Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Detached house question.

Options
  • 01-04-2021 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

I won't beat around the bush, there is a house myself and my partner are interested in, it is marketed as a semi detqched house and it was until the other house burnt down. It is still down as a semi-d, my question here is, If someone buys the land beside the house and build a new house on it does it have to be attached to the existing one.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Burzum wrote: »
    I won't beat around the bush, there is a house myself and my partner are interested in, it is marketed as a semi detqched house and it was until the other house burnt down. It is still down as a semi-d, my question here is, If someone buys the land beside the house and build a new house on it does it have to be attached to the existing one.

Technically they could apply for planning for a detached house d make good the party wall elevation to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

If they wanted to build and attach it, would we have any say in it? As would rather have a detached house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d question the structural integrity of the adjoining house as a result of the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they wanted to build and attach it, would we have any say in it? As would rather have a detached house.

In most cases especially if insurance job it will be like for like.....

Highly unlikely to be detached unless there is a lot of room on the site and as mentioned planning would be needed to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How long ago did the adjoined house burn down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d quest the structural integrity of the adjoining house as a result of the fire.

Absolutely, what's the finish on what used to be the party wall? What about the roof, attic etc?

Sounds a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The boundary is still the same if they had insurance the house would be rebuilt to a similar design as before
    It's their land you don't have a say in whether is semi or detached
    If you can buy the house and like the area you should go ahead
    and buy it
    Maybe get a survey to make sure theres no major damage
    To the house you intend to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Well you don’t own the land next to yours why would you have a say? Once the house rebuilt is like for like, any extensions may need any permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's some desperation to have a detached house that you'd buy a semi detached where the other half had burned down.

You have no say in it. It would not be your land nor property. It could decay away to nothing or it could be rebuilt. Either way, nothing to do with you.

Advertisement