Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spalding

• 02-04-2021 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I see a lot of these small garden walls nowadays are rendered - at least I think they are.

Are they not at risk of spalding?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all

I see a lot of these small garden walls nowadays are rendered - at least I think they are.

Forgot pic

Hi all

Forgot pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've looked it up and still no idea what's you are talking about

listermint wrote: »
    I've looked it up and still no idea what's you are talking about

Ha - must’ve either made up a word or have it totally arseways.

When you have flat horizontal rendered surfaces - no capping. And water, cold, freeze, expand and contracts busts all the render off.

How does this not seem to happen on garden walls. My neighbour pointed the issue out to me ( I thought that was the word he said) I see it everywhere now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Spalling—sometimes incorrectly called "spaulding" or "spalding"—is the result of water entering brick, concrete, or natural stone. It forces the surface to peel, pop out, or flake off. It's also known as flaking, especially in limestone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi all

https://www.spalding.com

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Every painted wall is another future weekend ruined.

Spalling—sometimes incorrectly called "spaulding" or "spalding"—is the result of water entering brick, concrete, or natural stone. It forces the surface to peel, pop out, or flake off. It's also known as flaking, especially in limestone.

Ah - thank you. I wasn’t far off at all.

I presume it also applies to render on a flat block wall.

And I presume that all these modern looking garden walls will eventually spall and look awful.

And my final presumption is that they should be capped to prevent this from happening.

Is there anyway that you can render only without it spalling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Ah - thank you. I wasn’t far off at all.

I presume it also applies to render on a flat block wall.

And I presume that all these modern looking garden walls will eventually spall and look awful.

And my final presumption is that they should be capped to prevent this from happening.

Is there anyway that you can render only without it spalling?

I reckon the only way to reduce the "cracking" effect is to
    Plaster the walls without using the preformed angle beads and edges as these create a a hair line point for water to get in behind the plaster.
    Best practice would be to render using reveal laths.

I reckon the only way to reduce the "cracking" effect is to
    Plaster the walls without using the preformed angle beads and edges as these create a a hair line point for water to get in behind the plaster.
    Best practice would be to render using reveal laths.

Very interesting. Now you say it, those walls that I spot in the locale which have spalled all have that beading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement