Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSWR coach 836

Options
  • 02-04-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭

Recently viewing photos from 1991, I was wondering about a bogie coach in Tuam, in the care of Westrail.

Awaiting restoration, lacking cladding along the bodyside, it appears to be shorter than most bogie coaches of the early twentieth century, possibly 50 feet.
    The roof arc and door & window layout resembled the coach superbly restored by the Downpatrick & County Down railway, namely number 836.

The DC&DR website states that 836 was bought from inchicore and was stored in Mullingar before heading north, no mention of Tuam.
    I still suspect that the coach in Tuam 1991, is the same vehicle.
    Can anyone confirm this, or rule out my speculation.

Comments

There was a coach No. 830 there maybe that's the one you saw.
    A job lot of stuff went to Dunsandle. Not sure what happened 830. I looked at the Dunsandle page of Eire trains website and could not see it. It may have been burnt with the Ruston a few months before site was cleared.

I probably knew once!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Possibly 892 which was reduced to an underframe, it's still in Tuam at the very end of the headshunt on the Athenry end.

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=3894

Or 890 which was burned in the shed fire. A lot of things got burned in Tuam.

Advertisement