Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker in the corner, TV elevated high on the wall, no driveway - What are yours?

Options
  • 03-04-2021 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

When viewing property ads on Daft/MyHome, I see cookers positioned strangely in the corner of the kitchen. At an angle as opposed to straight against the wall.

I see TVs attached to the wall at a height like it's the cinema. Why strain your eyes and neck when you can have the TV on a table or stand at relative eye-level?

I can't understand why anyone would have either of the above.

What annoys you when you look at property ads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Sofa's in the kitchen was another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Carpet in the bathroom. Disgusting!

Fake grass in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    When viewing property ads on Daft/MyHome, I see cookers positioned strangely in the corner of the kitchen. At an angle as opposed to straight against the wall.

I see TVs attached to the wall at a height like it's the cinema. Why strain your eyes and neck when you can have the TV on a table or stand at relative eye-level?

I can't understand why anyone would have either of the above.

What annoys you when you look at property ads?

If the cooker was straight against a wall in a corner you wouldn't have room for saucepans with handles and would be very uncomfortable to cook on but yet some small kitchens have this. Probably because nowhere else to put it but personally couldn't deal with it.
    In an L shape, corner hob at 45 degree angle is fine for me though as long as the oven is high-level to the right of it at end with sink and fridge to the left of it, less walking, a good work triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Lots of people have reclining sofas, not much use having a TV on a tv stand while you are lying back with your feet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup, my TV is too high on the wall but thanks to the 1970s layout combined with the size of modern TVs I actually have no other viable option. In truth, the placement has worked out better than expected and we sit a solid 3+m away so no neck issues. I do have a plan to get a smaller fireplace surrounded to shave about 10cm off the height. If we had an old <32" CRT TV it would fit nicely in the corner where the aerial port is but the big flatscreen would block a good 1/4 of the bay window and that's a bigger deal breaker for me.

Now I've seen some new show houses with no fireplaces and the TV up higher than ours with much closer seating. That seems like terrible design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If I'm buying a house, I can move the TV so that doesn't bother me.

I like open plan, for my budget it makes sense, but you'd want a utility room at least for the washing machine.

I like greys, they suit some houses more than magnolia, white can be too harsh and colour in every room can get very busy very quickly.

I can't stand these tiny trendy sinks and sinks on island units. If your going to be using your kitchen you need a sink that is actually functional and isn't an eye sore on your whole room if you've not washed and dried every cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

astroturf baby - gets clotted with water and dust and dirt and then gets dirty from pollution and use and turns sludge grey.

Those plastic and metal ganging and stacking gadgets un bathrooms - usually covered in old crud and rust. Hate them. Throw them out and buy a small cabinet/ slender wall units.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Sofa's in the kitchen was another one.
    Our kitchen/dining has lots of extra space and rather than waste it i made a space with sofa and there's a small telly. It's lovely over the summer because it is beside the doors out to the decking and it gets the sunshine, my living room gets none. It's a bit original I guess but not always a bad idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Massive one off rural houses with huge rooms that are poorly laid out.
    Not a fan of kitchens where there are no units over the counter space but a few sparse open shelves instead. Look grand on Instagram but in reality they get cluttered, dusty and there’s no storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

In terms of choices which would put me off a house, paved or concreted back gardens and fake grass are the biggest turn off for me. Personally I love a kitchen with room for a sofa. Especially if it's at the back of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

No hallways, eg stairs leading up from the living room. Rented a room in a house like that once, wasn't a fan due to TV noise and other ambient noise coming straight up from downstairs.

Bedrooms or bathrooms that are directly off the living room/kitchen. So again, no hallways :)

The current 'everything in shades of grey, including the floors' trend.

Not the hugest fan of completely open-plan downstairs spaces, I think a living room with a door is important so there is somewhere quieter to have a conversation, read a book, watch tv etc. that isn't your bedroom. Hard to do when it's all open-plan and the entire family may be in that one space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Spiral staircases is another one. Hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    No hallways, eg stairs leading up from the living room. Rented a room in a house like that once, wasn't a fan due to TV noise and other ambient noise coming straight up from downstairs.

Bedrooms or bathrooms that are directly off the living room/kitchen. So again, no hallways :)

The current 'everything in shades of grey, including the floors' trend.

Not the hugest fan of completely open-plan downstairs spaces, I think a living room with a door is important so there is somewhere quieter to have a conversation, read a book, watch tv etc. that isn't your bedroom. Hard to do when it's all open-plan and the entire family may be in that one space.

Yup, this thread is great for resurfacing old pain. The only gripe I have about our house is the stairs is in the living room. I notice it's surprisingly common over here and I'm not talking about just cheap houses. Sound and heat travel upstairs, I get into quite a bit of trouble during late night COD games. I wanted (still do) to wall it in but MrsTeal was having none of it and instead mandated that we spend a packet on a new oak stairs to at least make it an attractive feature :(

On the open plan bit, yes I wholeheartedly agree and have ranted fairly recently on a different thread about the very same. I don't mind the whole kitchen/dining/family room all in one thing but I see new houses now don't have a properly separate living room sectioned away from this. The kettle is going non-stop in my house, I would hate to have to hear it when watching the telly.

Advertisement