Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Porterstown School Development Plan

Options
  • 01-04-2021 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen this? http://www.clonsillashd.ie/

The mockup-up photos look pretty enough. But it will totally destroy the existing canal walk amenity.

At the moment that stretch has an incredibly "wild" countryside feel to it. This will open it up to rows of apartments, strip back all the vegetation etc. It looks more like the canal does already at Ashtown.

I'm not saying you can't build apartments there, but to destroy a beauty spot and walking/cycling amenity like that would be terrible.

Just realised the attached photo is probably the stretch from Coolmine to he Old schoolhouse, not the bit from the old schoolhouse to Clonsilla, but you the idea of the greenery wildlife etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Looks like you won't have to worry about any change to the area in the short-term. An Bord Pleanala have just refused planning permission for this 360 home development!

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308695.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Another view point is that opening it up will make it safer to use as the towpath will be overlooked.

Also, multiple access points make it more useful for walks and journeys. For example, I cycle along the towpath from Porterstown Road and exit at Weaver's Wood to get to Lidl Clonsilla. If that access point wasn't there I'd have to cycle along Clonsilla Road and that is not a pleasant or safe option.

Yes, some greenery would be lost but that is progress. I live in Carpenterstown which was one fields. It would be hypocritical of me to complain about new builds on green space as that is exactly how my house came to be.

Having said that, I don't like the build-to-rent approach and I think that it's naive to expect that residents won't own cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

daymobrew wrote: »
    Another view point is that opening it up will make it safer to use as the towpath will be overlooked.

Also, multiple access points make it more useful for walks and journeys. For example, I cycle along the towpath from Porterstown Road and exit at Weaver's Wood to get to Lidl Clonsilla. If that access point wasn't there I'd have to cycle along Clonsilla Road and that is not a pleasant or safe option.

Yes, some greenery would be lost but that is progress. I live in Carpenterstown which was one fields. It would be hypocritical of me to complain about new builds on green space as that is exactly how my house came to be.

Having said that, I don't like the build-to-rent approach and I think that it's naive to expect that residents won't own cars.

Lots of access points are handy, but can spoil the sense of getting away from the urban sprawl that exists right now.

Laurel lodge and carpenterstown are certainly all built up now, but you still have a green barrier between the canal and the houses (having the railway there also helps I guess). But stripping back all vegetation etc as in the plan would dramatically change this space, probably forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 merci beaucu

Absolutely agree, all the beauty of the canal work will be gone. Upsetting... Delighted that the permission for Kellystown is refused. How they even were in their minds to apply for 8-storey apatment blocks. They would have chopped all the greenery from the other side of canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's not really comparable to building on farmland which is of negligible environmental benefit. The canal is supposed to be a protected habitat and this proposal is pretty shocking in its impact. Makes a mockery of the greenway too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The tourism branded bit of the Greenway starts at Maynooth and likely always will - from Maynooth the city centre its being done up to be a cycle commuting route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not a chance that will go ahead.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I suspect they will keep applying until they get it through, or some version of it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

beauf wrote: »
    I suspect they will keep applying until they get it through, or some version of it through.

The SHD process is being abolished so they might have to go through the actual planning process for any future applications. More scrutiny and more chances for the decision to be appealed thankfully. The SHD process is undemocratic and totally unfair to those whose lives will be impacted by the development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Pity to see it denied, it looks good and it would be nice to clean up an area that feels/looks like a crack den with overgrown weeds all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Pity to see it denied, it looks good and it would be nice to clean up an area that feels/looks like a crack den with overgrown weeds all over the place.

I don't think its the only option. That plan or nothing.
    The "weeds" look nice from the canal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Caranica wrote: »
    The SHD process is being abolished so they might have to go through the actual planning process for any future applications. More scrutiny and more chances for the decision to be appealed thankfully. The SHD process is undemocratic and totally unfair to those whose lives will be impacted by the development.

What's the SHD?

What's the SHD?

Strategic Housing Development. Currently any application for 100 units or more can go straight to An Bord Pleanala, bypassing the Council planning processes. It means that the only appeal process after ABP is via Judicial review in the High Court. The appeal cannot be on the merits of the application, only on an error in the planning process or documents. Bat population studies or lack thereof was the basis of one review I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Lot of activity out tonight in the area - think some local pubs are doing take away drinks and kids are all over the place.

Just saw this posted on social media - anyone know how severe it is? is the building burning down?

551175.jpg

“Roll it back”

Eeeek, memories of the Phoenix Park racecourse building fire. That lead to development...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Badly burned in the end?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Walked past it this morning, no damage apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Badly burned in the end?

Went up yesterday - and noticed the basement door was burned down - but other than that and some vegetation, a tree and some ivy - looks still in same shape as it was recently....

So no real damage - but with no door its now open to vandals again though.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement