Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elisa O'Donovan reports mass goers to gardai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

phog wrote: »
    If you READ the article that is quoted in the OP then you can see she has gone out of her way to tell these people move on - what right has she to that when you take into account her own actions a few months earlier.

Again, the OP was asking about the right of these people to congregate, and the Garda's response.

You have attempted to hijack the thread for your own agenda. That's quite clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

breezy1985 wrote: »
    For many young people especially ones who live alone or don't live with their partners social gatherings like pubs, concerts and sports are their primary source of comfort, sanctuary and solidarity. I know old people who only ever see their friends down the pub and have been without that comfort for a year now.

Why does the church continue to think it is special ?

well they believe in magic for starters

afro man wrote: »
    Shifty
    how come the same rules don't apply to other Religous Communites
    why are the Garda not so Quick to visit and close down ??

I've no indication if they do or not, you're asking the wrong person to be honest. Maybe direct it at those who are entrusted with enforcing the rules.

From my own personal POV, they should all be banned. However, if there are synagogues opening on the sly or people congregating outside a mosque, then that's no excuse to turn around and say, "well the Jewish lads are doing it so we should be allowed to do it". That's not how the real world works. If someone steals a mars bar from the shops would it be fair to say "well he got away with it so you have to let me rob a packet of Johnny Onion rings now....fair's fair".

well they believe in magic for starters

It's bizarre. The church and it's followers think they have such a moral high-ground that they think they should be exempt from the law.

Now, if they could show that their God had made them immune to contracting and spreading the virus, they might have a point. But I don't think there's much chance of that.

I've no indication if they do or not, you're asking the wrong person to be honest. Maybe direct it at those who are entrusted with enforcing the rules.

From my own personal POV, they should all be banned. However, if there are synagogues opening on the sly or people congregating outside a mosque, then that's no excuse to turn around and say, "well the Jewish lads are doing it so we should be allowed to do it". That's not how the real world works. If someone steals a mars bar from the shops would it be fair to say "well he got away with it so you have to let me rob a packet of Johnny Onion rings now....fair's fair".

You'd be surprised! Whataboutery has hit almost Covid-like epidemic levels.

"Did you hear some lad robbed a Mars Bar from the shop and got away with it?"

- "Oh yeah? What about BLM?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

well....this escalated quickly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

The Point is that Synagogues and Mosque are opening on the sly and also blatently opening... why are the Guards not enforcing the rules here … Seems it is easier to target the Irish Catholics / Christians... I Agree 100 % with you all should be banned,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Point is that Synagogues and Mosque are opening on the sly and also blatently opening... why are the Guards not enforcing the rules here … Seems it is easier to target the Irish Catholics / Christians... I Agree 100 % with you all should be banned,,,

Can you do something blatantly on the sly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Can you do something blatantly on the sly ?

silent fart in a lift

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dashoonage wrote: »
    well....this escalated quickly...

Ya it was a page an hour ago :D

Lads for the sake of each other just keep it civil. Religion can be a touchy subject at the best of times, and then Covid added to the mix is just going to leave strong opinions.
    Remember that there are many opinions on here and you're not going to agree with some of them, but pls respect them.
    Lots are under pressure, stress etc including on these forums so respect that too.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

More whataboutery.

None of them should be going on. There was a party in the park across the road from me most of the day on Tuesday. The Guards didn't disperse them.

So what? It has absolutely no baring on the scenario in the OP or any other scenario. None of them should be at it!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    More whataboutery.

None of them should be going on. There was a party in the park across the road from me most of the day on Tuesday. The Guards didn't disperse them.

So what? It has absolutely no baring on the scenario in the OP or any other scenario. None of them should be at it!

Agree with you.. But seems the Guards pick n choose who and when to enforce the regulations.. In fairness if you are a Guard you would choose the crowd praying to Disperse less hassle and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The true robbery here is the price of a packet of Johnny Onion rings, scandalous, but now I'm mad for a packet of Johnny Onion rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Again, the OP was asking about the right of these people to congregate, and the Garda's response.

You have attempted to hijack the thread for your own agenda. That's quite clear!

Again, the OP linked an article, I posted on what I read int he article. No hijacking on my side.

silent fart in a lift

Between your silly joke and your silly username I have almost pissed myself laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Did you ring the Guards?

The true robbery here is the price of a packet of Johnny Onion rings, scandalous, but now I'm mad for a packet of Johnny Onion rings.

Three bags for 1.50 in dealz

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

phog wrote: »
    Again, the OP linked an article, I posted on what I read int he article. No hijacking on my side.

In your first post in this thread you mentioned that the councillor had attended a “street gathering last year". No mention of that in the original post or linked article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Why does the church continue to think it is special ?

This isn't "the church" though - ICKSP are a weird, (mostly) rightwing splinter group of another, slightly older splinter group that were at odds with the Catholic Church for a number of reasons (none of them very honourable).

This group don't represent "the church" in Limerick or Ireland, not by a long shot.

This isn't "the church" though - ICKSP are a weird, (mostly) rightwing splinter group of another, slightly older splinter group that were at odds with the Catholic Church for a number of reasons (none of them very honourable).

This group don't represent "the church" in Limerick or Ireland, not by a long shot.

Well the Wikipedia link you posted seems to make clear that they have the full backing of church and pope

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifical_right

• Advertisement

Well the Wikipedia link you posted seems to make clear that they have the full backing of church and pope

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifical_right

I didn’t post a Wikipedia link?

What’s the first thing they tell you in secondary school? Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

It’s great that you got a nice little dig in against “the Church” with a load of thanks, but my point stands that they’re not representative of “the Church” in Limerick or in Ireland. They are merely tolerated.

Limericks Catholic bishop has continually called on priests and faithful to stay home and out of churches.

I didn’t post a Wikipedia link?

What’s the first thing they tell you in secondary school? Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

It’s great that you got a nice little dig in against “the Church” with a load of thanks, but my point stands that they’re not representative of “the Church” in Limerick or in Ireland. They are merely tolerated.

Limericks Catholic bishop has continually called on priests and faithful to stay home and out of churches.

Yes you did and then edited your post. My Wikipedia link came from you page posted. Here it is again and it makes clear they are sanctioned by the church
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Christ_the_King_Sovereign_Priest

Yes you did and then edited your post. My Wikipedia link came from you page posted. Here it is again and it makes clear they are sanctioned by the church
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Christ_the_King_Sovereign_Priest

I edited my post to add the parentheses about their reasons for being at odds with the Church.

My original point stands anyhow. I work in Church diplomacy and know far more about these things than you and most others. This is not, as you’ve tried to assert, an example of “the church” continuing to think they’re exempt from lockdown restrictions.

By your logic it would also surely be correct to assert to assert that the entire Dublin senior football team think themselves too special to adhere to lockdown rules because nine of them were caught training in a field, but that’s not true either.

I’m merely pointing this out. Believe as you wish, but maybe have a read of Brendan Leahy’s (multiple) public appeals to priests and faithful to stay home.

I edited my post to add the parentheses about their reasons for being at odds with the Church.

My original point stands anyhow. I work in Church diplomacy and know far more about these things than you and most others. This is not, as you’ve tried to assert, an example of “the church” continuing to think they’re exempt from lockdown restrictions.

By your logic it would also surely be correct to assert to assert that the entire Dublin senior football team think themselves too special to adhere to lockdown rules because nine of them were caught training in a field, but that’s not true either.

I’m merely pointing this out. Believe as you wish, but maybe have a read of Brendan Leahy’s (multiple) public appeals to priests and faithful to stay home.

The Dublin manager has been suspended so someone in charge has taken responsibility for the entire Dublin team. The fact you work in church diplomacy does not mean your opinion is more valid and in fact I would say it makes it pretty bias and suspect.

Will the catholic church who sanction this group dish out any punishment to the church that broke lockdown rules or will they turn a blind eye like they did to all the other crimes

The Dublin manager has been suspended so someone in charge has taken responsibility for the entire Dublin team. The fact you work in church diplomacy does not mean your opinion is more valid and in fact I would say it makes it pretty bias and suspect.

Will the catholic church who sanction this group dish out any punishment to the church that broke lockdown rules or will they turn a blind eye like they did to all the other crimes

That you obviously know so little (nothing) about ICKSP but still consider their actions in Limerick to be representative of the whole church in Limerick or Ireland is equally as biased and suspect..anything to get a sly dig in at the institution though I suppose.

You could always write to Brendan Leahy to address the matter. As you probably know by now he is very pro-lockdown and in favour of safeguarding public health, so any concerns would not be falling on deaf ears of course.

Whether or not ICKSP will heed a word of what he has to say to them is another matter though. They’re already contravening the public health guidelines, as well as the decrees from the church and bishops to stay home and out of churches, but that is sort of in their nature, if you know anything about sedevacantist groups.

That you obviously know so little (nothing) about ICKSP but still consider their actions in Limerick to be representative of the whole church in Limerick or Ireland is equally as biased and suspect..anything to get a sly dig in at the institution though I suppose.

You could always write to Brendan Leahy to address the matter. As you probably know by now he is very pro-lockdown and in favour of safeguarding public health, so any concerns would not be falling on deaf ears of course.

Whether or not ICKSP will heed a word of what he has to say to them is another matter though. They’re already contravening the public health guidelines, as well as the decrees from the church and bishops to stay home and out of churches, but that is sort of in their nature, if you know anything about sedevacantist groups.

Are they part of the catholic church in the sense that catholics can go there to pray and receive mass?
    Are they sanctioned by the pope?
    If they do not follow the teachings of the church do the church advise followers that they are not part of the roman catholic church and not to attend mass in their premises?
    Do they have pontifical right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Although Limerick has been a hotbed for this kind of thing over the years. I'm thinking the 1904 'pogrom' against the Jews in the city, Sean South, Nora Bennis...

Although Limerick has been a hotbed for this kind of thing over the years. I'm thinking the 1904 'pogrom' against the Jews in the city, Sean South, Nora Bennis...

What's the Sean South story ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What's the Sean South story ?

He was an IRA 'volunteer' killed in an attack on an RUC station in 1957, also a fanatical Catholic, even by the standards of the 1950s, who founded a local branch of ultra-conservative group Maria Duce.

• Advertisement

He was an IRA 'volunteer' killed in an attack on an RUC station in 1957, also a fanatical Catholic, even by the standards of the 1950s, who founded a local branch of ultra-conservative group Maria Duce.

It's the catholic connection I was wondering about. Hadn't heard about his religious leanings before.
    The confraternity in Limerick is another oddity of the fake piusness of Limerick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement