Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family trying to visit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Simple, make the in-laws sign a contract stating that all future costs of any infection will result in ALL costs for medical care and personal losses be passed onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It's already a question on most new life business....

Umm..
    However, we will be able to consider an application one month from the date of recovery or completion of self-isolation if you have no residual complications and have returned to normal activities.

You just proved that poster right. No insurer will hold a covid-19 diagnosis against you for the rest of your life - its totally absurd and would never get past the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Personally, I think that as the visits are in breach of the covid restrictions then it is up to the householder where any visits are happening.
    So if the OP is uncomfortable with the visits to his own home, then that should be respected.

I also think that this issue should be discussed between the OP and his wife and a decision made and once made then that becomes their joint decision. Otherwise, the situation could lead to resentment down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Marty1983

Thanks folks, as i thought everyone has a different opinion.

Its not an easy decision, the name calling etc. is also not helpful.

Thanks to those who gave constructive advice.

Happy Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Personally, I think that as the visits are in breach of the covid restrictions then it is up to the householder where any visits are happening.
    So if the OP is uncomfortable with the visits to his own home, then that should be respected.

I also think that this issue should be discussed between the OP and his wife and a decision made and once made then that becomes their joint decision. Otherwise, the situation could lead to resentment down the road.

It's not breaking restrictions, childcare is allowed as a reason to travel.

Personally I would allow them to visit. I'm all for sticking to the rules but two vaccinated grandparents pose a completely negligible risk to anyone in the OPs house, and any parent will know a little help with a newborn goes a long way.

That's ignoring the conflict being caused within the family too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

lausp wrote: »

Personally I would allow them to visit. I'm all for sticking to the rules but two vaccinated grandparents pose a completely negligible risk to anyone in the OPs house, and any parent will know a little help with a newborn goes a long way.

I thought that the OP clarified that it wasn't for childcare but rather social visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Gooser14

But that doesn't stop them from transmitting the virus to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

lausp wrote: »

completely negligible risk is not no risk

Will you pay for the little white coffin then ?

To hell with them and conflict and shunning and and and , it's your main job to look after that baby

• Registered Users Posts: 31,557 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is there a compromise that could be reached? Like getting the grandparents to isolate themselves for 3 or 4 days and then take an antigen test (they work out about a tenner each) before they come down? That should reduce the risk further and give you peace of mind.

gctest50 wrote: »

Wow. What a completely OTT remark.

I seriously question some people on boards when I read stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BobbyBolivia

To hell with them and conflict and shunning and and and , it's your main job to look after that baby

Bizarre, borderline insane comment. Christ.

Nothing in life has no risk. When they got into the car to bring the baby home there was risk (however tiny). When you step outside your front door every day there is risk (however tiny) you might get struck by lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Bizarre, borderline insane comment. Christ.

Nothing in life has no risk. When they got into the car to bring the baby home there was risk (however tiny). When you step outside your front door every day there is risk (however tiny) you might get struck by lightning.

Except getting into the car to bring your baby home is a necessary risk.

That's grand so, never go out of your house again and isolate from everyone as you pretty certainly transmitted flu which killed someone in the past. And more likely to have killed a baby with flu than COVID.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is there a compromise that could be reached? Like getting the grandparents to isolate themselves for 3 or 4 days and then take an antigen test (they work out about a tenner each) before they come down? That should reduce the risk further and give you peace of mind.

Where can you get such tests?

Covid is a nice excuse to avoid the in laws.

My brother's wife has been cocooning my mother since they got married 20 years ago.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Except getting into the car to bring your baby home is a necessary risk.

It's a much larger risk than having your vaccinated grandparents visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Everything the government told us so far has been wrong.
    We are in day 380+ of our 14 day flattening the curve while health care got ready.
    We'd be doing a million vaccines a month it's more like 250K now

We might all be vaccinated by June then again it could be September. The kid will only be this stage one I'd let them visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭munster87

That’s another level of fear mongering

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

It's already a question on most new life business....

It's a newborn baby.

How many life insurance firms are on record as saying they will be taking medical info going back to the newborn stage into perpetuity? And how unlikely is it that will still be a question in 2050+ when the newborn in question here goes for insurance?

It's such a silly thing to think, let alone post as a fact under things to worry about and as a reason why newborn babies should be kept apart from their grandparents

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    It's such a silly thing to think, let alone post as a fact under things to worry about and as a reason why newborn babies should be kept apart from their grandparents

Especially vaccinated grandparents..

• Advertisement

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

How many life insurance firms are on record as saying they will be taking medical info going back to the newborn stage into perpetuity? .......

It'll be cradle to the grave one of the days

myGoviD will soon have myHealthportal

https://www.ehealthireland.ie/A2I-HIDs-Programme/A2I-Staff-Meetings/Patient-Portal.pdf[/

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Just a general FYI since some people seem to think Covid poses a serious risk to the health of small children. It absolutely does not. There is no need for fearmongering.

Please read the stats here: https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

JPup wrote: »
    Just a general FYI since some people seem to think Covid poses a serious risk to the health of small children. It absolutely does not. There is no need for fearmongering.

Please read the stats here: https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

From the same page you posted :

However, there is an urgent need to collect more data on longer-term impacts of the pandemic on children, including ways the virus may harm the long-term physical health of infected children

I wouldn't think many grandparents have dropped dead because they couldn't visit their grandchildren

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP has deleted their narrative

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement