Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House on street - pros and cons

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think alot of younger people are happy to use bus,luas, electric bikes to travel if they live in an area with public transport.
    Not everyone has to drive a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

marvin80 wrote: »
    We're looking at buying at the moment. We've both lived in estates growing up but we've seen a house that ticks a lot of boxes but it's on a street close to a town centre.

Do people have any pros and cons for houses like this?
    Parking could be an issue because only on-street is available.
    my criteria for house purchase was to avoid houses on a busy street. sometimes you'll find a nice house not on a main street but its backyard is to the main street. i avoided those too.

reason -

road noise and people gawking into your house.
    research says road noise pollution reduces quality of life to people living nearby.
    research also shows that children who studied next to a train track scored less.
    i used to live on a very busy street in another country and our sleep used to get disturbed, during the day on noisy days we would "know" it is a busy day, we would know every cop car chase or ambulance that zipped by, and we would always hesitate about opening the window since we aren't just getting fresh air but also a lot of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No estate management charges.

No estate management company to deal with.

Likely closer to pubs / shops that houses in estates (depends on the town).

Less interraction with the neighbours, typically fewer curtain twitchers around.

Typically no front lawn to worry about.

It will all come down to your need for parking, and the facilities in the town.

Only some estates have management charges and companies.
    Pubs and shops are no further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look for a side street or a cúl de sac That has few passers by,
    I think management charges refer to someone buying an
    apartment very few estates charge management fees
    Walk down the street at 3pm or 5pm on a weekday to check for traffic noise
    Seei if the street has a parking meter
    This means non residents need to buy a ticket if they park a car there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

People have been living in that type of house since the year dot.
    You probably think it would be bad until you live there.
    And then you'll find you'll get used to it like everyone else in history who has lived in such a house :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement