogue coach? Was it the players themselves?

Either way punishment should be forthcoming by the GAA, or other clubs/counties will feel its ok to break the rules.

But having a man like that on the team does undermine the whole argument that they're all "top lads" "a great example" etc.

Did I say they were all "top lads". Treat each player on their own actions is my statement.

Its not the GAAs fault in this instance. They only 2 days ago issue statement and guidelines for how teams should conduct themselves. If teams go rogue, its hardly their "arrogance" being shown.

Your not anti-GAA, but you appear to be with statements like the above.

GAA should make an example out of the players involved though.

Sure, it’s not the association’s fault, nothing it can do really, but elements within the association have been irresponsible and arrogant, that is a fairer way to put it.

True, I agree. Its all depends on who organized it. Was it the county? Was it a rogue coach? Was it the players themselves?

Either way punishment should be forthcoming by the GAA, or other clubs/counties will feel its ok to break the rules.

This is the third inter county team in a few months, definitely need stiffer penalties. Dublin GAA need to com out and explain who organised it and what they are going to do about it.

Sure, it’s not the association’s fault, nothing it can do really, but elements within the association have been irresponsible and arrogant, that is a fairer way to put it.

How so?

I dont think anyone encourged the players to break rules from the GAA.

Im not saying the GAA heirarchy are all lovely, Id wager most are greedy moneygrabbers looking out for their own best interests. But I don't see how the GAA is at fault here.

they will be at fault if they dont punish those involved.

• Advertisement

This is the third inter county team in a few months, definitely need stiffer penalties. Dublin GAA need to com out and explain who organised it and what they are going to do about it.

I agree, and especially with the high profile county involved, action needs to be stiffer to deter others.

How so?

I dont think anyone encourged the players to break rules from the GAA.

Im not saying the GAA heirarchy are all lovely, Id wager most are greedy moneygrabbers looking out for their own best interests. But I don't see how the GAA is at fault here.

they will be at fault if they dont punish those involved.

Not the hierarchy for sure, but elements within county boards and management set ups. Those are part of the GAA. But I think we’re splitting hairs a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It doesn’t look much like a Dublin training session per say.... photo there shows 5 players doing a drill.

Either way fûcking stupidity, innisfails is right adjacent to one of the busier cemetery’s on the northside so there are always people in the vicinity...

Can’t be done on the hush hush..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Strumms wrote: »
    It doesn’t look much like a Dublin training session per say.... photo there shows 5 players doing a drill.

Either way fûcking stupidity, innisfails is right adjacent to one of the busier cemetery’s on the northside so there are always people in the vicinity...

Can’t be done on the hush hush..

Really shows up the dubs as a bunch of thicks
    They were obv training here for a while so gave people a chance to cop on to what they were doing also rocking up in sponsored cars lol

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Very telling of the character of a lot of Dublin fans how quick they are to condone this criminal incident

• Advertisement
Advertisement