Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is landlord responsible to deal with noisy neighbour?

Options
  • 02-04-2021 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

One of my tenants has asked me to speak to neighbours who play music loudly in their garden during the day. Is this my responsibility?
    The tenant has asked them to turn it down but they continue to do it.
    The neighbours are also tenants but I do not know who their landlord is.
    I have asked my tenant to make a note of all instances and record it.
    If the neighbours refuse to give me their LL details how can I get them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I have a similar issue. In looking into it I see that only the tenant can make a third party complaint to the RTB - the LL cannot. They can apply to the RTB for the neighbour's LL details.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What times of the day are they doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Ricta wrote: »
    One of my tenants has asked me to speak to neighbours who play music loudly in their garden during the day. Is this my responsibility?

Not your issue. They can follow with the landlord themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Simple answer no.
    Complicated answer , still no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I have a similar issue. In looking into it I see that only the tenant can make a third party complaint to the RTB - the LL cannot. They can apply to the RTB for the neighbour's LL details.

Good to know. I thought anyone could take a third party complaint to the rtb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They can do as they like once not at unsociable hours.
    Not up to you to sort.
    They can ask and of its at crazy hours then call the Gardai, it's not your responsibility, only responsibility you have is your own Tennant's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Good to know. I thought anyone could take a third party complaint to the rtb.

So did I. I've got very good tenants in respect of paying and keeping the place well, but they are the very definition of millennial in that they won't go upstairs and tell the gob****e there to keep it down.

I was going to make a third party complaint but I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If the music is during the day, there isn't much that you do about it. They are not breaking any noise laws.
    If they have been asked already to keep it down and aren't, they are assholes. Even if you contact their landlord, what do you expect them to do? All they can do is ask them to keep the music down, but past form is that they won't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Meeoow wrote: »
    Even if you contact their landlord, what do you expect them to do? All they can do is ask them to keep the music down

On receipt of a 3rd party complaint the neighbours own landlord is obligated to give his tenants a warning notice and go on to terminate the tenancy if the behaviour continues.
    A landlord owes to each person who could be affected (for example by antisocial behaviour) a duty to enforce the responsibilities of the tenant(s) in the tenancy. In cases where a landlord fails to enforce a tenant’s responsibilites, a person directly and adversely affected may take a case against the landlord through the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB).

Added: if it's music played at a reasonable level during the day it may not be antisocial behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graham wrote: »
    On receipt of a 3rd party complaint the neighbours own landlord is obligated to give his tenants a warning notice and go on to terminate the tenancy if the behaviour continues.

Without even investigating if the complaint has any basis? Really???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Without even investigating if the complaint has any basis? Really???

No, not really. Hence the caveat at the bottom of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

Thanks for all the inputs.

The only info I have is that the music is played during the day, not at unsociable hours. I haven't heard it myself, not even a recording, so I don't know if it is unreasonably loud. It could be that my tenant is too sensitive and over reacting. I will continue with the tack that my tenant record the noise and take note of occurances, in order that he may show that it is so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times that it gives reasonable cause for annoyance. Then I will advise him to take a third party complaint to the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Keep it friendly. Avoid RTB for now. Find out owners details and contact them directly first.

Use landdirect.ie website. Pay €5 for folio it will name the owner and give their address.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

Keeping it friendly would be a priority all right.

I have a strong feeling that my tenant would not have the commitment to make a complaint to the RTB anyway. If he does gather evidence and shows it to me and if it does not look unreasonable to me, I will tell him so and will advise him he might be wasting his and the RTB's time.

Complaining to me doesn't take much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Keeping it friendly would be a priority all right.

I have a strong feeling that my tenant would not have the commitment to make a complaint to the RTB anyway. If he does gather evidence and shows it to me and if it does not look unreasonable to me, I will tell him so and will advise him he might be wasting his and the RTB's time.

Complaining to me doesn't take much effort.

Meanwhile? Good ear plugs. On the grounds of what cannot be cured must be endured.

Advertisement