Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Journalism & Politics

• 02-04-2021 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Yet another journalist taking a job in a political party.

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1377909851716784129

How can we trust journalists when so many are jumping ship to take jobs for those they supposed to hold to account? How do we know journalists are not just willing to keep their whistle clean just so it doesn't rule them out from getting a job with a party?

This is a shocking and worrying trend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Pussyhands wrote: »

How can we trust journalists when so many are jumping ship to take jobs for those they supposed to hold to account? How do we know journalists are not just willing to keep their whistle clean just so it doesn't rule them out from getting a job with a party?

You trusted journalists before this? :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

She was a columnist, so there's nothing wrong with it. It's not the same as a political correspondent taking up a job in a political party. Although many of them, especially at the Irish Times and Independent, have been unofficially doing PR work for Fine Gael for years anyway, so it's really a good thing when they make it official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I guess her second job as a barrister was not going well.

Meh, it's no surprise really....

Don't buy their papers, don't watch their TV, don't support the businesses who advertise with them. Let your money talk if you don't like them. Irish media is dying a death.

• Advertisement

Don't buy their papers, don't watch their TV, don't support the businesses who advertise with them. Let your money talk if you don't like them. Irish media is dying a death.

Until they need, and will receive government support. They're an important tool for the politicians to use, and they're not going to let a trusted tool be replaced by something that is independent, and lacking the pro-government/political bias.

Lack of consumers isn't going to end Irish media.. I've seen people talking for years about the end of RTE, but it continues to be supported by the State/Taxpayers. We'll see something similar happen for the main newspapers should they ever lose enough market to remain operational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The simple answer is that we can't trust journalists.
    It's all activism and agendas these days. Some are just more open about it than others.

Until they need, and will receive government support. They're an important tool for the politicians to use, and they're not going to let a trusted tool be replaced by something that is independent, and lacking the pro-government/political bias.

Lack of consumers isn't going to end Irish media.. I've seen people talking for years about the end of RTE, but it continues to be supported by the State/Taxpayers. We'll see something similar happen for the main newspapers should they ever lose enough market to remain operational.

Oh ya, they might well receive more funding. FF were recently talking about more funding for newspapers in Ireland.

Long term I don't see most of them surviving, the Irish Times sells about 50k copies a day and has about 20k online subscriptions. So not much over 1% of the population. The Irish examiner which was a staple in most households when I was growing up is now owned by the Times and the only people I know who buy it are the older generation and even then they might only buy it on a Saturday.

I'm not even making a political point in not supporting them, for me I consume my media in different ways and younger generations will probably be even less and less inclined to do so. I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of an Irish newspaper and rarely watch RTE. There's just way more choice out there.

I'm not even making a political point in not supporting them, for me I consume my media in different ways and younger generations will probably be even less and less inclined to do so. I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of an Irish newspaper and rarely watch RTE. There's just way more choice out there.

Sure, although some people are more traditional in their habits, and that includes the younger generations. I know a few people in their 20s who would always get their daily paper, simply because it doesn't cost them much, and is a break from online content. Many people have little interest or trust with regards to online content.. and while the news paper mightn't be much better, for many, the physical aspect of it will provide some reassurance.

They'll limp along.. likely supported by the State, and a small body of supporters who don't want to see that side of Irish business disappear.

TBH I don't pay much attention to any of the news companies. As biko said, they're all agenda driven.

Advertisement