Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker appliance not working _ tenant or landlady ?

Options
  • 01-04-2021 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi, posting for a friend.

They have a long term tenancy. An item in their kitchen has become damaged/stopped working.

The item is the fan on top of cooker (extractor fan unit) full of grease and must've been like that for years. Landlady stated she spoke to RTB and they agree with her that it might not be her responsibility to repair or fix the item.

She has offered to pay for a new unit IF the tenant gets someone to fit it.

Does that seem fair/legal/normal ?

My friend has yet to respond, guess they were afraid to agree to get someone in as could cost a lot or if anything gets damaged etc.. t

They probably could fit it themselves , but is it tenant or landlady responsibility?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It depends on whether it falls under general wear and tear, or neglect by the tenant.

If the tenant had cleaned the extractor grease traps, would it have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You say they are in a long term tenancy. When did they last clean it?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You say they are in a long term tenancy. When did they last clean it?

I believe they replace the filters (white fluffy yokes) the vent at side of house is also full of grease. This needs to be replaced too id imagine?

Can't say if they cleaned the whole unit regularly (who does)? I thought most replace the filters etc..

Pic attached of actual unit after coming off wall....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Landlady should really check out the house annually and inform tenant in writing of any concerns. That would give her some protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Just to update.

Landlady and tenant have come to agreement on the work to be done.

All seems to be resolved now.

Yes I agree, annual or mid year check are a must to avoid such things....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just to update.

Landlady and tenant have come to agreement on the work to be done.

All seems to be resolved now.

Yes I agree, annual or mid year check are a must to avoid such things....

And correct use and maintenance and cleaning on the tenants behalf.
    Grease builds up on the steel mesh filters and the foam filters inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This is the second such thread on a similar topic in the last few weeks. Really must check mine! :pac:

Advertisement