Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It is certainly orchestrated by older types.
    Just goes to show the power they have.
    Same with the nationalist/catholic side.

Ah the old "they're as bad as each other" classic. That canard ran out of steam about a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1379885970103877634

Calling SF the real criminals while referencing a video with criminals in it...she can never resist a shot.

Why wouldn't the PSNI not just run down those scumbags? They'd be well within their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I'd say 80% of the morons font even know what actual fighters fought for for their freedom.....

Scum breed scum unfortunately and crime such as drugs seems to be the main cause of most of any troubles....

Absolutely have no time for drug dealers or those contributing to the cycle.

What fighters fighting for freedom are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,159 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »
    Neale has removed his like from the tweet now, and claimed he liked it "by accident as he scrolled past".

After he took on board all the negative feedback he was recieving.

Finger slip is an awful cross to bear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why wouldn't the PSNI not just run down those scumbags? They'd be well within their rights.

My feeling is that this would only inflame tensions further, and the groups behind this feel more vindicated in their current actions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bambi wrote: »
    Ah the old "they're as bad as each other" classic. That canard ran out of steam about a decade ago.

Right.

What's your alternative?
    Baton the other side into submission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Neale has removed his like from the tweet now, and claimed he liked it "by accident as he scrolled past".

After he took on board all the negative feedback he was recieving.

He wants Ireland to join the commonwealth. He has more in common with the DUP than SF. His true colours liked the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dublin newspapers the same. No one cares about the North.

Unbelievable the silence from RTÉ, the Irish media and FF/FG

Could you imagine if a bus heading to a Protestant area in Belfast was fire bombed by the others? they’d be lining up on Twitter to condemn and blame SF

Neale Richmond is some tool

Let’s face it FF/FG are essentially DUP allies
    Just take a read off his wikipedia page.

1) He has been strongly critical of SF and the Provisional IRA (Fair enough)

2) He's in favour of Ireland re-joining the British commonwealth
    Richmond wears the Irish branch of the British Legions "shamrock remembrance poppy"

3) Richmond stated that he considers that theEaster Lily "has become offensive"

And there's many more like him in FG like John Bruton. Charlie Flanagan etc. Richmonds grandfather was a member of the orange order from Cavan
    https://twitter.com/nealerichmond/status/1067075310598918144?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dublin newspapers the same. No one cares about the North.

Front page of RTE, Indo, Irish Times and the examiner.

IMG-20210407-232435.jpg

• https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1379885970103877634

Calling SF the real criminals while referencing a video with criminals in it...she can never resist a shot.

What a ****in divisive wench. This is unbelievable at a time when both sides need to be united.

Neale Richmond can do one aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Arleen's tweet was not leadership. It’s petty and unhelpful, but sure what else can you expect from the DUP? That’s their default position on absolutely everything.

It’s just stir, stir & stir some more. It’s the same kind of politics engaged in by Trump.

To lead, you need to be able to stand above all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What fighters fighting for freedom are you referring to?

Ireland's independence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Just take a read off his wikipedia page.

1) He has been strongly critical of SF and the Provisional IRA (Fair enough)

2) He's in favour of Ireland re-joining the British commonwealth
    Richmond wears the Irish branch of the British Legions "shamrock remembrance poppy"

3) Richmond stated that he considers that theEaster Lily "has become offensive"

And there's many more like him in FG like John Bruton. Charlie Flanagan etc. Richmonds grandfather was a member of the orange order from Cavan
    https://twitter.com/nealerichmond/status/1067075310598918144?lang=en

He finds the Easter lily offensive yet he's all smiles meeting the orange order which bans Catholics and Protestants who are married to Catholics. I'm not religious but surely that's offensive to every decent person.

Front page of RTE, Indo, Irish Times and the examiner.

IMG-20210407-232435.jpg

Ok so Irish media pretend to care a bit more about it. The picture of a burning bus is also good for the headline.

But ordinary Irish don't give a toss what happens in Belfast. So why would we expect people in Midlands of England to care?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

bilston wrote: »
    Serious escalation tonight.

Up until tonight it was Loyalists v Police

Tonight it has become sectarian.

Dangerous few days lie ahead.

Grim

Hopefully not. The Troubles were well before my time but it's fair to say the vast, vast majority of people inhabiting this country have no interest in it repeating.

Any idea as to how this may escalate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bizarre. They are discussing Arlene's tweet now on the Tonight show and Neale Richmond was allowed leave without being asked why he liked it.

FFS Brady, it was accidentally clicked when scrolling through the feed. I've liked some ****e myself when doing so, even in this site. Untangle the knickers.

Yis'll all have to be verging on living in fantasy if you think that he liked it intentionally to begin with, and have a screw lose to claim it was unliked because of feedback.

Hurrache wrote: »
    FFS Brady, it was accidentally clicked when scrolling through the feed. I've liked some ****e myself when doing so. Untangle the knickers.

Yis'll all have to be verging on living in fantasy if you think that he liked it intentionally to begin with, and have a screw lose to claim it was unliked because of feedback.

Richmond doesn't know what side he's on. He's against the DUP, then against Sinn Fein.. blah blah.

He will say anything to get votes.

One thing is for certain, himself and the rest of FG couldn't care less about the people in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hopefully not. The Troubles were well before my time but it's fair to say the vast, vast majority of people inhabiting this country have no interest in it repeating.

Any idea as to how this may escalate?

I doubt it will go beyond street violence. I just hope no one loses their life in the meantime.

Despite what the pictures suggest the vast vast vast majority of people in NI do not support this carry on.

As someone tweeted the other night after protests in Larne...50 people took part in the protest, while the other 17,950 people who live in Larne stayed in their homes. A couple of hundred people rioting in Belfast might look like a lot of people, just remember two or three hundred thousand people live in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'd worry that if widespread disorder broke out up there, there'd be a lot more people down here radicalised than the 80's. Many people here generally had a more distant experience of Northern Ireland in the days without internet. Something you'd hear about on RTE News once a day, might be a lead story sometimes if a major event happened, but other times briefly touched on.

Now people would get minute by minute, blow by blow accounts on social media, people feeling more immersed in the experience - look at the role social media played in the Arab Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

NI is a mess and I don't know why anyone in the republic would want this mess on our plate.

NI is never going to be right, let both sides piss off and have their own country.

Hurrache wrote: »
    FFS Brady, it was accidentally clicked when scrolling through the feed. I've liked some ****e myself when doing so, even in this site. Untangle the knickers.

Don't buy the finger slip story, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I’d be worried, there is much more acceptance of violence in Belfast than almost anywhere else on earth, it doesn’t take much for it to disintegrate. There’s a tradition of it, many people in their 50s won’t worry about their teenagers being involved to the extent parents in the South or Britain would. I’ve an involvement in a business around the corner from where there was some conflict, but thankfully it’s okay right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

Loyalists running amok up North, meanwhile dissident Republicans are busy fighting for trans rights and trying to relive the Spanish civil war, in which their side lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Where does Sinn Fein's commitment to the peace process stand if Boris decides to placate the loyalists and stick up a land border? Out of interest. Breaks a number of international laws but it's a possibility we can't rule out.

My initial thoughts are I'm grateful they don't have any control over the levers of power down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Some people are obviously too young to remember the nationalists rioting that lasted for weeks 20 or so years ago.

Swings and roundabouts.

Nothing new here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Richmond doesn't know what side he's on. He's against the DUP, then against Sinn Fein.. blah blah.

They aren't mutually exclusive you know.

He's been the face of Irish government criticism of Brexit and the Tories on British TV for quite a while now, and pretty good at it.

• Advertisement

Godot. wrote: »
    Where does Sinn Fein's commitment to the peace process stand if Boris decides to placate the loyalists and stick up a land border? Out of interest. Breaks a number of international laws but it's a possibility we can't rule out.

My initial thoughts are I'm grateful they don't have any control over the levers of power down here.

Frost is over in Brussels copperfastening the Protocol. If it goes the UK are back to the deadlock over the whole deal.
    Not gonna happen with a few petrol bombs.

Advertisement