Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi set up

Options
  • 02-04-2021 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Before I pull the trigger and buy the equipment. Want to double check I'm correct in what I'm doing.

Currently have 500mb broadband with virgin on their hub 3.

Have a ethernet cable running up to the bedroom to a 1gb switch. That's linked to a android box, PlayStation etc.

Find the WiFi upstairs awful. Wired connection anytime of the day I'm getting 450+ download speeds, but on WiFi, I'm only getting 10-60, but I'm not happy with it.

So I'm thinking of running another ethernet cable from the switch to the office in the next room. Connecting that to another switch for laptops and another console.

Then in the bedroom connect a ubiquiti access point for the WiFi upstairs.

Also going to try splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz into two separate connections.

Should this do the trick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Rochey18 wrote: »
    .......... running another ethernet cable from the switch to the office in the next room. Connecting that to another switch for laptops and another console.......
    Will work, its called daisy-chain.
    If having more than one WiFi AP's you can have them on same SSID/pass(different channels) for smooth transition from one AP to other

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sofiane9mm

Yes, perfectly

Advertisement