Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much did house prices drop after 2008?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bought in 2011, within a month or two of the bottom of the market, for €205k. Sold it eight years later (and a lot of legal wrangling) for €265k. Not too shabby.

In the height of the frenzy I think it was up on sale for about €400k, absolutely ludicrous.

very small increase ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ted1 wrote: »
    And they paid 40k cash in stamp duty.

Not on new houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I do know of one farmer who was sitting on say, 100 acres. Sold it for lets say €10 million (I have no idea of the figures involved) during the boom, sat on his money for a few years and then bought the whole lot back for about €2 million when the market crashed and the developer wanted rid. Went back to farming with a tidy profit.

There was a site in Dublin that sold for 950K on the North Strand. I was looking at buying it a few years later for 50K + 15K 'under the table'. Sneaky savvy residents didnt want apartments in their little enclave and got the building listed. Frequently drive by it thinking what could have been, but then I can't get someone to make me a Rad cover let alone take on a project like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 di7474

Bought our house in 2004 for €430K, next door neighbours bought theirs late 2007 for €640K, dropped to €350K in estate, now back selling circa €580K.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Not all houses fell off a cliff. We bought in 2014, neighbours bought in 2012. €40k difference. South county Dublin. Large semi D’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    very small increase ?

Just under 30%, small numbers in the grand scheme of things but I sold to the developers and that meant a saving of about 5 - 10k in fees plus the legal wrangling netted me 10k in interest payments.

Edit: Sadly the complex was in a state that a private sale would have been impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just under 30%, small numbers in the grand scheme of things but I sold to the developers and that meant a saving of about 5 - 10k in fees plus the legal wrangling netted me 10k in interest payments.

Edit: Sadly the complex was in a state that a private sale would have been impossible.

So not a typical sale at all

Between the bottom in 2012 and 2020 , prices doubled in much of Dublin

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This thread gives a good example of how nuts the noughties were, when you see that in most cases the 2021 value is still significantly below the 2007/08 value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

The official index from CSO shows that the peak price level was in 2007 (30% up on a base of Jan 2005). It declined then to just about half that level by 2012 (index around 66) and is now (Jan 2021) just under 16% below that 2007 peak (or 40% above the 2012 low..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

ted1 wrote: »
    And they paid 40k cash in stamp duty.

This...I can just about get over the house value issue but the stamp duty payment will haunt me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement