Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family trying to visit

Options

Comments

The in laws are vaccinated. Not the OP or wife.

It is also yet to be proven one way or the other as to whether vaccinated people can still tranmit covid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BobbyBolivia

Marty1983 wrote: »
    So the grandparents visiting is not to help just to see and coo over children. I work from home and so the vast majority of housework etc.

It’s not that I’m being inhuman, I genuinely believe that rules are the same for everyone, it’s not an example I want to set for the kids that your grandparents can do what they want.

If they want to risk fines etc I am happy for them to visit as long as They stay outside and keep their 2m.

I'm not sure if your baby will be old enough for the life lesson to sink in.

Whatever lesson you are trying to teach anyway? Ignore the evidence regarding the effectiveness of vaccine in massively reducing transmission, ignore the evidence of how the virus is a non-event for virtually all children, and assume that every government decision is completely sound - when we have decades of evidence that the government has been wrong more often than not.

The childs grandparents are vaccinated. This is absurd stuff.

You're going to have nothing to talk about when the vaccine ends covid.

You probably won't even stick around to acknowledge how wrong you were.

IF. COVID has shown us our constitution isn't worth the paper it's written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It is also yet to be proven one way or the other as to whether vaccinated people can still tranmit covid

Good reason for to wait another bit I think

Its the grandparents visiting, a bit of perspective there, ya

• Advertisement

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Just don't get comparing any of this shīt to nazi shīt. Way out of the line imo.

The only difference so far is that we think the government have our best interests at heart. That's it. They have taken away basic freedoms more easily and quickly than the nazis did. I've read extensively on the subject and it's the banality of the whole thing that is so frightening. Exactly stuff like this.

As Voltaire said “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” And this is an absurdity.

I'm not suggesting this is some sort of Fourth Reich, just that all the building blocks are already in place for anyone to use the same methods in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I said when.

Let's meet back here in a year and see who's wrong, and just how wrong they are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Pretty sure this is a poor effort at trolling but if not -
    You are part of the problem why this lunacy is continuing , what do you mean keeping your family safe ??

The situation above is ZERO risk.

If the govt told you to wear a plastic bag over yoyur head would you ?

Sadly I think you would, while clapping along thinking it's for the best and will end soon ...

HOLD FIRM ...

ALL IN THIS TOGETHER ... etc ...

Mod

Stay out of this thread. Thanks.

I said when.

Let's meet back here in a year and see who's wrong, and just how wrong they are ;)

In a year we'll be back here and most likely most of the restrictions will have been lifted. However there might be a flu resurgence and then we will be masked up, socially distanced etc again. Let's assume they don't.

Our economy will be in an utter mess and taxes and austerity will have skyrocketed.

We will have thousands of excess deaths from untreated and undiagnosed cancer, stroke, heart disease, diabetes etc - but there will be no daily NPHET meetings and stats for them.

Our health service will be in ruins despite record spending even for them.

That's the best case scenario and is entirely predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

The only difference so far is that we think the government have our best interests at heart. That's it. They have taken away basic freedoms more easily and quickly than the nazis did. I've read extensively on the subject and it's the banality of the whole thing that is so frightening. Exactly stuff like this.

As Voltaire said “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” And this is an absurdity.

I'm not suggesting this is some sort of Fourth Reich, just that all the building blocks are already in place for anyone to use the same methods in the future.

Mentioning absurdities...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd see nothing wrong with them coming up, their own risk if they are fined but I'd not let them inside the house or within 2 metres, especially with a newborn baby. A positive Covid test will stay with the baby their entire life for life insurance declarations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

In a year we'll be back here and most likely most of the restrictions will have been lifted. However there might be a flu resurgence and then we will be masked up, socially distanced etc again. Let's assume they don't.

Our economy will be in an utter mess and taxes and austerity will have skyrocketed.

We will have thousands of excess deaths from untreated and undiagnosed cancer, stroke, heart disease, diabetes etc - but there will be no daily NPHET meetings and stats for them.

right, so it's gone from the fourth reich, to never ending restrictions, to economic turmoil in 3 posts.

Take a break there champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Honestly, I think you are being completely unreasonable. The risk presented by two fully vaccinated adults is tiny. The emotional strain you are putting on your family is significant. I think you are seriously misjudging the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I suppose my question is what value do their visits bring to your wife. For alot of women, there's no one like their own mam and dad after having the baby. Is your wife happy either way, seeing them or not or is she on the side of wanting them around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Substantiate ANY of this or stay out of this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

JPup wrote: »
    Honestly, I think you are being completely unreasonable. The risk presented by two fully vaccinated adults is tiny. The emotional strain you are putting on your family is significant. I think you are seriously misjudging the situation.

But it's four adults in a house and only two of them vaccinated?

But it's four adults in a house and only two of them vaccinated?

Yes, but the other two are one family unit. So where is the risk? Vaccinated people are very unlikely to contract or spread Covid-19. That's the whole point of the vaccine.

M

JPup wrote: »
    Yes, but the other two are one family unit. So where is the risk? Vaccinated people are very unlikely to contract or spread Covid-19. That's the whole point of the vaccine.

The whole point of the vaccines is to limit the damage the virus will do to those infected with it. "Very unlikely" hasn't been quantified yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

They are vaccinated. What is the issue exactly?

Not to mention that your children would be more likely to die in a car accident than from Covid.

I genuinely cannot get over what Covid and the media have done to people in this country when a pair of vaccinated grandparents cannot hold their grandchild.

+1

Let your vaccinated in laws see their grandchild for the love of God.

If they are vaccinated and you dont have any of the known risk factors (+65, BMI +40, untreated diabetes) the risks are negligible.

I presume you dont worry about contracting mumps or polio from them - or other diseases they are vaccinated against? Why would would you worry about contracting a disease they statistically cant have? *

Also "essential childcare" is an allowed reason for travel. The 5km rule is for exercise (and an arbitrary rule with no basis in risk prevention)

Turn off RTE and let the baby meet its grandparents.

*I'm not interested in unscientific responses along the lines of "but the vaccine doesnt mean your vaccinated ya know". Yes, it does mean you are vaccinated.

Well the risk of a vaccinated couple visiting is certainly lower than if either of the parents go to the local shops to buy messages, since they are full of people yet to be vaccinated. Is the opening poster shunning all contact outside of their household - only having goods delivered to the door and otherwise staying well away from people? I mean if you are at that level of risk aversion, then fair enough. But I don't think it is reasonable or rational not to allow the in-laws to visit in this case where they have been vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

. A positive Covid test will stay with the baby their entire life for life insurance declarations etc.

This is categorically untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I'd see nothing wrong with them coming up, their own risk if they are fined but I'd not let them inside the house or within 2 metres, especially with a newborn baby. A positive Covid test will stay with the baby their entire life for life insurance declarations etc.

I think the planet will have a lot more things to worry about than if Covid is still a thing when this baby has grown up and is applying for a mortgage ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its been proven that the vaccinations reduce the risk of transmission massively

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Substantiate ANY of this or stay out of this thread.

A quick 5 minutes on Google ....

Ibec warns Ireland’s total Covid bill could reach €50bn
    - this is old, likely to be much worse now as the PUP, EWSS etc were never meant to go on this long or be so extensive.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ibec-warns-ireland-s-total-covid-bill-could-reach-50bn-1.4355614

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/non-covid-pandemic-deaths-must-be-counted-ipa-says-1089987.html
    The patient advocacy group has forecast that even if a “modest 0.5 per cent” of those waiting for over 12 months to access care die due to a delayed diagnosis or deteriorating condition, this will equate to some 1,250 deaths.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ireland-s-covid-plan-will-see-five-levels-billions-spent-on-health-public-pay-hikes-unlikely-1.4352914
    The State is facing additional health costs of well over €3 billion to deal with the impact of Covid-19 and other pressures on services this winter and into next year, as part of plans being considered by the Government.

This is old by the way, it's much worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

. A positive Covid test will stay with the baby their entire life for life insurance declarations etc.

Any proof/source of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭IBrows89

A lot of people seem to be very short sighted saying it doesn't affect children, there is no evidence on the long term affects of Covid n children especially if picked up by a new born.

I agree that the risks are low but if it was you're new born you wouldn't want to increase the risk of your new baby having health issues by any minute percentage, due to the grand parents working environment and one of their childs not abiding the rules the risks are going to be higher again. It's not a nice situation to be in for a new parent being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'd say let them come down and keep their distance but can see the child from 2m away/everyone wear masks at all times.

Let them risk the fine if they want then as well because it's not an essential journey currently.

M

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

It's already a question on most new life business....

If you have tested positive for Covid-19 we will not be able to consider your application at present. Additionally, if you are waiting for a Covid-19 test or, within the last month, have had to self-isolate due to medical advice received or due to contact with any individual suspected/confirmed to have Covid-19 then unfortunately we will also not be able to consider your application at present.

However, we will be able to consider an application one month from the date of recovery or completion of self-isolation if you have no residual complications and have returned to normal activities.
    https://www.layahealthcare.ie/coronavirus/faq/life/

"When taking out a life assurance policy, the existence or potential of any medical condition needs to be taken into consideration. Therefore we would expect that questions relating to Covid-19 would be included in a new application in much the same way as questions are included relating to high blood pressure or heart attacks and strokes.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40214801.html

"Insurance Ireland, who represent the Irish insurance sector, said it would expect questions over Covid-19 to be included as questions over conditions such as high blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes and asthma have always been asked by insurers.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/6474342/irish-life-assurance-asked-insurance-companies-covid/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Any excuse from insurance companies not to pay out in the future.

M

Kalimah wrote: »
    Any excuse from insurance companies not to pay out in the future.
    Exactly, the question should be illegal to ask, it will lead to people deciding not to be officially tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Covid is a nice excuse to avoid the in laws.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement