Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance - Government Levy

• 02-04-2021 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I have health insurance for myself, my wife and 2 kids with Irish Life. Policy was renewed on Nov 2019. I was paying it myself as I have been working as a contractor for a few years.

Just got a new job and my employer will pay my health insurance and a portion of the families. Irish Life told me no problem to cancel but I will have to pay the Government levy for the remainder of the policy which is over one thousand euro.

Does anyone know if this is correct ? I will be paying the Government levy on my new policy with VHI so this sounds like a double charge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I’ve no idea but can you ask your employer to allow you expense a portion of Irish Life premium until it expires and then switch to company funded VHI?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Unfortunately not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

450 an adult and 150 a child, pretty sure it states somewhere with Irish Life that when you cancel or change policy the government levy is your cancellation penalty.

EDIT:

Taken from the site

Irish Life Health will provide a 14-day cooling-off period from your renewal date, where you may cancel, get a full refund and switch to an alternative plan or insurer. Irish Life Health will also allow you to switch your plan mid-term to another Irish Life Health plan. However, you cannot switch from Irish Life Health to another insurer mid-term without penalty. You can cancel you policy by phone, email or letter.

The mid-term cancellation charge will consist of the health insurance levy calculated on a pro-rata basis for each adult, student and child on the policy for the remainder of the policy term, together with an administration fee of €25 per policy.

Advertisement