Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

survey before buying house

Options
  • 01-04-2021 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I am buying a 130 year old house for €800,000
    It appears to be in good nick and doesn't need any work on it. (as far as I know)
    We had a pre-purchase survey that didn't show up any problems but it was just a visual survery.
    Few cracks on the walls that he said was no problem, roof looked fine, no dips, went into attic, said it all looked fine but no detailed examination went on.

Would it be worth getting a proper in-depth survey?
    Who would do that for me?
    How much would that cost?

Was not filled with confidence at the visual nature of the survey that was done.
    Nor with the two page disclaimer that if anything was to happen that he was not liable!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭greasepalm

There was another post around like yourself buying a property and they got a survey done and oil leak was noted which added up to mega bucks so would think a proper one can save your hair and other issues.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

nino1 wrote: »

What do you mean by 'in-depth survey'?

If you mean somebody who will go in and open up stuff to look/check out things, there are very few vendors who will permit a prospective buyer to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You should st least gets the sewage and water checked with a camera survey. Even relatively new properties have issues with sewers or septic tanks and fixing either is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Usually people just go to a chartered engineer and they do the check and do up a report with the results.

Structural defects, leaks and damp after 120 years would be very evident with a visual survey.

Another option for a more in-depth survey would be to find a registered conservation architects practice and talk to them about a potential survey. They would deal with old properties all the time and renovations of same. If they couldn't tell you (or point you in the direction of someone who could) then no one can.

If you plan on doing work on the same house it might be worth talking to them too.

As for fees, I'm completely clueless, sorry.

EDIT: Is the house on Iona Road by any chance? If so, I'm assuming it's one of the recently renovated properties. You'd hope the builder did all these checks and remedial works before selling it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

nino1 wrote: »
    I am buying a 130 year old house for €800,000
    It appears to be in good nick and doesn't need any work on it. (as far as I know)
    We had a pre-purchase survey that didn't show up any problems but it was just a visual survery.
    Few cracks on the walls that he said was no problem, roof looked fine, no dips, went into attic, said it all looked fine but no detailed examination went on.

Who would do that for me?
    How much would that cost?

Was not filled with confidence at the visual nature of the survey that was done.
    Nor with the two page disclaimer that if anything was to happen that he was not liable!!

In a pre-Purchase Survey, not much else can be done.
    All surveys will be visual, no opening up works will typically be allowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement