Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a commercial minivan as a car?

• 01-04-2021 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all, I wish to move away from a conventional car to using a minivan (kangoo, transit, berlingo, caddy etc). Want to do stealth camping and want lots of space in the back, no seats in back and perhaps just a driver's seat in the front. Also, no need for windows in the back or sides. So, my question is, if I purchase a commercical minivan:

(1) Can I and/or do I need to reregister it as a private car? If yes, does this cost?
    (2) Will my insurance premium remain as per an equivalent comparable car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

That's not a car, it's a van and would have to be insured as such. Any modifications such as the removal of a passenger seat would have to be declared to the insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can buy passenger versions of most of them and they have removable seats. Bit of limo tint* on the rear windows, you can't tint the windscreen or front windows above 35% and most glass is already got a bit of tint, and you have a stealth camper. Private car tax should be cheaper than taxing a commercial privately.

*some insurers require tints to be declared. So always tell them you've tinted the rear windows.

Advertisement