Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elisa O'Donovan reports mass goers to gardai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Limerick91 wrote: »
    I wonder was she complaining about the BLM protest to the Gardai as well

Wow, i've seen BLM Whataboutery pop up in some strange places, but this is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

yop wrote: »
    Was that during the last lockdown definitely? If it is then she has some odd set of standards.

10 months ago according to the link above. I can't keep with lockdowns so God knows what the guidelines were but a safety gathering in a pandemic seems daft and counter productive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

so if we see a neighbour break covid rule then it gives us all a free pass??
    Or she shouldnt/couldnt learn from past mistakes??

Do you think if someone broke covid rules once, (and i think that would include most of ireland) does that disqualify them from reporting illegal gatherings/rule breaking?

I mean clearly she was right to call them out. If you are worried that she is a hypocrite, fair enough - but it doesn't give a free pass to the rule breakers.

She is a hypocrite. And I'd hazard she singled out the Church service because she considers them her ideological enemy. Votes from her fellow abortion advocates is the prize?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Social distanced and keeping apart - they would be pretty much keeping with the rules. I am saying the rules could be altered to allow them to do it safely.

Well then the rules should be altered to let me do what I want too.

Well then the rules should be altered to let me do what I want too.

It's seemingly unclear whether legally any rules were broken. Maybe it was the gardai who broke the rules by violating their constitutional rights.

• Advertisement

She is a hypocrite.?

Ok, let's say she is a hypocrite?

So what? What are you want to happen exactly?

You want Mass Goers to be exempt from the rules?

You want everyone who finds "comfort" to be exempt from the rules?

You want no rules at all?

Be more specific.

She is a hypocrite. And I'd hazard she singled out the Church service because she considers them her ideological enemy. Votes from her fellow abortion advocates is the prize?

I wouldn't blame any woman for seeing the church as the ideological enemy given that the church wants them out of the workforce and told them to shut up and do there wifely duties when they were being beaten and raped by their husbands

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame any woman for seeing the church as the ideological enemy given that the church wants them out of the workforce and told them to shut up and do there wifely duties when they were being beaten and raped by their husbands

So you are okay with discrimination as long as it only affects those you dislike or disagree with?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ok, let's say she is a hypocrite?

So what? What are you want to happen exactly?

You want Mass Goers to be exempt from the rules?

You want everyone who finds "comfort" to be exempt from the rules?

You want no rules at all?

Be more specific.

I'd rather we didn't have hypocrites in public office.

How about making the rules clear for a start. Is what they did unlawful?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

My understanding is that Elisa reported it because a number of people reported being heckled, intimidated and recorded while they were trying to walk down O'Connell Avenue. There is no space to walk on the path while there is a service on going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

For many the PUB is a place of sanctuary and solidarity with their fellow BOOZEHOUNDS is one of the primary sources of comfort

For many the GOLF COURSE is a place of sanctuary and solidarity with their fellow GOLFERS is one of the primary sources of comfort

For many THEIR PARENTS' HOUSE is a place of sanctuary and solidarity with their FAMILY is one of the primary sources of comfort

You can apply that logic to anything, really, doesn't change the fact that it is a) banned and b) non-essential.

Shifty
    how come the same rules don't apply to other Religous Communites
    why are the Garda not so Quick to visit and close down ??

I'd rather we didn't have hypocrites in public office.

How about making the rules clear for a start. Is what they did unlawful?

1) Everyone's with you there. Nobody wants hypocrisy. So nobody will argue with you there.

2) The rules are clear. Very clear. Are you having trouble understanding them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

yop wrote: »
    Was that during the last lockdown definitely? If it is then she has some odd set of standards.

It was during the initial lockdown (June 2020).
    Daisies wrote: »
    My understanding is that Elisa reported it because a number of people reported being heckled, intimidated and recorded while they were trying to walk down O'Connell Avenue. There is no space to walk on the path while there is a service on going

Why would mass goers record people passing them by? I've passed them on 3 or 4 occasions and I can't say we ever interacted and certainly I never saw any of them recording me.

So you are okay with discrimination as long as it only affects those you dislike or disagree with?

Where did I say anything about discrimination. As much as I don't like people holding illegal mass on O'Connell Ave. I would not rat them out.

What I did say in the post you replied to was I don't blame any woman for hating the church

You obviously have an issue with the catholic church, others don't and that's free choice but that shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether a group of people should or shouldn't gather in a public space.

phog wrote: »
    You obviously have an issue with the catholic church, others don't and that's free choice but that shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether a group of people should or shouldn't gather in a public space.

Good point.

Do you agree with the OP when they suggest that the Church should be exempt for the rules in the very same way?

I do hate the church. I don't know how anyone can defend series rapists

The deciding factor is the law which they broke how do you not understand that. It's not a free choice it's the law

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭rightmove

Limerick91 wrote: »
    I wonder was she complaining about the BLM protest to the Gardai as well

Doubt it since its not about logic , its about virtue!!!

so if we see a neighbour break covid rule then it gives us all a free pass??
    Or she shouldnt/couldnt learn from past mistakes??

Do you think if someone broke covid rules once, (and i think that would include most of ireland) does that disqualify them from reporting illegal gatherings/rule breaking?

I mean clearly she was right to call them out. If you are worried that she is a hypocrite, fair enough - but it doesn't give a free pass to the rule breakers.

She reported SPAR for having seating available for patrons during the last lockdown but ignored a coffee shop she herself uses that had seats outside their premises.

She attends one mass gathering but reports another mass gathering.

She might well be learning from her own mistakes but imho she's picking and choosing who's breaking regulations and reporting only those that are outside her clique.

Imho, If as an elected rep you're going to start to publicly report people for breaking regulations then you yourself should be squeaky clean.

Good point.

Do you agree with the OP when they suggest that the Church should be exempt for the rules in the very same way?

Why ask me that? Read my post here and see for yourself what I've siad about the gathering.
    I do hate the church. I don't know how anyone can defend series rapists

That's for another thread unless you want to use this one for your own agenda.
    The deciding factor is the law which they broke how do you not understand that. It's not a free choice it's the law

Which law are you referring to here? If it's the rapist stuff that you want to discuss then don't bother replying as I've no issue in discussing the catholic church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if my brother breaks covid regulations im not going to call the cops on him. if my neighbor has a loud covid house party i might.
    Does that mean i am as bad as her?

Does the person who ratted out the dublin GAA players live within 5km of the field they took the photos in? was the whistle blower vetted before the story ran, to make sure they never broke covid rules themselves?

At the end of the day its no very christian to put peoples lives in danger by breaking covid rules. When the mega churches ran super spreader events in the USA im sure most people rolled their eyes. Now we have local priests doing the same thing, albeit on a smaller scale. The problem is that god wont prevent ICU beds being filled up with a 4th wave of covid.

See what i did there. i focused on the problem, not the whistleblower.

Why ask me that? Read my post here and see for yourself what I've siad about the gathering.

So you agree with her. You just want to use this as an excuse to give out about your perceived hypocrisy and throw around Whataboutery.

I think you should take your own advice here.....

if my brother breaks covid regulations im not going to call the cops on him. if my neighbor has a loud covid house party i might.
    Does that mean i am as bad as her?

Does the person who ratted out the dublin GAA players live within 5km of the field they took the photos in? was the whistle blower vetted before the story ran, to make sure they never broke covid rules themselves?

At the end of the day its no very christian to put peoples lives in danger by breaking covid rules. When the mega churches ran super spreader events in the USA im sure most people rolled their eyes. Now we have local priests doing the same thing, albeit on a smaller scale. The problem is that god wont prevent ICU beds being filled up with a 4th wave of covid.

See what i did there. i focused on the problem, not the whistleblower.

If you attend a house party can you really complain that your neighbour has a house party.

If you attend a house party and it's generally known that you have attended house parties would you go on social media to report a neighbour of hosting a house party?

Which law are you referring to here? If it's the rapist stuff that you want to discuss then don't bother replying as I've no issue in discussing the catholic church.

Rich you talking about agendas.

The law I am referring to is regarding your post
    "You obviously have an issue with the catholic church, others don't and that's free choice but that shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether a group of people should or shouldn't gather in a public space."

The deciding factor is the law in regards to public gatherings not free choice. The church organized an illegal gathering and that has nothing to do with my views on the church but is about the law.

And don't tell me what I can and can't discuss

So you agree with her. You just want to use this as an excuse to give out about your perceived hypocrisy and throw around Whataboutery.

I think you should take your own advice here.....

Where's the perceived hypocrisy, my OP on this explained her hypocrisy in picking and choosing what she publicly reports to the Gardai..

Rich you talking about agendas.

The law I am referring to is regarding your post
    "You obviously have an issue with the catholic church, others don't and that's free choice but that shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether a group of people should or shouldn't gather in a public space."

The deciding factor is the law in regards to public gatherings not free choice. The church organized an illegal gathering and that has nothing to do with my views on the church but is about the law.

You obviously missed my earlier post.
    And don't tell me what I can and can't discuss

Have I? If you think I've been unfair to you use the report button and let a mod decide.

Where's the perceived hypocrisy, my OP on this explained her hypocrisy in picking and choosing what she publicly reports to the Gardai..

But that's not the topic of conversation. The OP is not about hypocrisy, it's asking for opinions on whether people should be allowed congregate to pray ad whether or not the Garda have anything better to do...........
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/621445/gardai-clear-worshippers-who-listening-to-masses-outside-limerick-churches.html

Apparently women were feeling intimidated by the people praying.

Anyone know more about this? The people pictured seem to be socially distancing and outside. Have the gardai nothing better to do? Opinions?

You've hijacked the thread to push your own agenda. So again, you should take your own advice..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone

Slava Ukrainii

Have I? If you think I've been unfair to you use the report button and let a mod decide.

You accused me of peddling an off topic agenda. If you have a problem with that next time instead of telling me to find another thread follow your own advice and use the report button and let a mod decide

But that's not the topic of conversation. The OP is not about hypocrisy, it's asking for opinions on whether people should be allowed congregate to pray ad whether or not the Garda have anything better to do...........

You've hijacked the thread to push your own agenda. So again, you should take your own advice..........

If you READ the article that is quoted in the OP then you can see she has gone out of her way to tell these people move on - what right has she to that when you take into account her own actions a few months earlier.

• Advertisement

You accused me of peddling an off topic agenda. If you have a problem with that next time instead of telling me to find another thread follow your own advice and use the report button and let a mod decide

Original :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement