Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I cancel my car insurance

• 01-04-2021 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

If I cancel my car insurance after six months can I get a refund for the remaining unused six months?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If I cancel my car insurance after six months can I get a refund for the remaining unused six months?

Normally yes less an admin fee, you'll need to send back the disc.

Details should be on their website or call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If it's in the 1st year with your insurer, additional charges are incurred. It will be in your policy book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If it's in the 1st year with your insurer, additional charges are incurred. It will be in your policy book

Haven't seen one of them in years:pac:
    Who are you insured with?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Haven't seen one of them in years:pac:
    Who are you insured with?

They are still issued by some insurers and even online versions are often called booklets

They are still issued by some insurers and even online versions are often called booklets

Jaysus they're gone that stingy now you have to print your own cert and disc, they can feck off if they think I'm printing off a whole booklet of legalise:mad:
    The last booklet I received was from RSA and that was donkeys years ago:pac:

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Jaysus they're gone that stingy now you have to print your own cert and disc, they can feck off if they think I'm printing off a whole booklet of legalise:mad:
    The last booklet I received was from RSA and that was donkeys years ago:pac:

Who's asking you to print a policy document? Relax, it's Easter, time for reflection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes, but you won't get 50% of the premium. It will be more like 20% after 6 months.

Who's asking you to print a policy document? Relax, it's Easter, time for reflection

John DeLorean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

Normally yes less an admin fee, you'll need to send back the disc.

Details should be on their website or call them.

I think you can suspend your policy and then reinstall it at a later date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're in the first year of the policy, expect to get very little back after 6 months, they typically penalise you severely when you cancel in the first year. Example: after 6 months and before 7 months, Aviva will only refund 10% of the premium.

If you're in the second or subsequent year of a policy, most of them say they will pay you a pro rata refund, minus an 'administration charge'. Liberty say this amount is shown in your schedule.

As with most questions about car insurance, you will probably get all the answers if you check the policy document. Which, in all cases, is available as a PDF download on the insurer's website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Just call them and ask?

Advertisement