Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight alteration to approved planning...

Options
  • 01-04-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Evening all, how are you doing.

How much of a hassle is it to change one tiny bit of a design already given planning permission. The total area remains the same, the floor plan remains the same, the ridge height remains the same. It's an alteration to one part of the roof. How much leeway are you allowed before it would be considered as an entirely different design, and needing to start the process all over again?

Second question, we have a combined greenhouse and shed granted planning as well, which are joined to the main building by a covered carport area, but we'd like to get the main build finished before we think too much about them. Is there a maximum time frame we'd have to get the works finished by, or do we have to have all intended works finished before anyone will sign off on it?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,545 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"how much" depends on the opinion of whomever is signing off the build.

Theres no hard and fast rule as to what is considered "substantially in compliance"

• Registered Users Posts: 19 peds

Roger that. Is there a wide range of results in similar circumstances? Have there been cases of people adding a couple of metres to their roof height and getting away with it, and at the other end of the scale, people adding something inconsequential like a bit of drainpipe somewhere and getting smacked down for it?

Might you have any idea about my second question? Can we build a house, move in, then crack on with the shed once our feet are under the table?

Cheers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,545 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Your permission lasts five years, so you've five years to do the works.

The only problem is if you are building the house AND shed by mortgage. If so you'll need to complete both at the same time (usually)

On your first question, again it's simply down to opinion. I've seen one engineer have a problem with 100mm added to the length of a house, whereas I've seen cases of nearly a metre added without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 19 peds

That's great, thanks for your help. Much easier to know we can split the build in two.

No, just the house on the mortgage, the shed/greenhouse will be built from scrimping and salvage. And we're having people who know what they're doing build the house, then I'll be doing the rest of it once we can live on site. The shed and greenhouse are more around my pay grade.

Advertisement