Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Belfast Disturbances

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Don't buy the finger slip story, sorry.

Don't think anyone takes too much notice of what you buy or don't buy. All that matters to you is how it reflects on SF and you adopt a stance from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd wonder how much of this is down to the UDA bee out if pocket due to increased custom checks on shipments from Britain. It must be costing them a fortune.

• Hurrache wrote: »
    FFS Brady, it was accidentally clicked when scrolling through the feed. I've liked some ****e myself when doing so, even in this site. Untangle the knickers.

Yis'll all have to be verging on living in fantasy if you think that he liked it intentionally to begin with, and have a screw lose to claim it was unliked because of feedback.

You say it as if it's a matter of fact. Big error to be fair from an astute politician.

The optics of it are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,734 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You say it as if it's a matter of fact. Big error to be fair from an astute politician.

The optics of it are terrible.

They'll be telling us next inviting the DUP to their yearly conference was a case of mistaken identity next.
    You scroll past a post of Arlene's read it and accidentally like it ...yeh right.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Frost is over in Brussels copperfastening the Protocol. If it goes the UK are back to the deadlock over the whole deal.
    Not gonna happen with a few petrol bombs.

The British have turned more and more gradually towards flag waving and nationalism ever since the Global Finance Crisis started to bite and the never ending austerity since.

He could thrash the economy with a No Deal Brexit and his support would lap it up for 'sticking it to Brussels' and 'defending British sovereignty'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Neale is a proud Protestant and always had an affinity with Ireland and the First World War stuff because of family history and stuff.

But frankly thats all fluff that none of us have time to indulge in anymore. As far as I'm concerned, if you're an elected representative in this Republic, then your one and only concern is the wellbeing and prosperity of this Republic, including the aspiration to unify the whole island under this Republic.

Neale has represented the Country well in his forthright defence of our stance and approach to Brexit, but as regards this matter at hand, he'd want to get his head on straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭batman75

Foster was well out of order using a volatile situation to have a pop at SF. This is precisely why she is not fit to be head of the assembly. She is a Protestant leader for her Protestant brethren. It is people from her side of the fence causing the riots. I hate Foster with a passion. The only union she should be worried about is within the 6 counties between Catholics and Protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hopefully not. The Troubles were well before my time but it's fair to say the vast, vast majority of people inhabiting this country have no interest in it repeating.

Any idea as to how this may escalate?

By getting worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hurrache wrote: »
    FFS Brady, it was accidentally clicked when scrolling through the feed. I've liked some ****e myself when doing so, even in this site. Untangle the knickers.

Yis'll all have to be verging on living in fantasy if you think that he liked it intentionally to begin with, and have a screw lose to claim it was unliked because of feedback.

I'd say he "accidentally" found himself at those orange parades, where the lads marching past him had Cromwell banners etc. I don't care if Neale is Protestant, Catholic, Hindu or Jew btw, but the optics of what he "accidentally liked" all things considered..... aren't great.

Between "accidentally liking stuff" and bizarre photoshops, maybe twitter's not the best place for Neale.

He liked a photo of himself in which he was mentioned and a colleague attending a parade of another culture on this island which he made no secret of attending
    Its not a photo of our nations flag being burned,I doubt you'll find any oireachtas member liking a photo of that
    I do not see what the fuss is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

AuntySnow wrote: »
    He liked a photo of himself in which he was mentioned and a colleague attending a parade of another culture on this island which he made no secret of attending
    Its not a photo of our nations flag being burned,I doubt you'll find any oireachtas member liking a photo of that
    I do not see what the fuss is there

He's quite entitled to attend "parades of other cultures" on this island, but when that culture is one of hate, division, sectarianism and triumphalism, he shouldn't be surprised when folk are sceptical that he "he accidentally" liked a tweet that came from the leader of a hateful, divisive, sectarian and triumphalist party, and was a hateful, and a divisive tweet.

Seems extremely coincidental that he accidentally scrolled past it and liked it, and didn't condemn it at that stage, the condemnation and the removal of his like came after the condemnation and criticism from people, many of whom decide to vote for him or his party in this jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Hopefully not. The Troubles were well before my time but it's fair to say the vast, vast majority of people inhabiting this country have no interest in it repeating.

Any idea as to how this may escalate?

It’s very fluid.
    It could do anything from fizzle out in weeks to escalate into full blown violent armed conflict that won’t be turned off for years. If the later happens then I feel the south will definitely be pulled in to it as there is extreme anger up hear about how the threat of republican violence was used by Roi to achieve protocol.
    I think it is unlikely to escalate as far as armed inter community conflict - but the problem is if someone gets killed eg last night there was interface violence and known ira and Uvf leaders were photographed on the streets (directing or calming - people will believe what they want).
    A peace wall gate was breached and each side blames the other. If a young person gets caught on the wrong side and murdered then who knows where this goes.

I fear this weekend will be worse.
    A number of protests are being organised. Young people are being invited to attend with faces covered (for covid reasons - a little sarcasm in the invites) with flutes etc. Story funeral has left this next to impossible for police to prevent - or else they are further demonstrating two-tier policing as they helped organise the republican illegal gathering.
    Lisburn looks tricky tonight but Belfast looks downright dangerous the following night. There is a call for a parade from Donegal road into west Belfast. I guess the paraders want to be attacked, and they most surely will. In their heads it will be like a civil rights march being attacked.

So I have know idea where this will all be by July. Could have fizzled our or could be very nasty

Theres no way Richmond accidently liked the post
    People like picture tweets they're tagged in almost by default all the time
    People should really state they changed their mind or thought something wasn't a good idea after the fact
    I dont think avoiding having to accept the culture of who we share the island with is a good idea if we want to unite the island

bilston wrote: »
    The only thing I know for sure is that if you asked the "youths" rioting that they wouldn't have the faintest idea.

More likely drugs related than anything political to be honest. Unfortunately once it becomes sectarian then how or why it started is irrelevant to all involved.

Very patronising prejudice.
    I heard young people interviewed who said they had been at one of the street ‘gatherings’ and they were amazingly articulate and concise. It’s wishful thinking to believe young people in ni are stupid and don’t understand what’s happening

There is a mixture like everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Arlene has alot to answer for this. She has undermined the police force in the North and encited the unionists in thinking that they are the oppressed communities on the island.
    This is a very dangerous woman to be in power. She would rather see northern Ireland burning than it becoming more a part of the republic.
    I thought we would never return to the way it used to be, but i am definitely not sure now.

Their political leaders and people like Nolan have been telling them they are 'angry' for weeks. They are being angry.

Francie is sounding more like a unionist in 1970 every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

downcow wrote: »
    I heard young people interviewed who said they had been at one of the street ‘gatherings’ and they were amazingly articulate and concise. It’s wishful thinking to believe young people in ni are stupid and don’t understand what’s happening

A voxpop from a Belfast Telegraph reporter actually backed up the previous assertion. 12 to 15 year olds on the ground when asked about the Brexit protocol or the other alleged reasons for the riots couldn't give coherent reasons for it, which led the reporter to an assumption that these kids are being directed by people from behind the scenes.

Arlene has alot to answer for this. She has undermined the police force in the North and encited the unionists in thinking that they are the oppressed communities on the island.
    This is a very dangerous woman to be in power. She would rather see northern Ireland burning than it becoming more a part of the republic.
    I thought we would never return to the way it used to be, but i am definitely not sure now.

Just rediculous to blame Arlene. I am far from an Arlene admirer. But to blame someone who was driven from her home as a child, then the ira tried to murder her father, then her school bus was bombed. She still remained moderate enough to support the gfa She is not the bigot that she get painted
    I think blame mainly falls on those who used the threat of violence to put a border through the middle of our nation eg Leo, and of course the shinners for seemingly given permission to have illegal gatherings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

the threat of republican violence was used by Roi to achieve protocol.

Here is the view of someone who considers himself a 'moderate' Unionist.

After all the shit the DUP have pulled for the last half-a-decade, ignoring all the warnings - 'It yous in the south's fault'.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    A voxpop from a Belfast Telegraph reporter actually backed up the previous assertion. 12 to 15 year olds on the ground when asked about the Brexit protocol or the other alleged reasons for the riots couldn't give coherent reasons for it, which led the reporter to an assumption that these kids are being directed by people from behind the scenes.

I don’t expect 12 year olds to give coherent explanations of the protocol. I suppose the 12 year olds in inner city Dublin can give a coherent explanation of it?

It’s very fluid.
    It could do anything from fizzle out in weeks to escalate into full blown violent armed conflict that won’t be turned off for years. If the later happens then I feel the south will definitely be pulled in to it as there is extreme anger up hear about how the threat of republican violence was used by Roi to achieve protocol.
    I think it is unlikely to escalate as far as armed inter community conflict - but the problem is if someone gets killed eg last night there was interface violence and known ira and Uvf leaders were photographed on the streets (directing or calming - people will believe what they want).
    A peace wall gate was breached and each side blames the other. If a young person gets caught on the wrong side and murdered then who knows where this goes.

I fear this weekend will be worse.
    A number of protests are being organised. Young people are being invited to attend with faces covered (for covid reasons - a little sarcasm in the invites) with flutes etc. Story funeral has left this next to impossible for police to prevent - or else they are further demonstrating two-tier policing as they helped organise the republican illegal gathering.
    Lisburn looks tricky tonight but Belfast looks downright dangerous the following night. There is a call for a parade from Donegal road into west Belfast. I guess the paraders want to be attacked, and they most surely will. In their heads it will be like a civil rights march being attacked.

So I have know idea where this will all be by July. Could have fizzled our or could be very nasty

I should have also said that another huge unknown is whether unionism will unite or fragment over these issues.
    I think it is finely balanced and could go either way but I believe the status quo won’t be maintained.
    If I was asked to guess I would say unionism will probably unite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just rediculous to blame Arlene. I am far from an Arlene admirer. But to blame someone who was driven from her home as a child, then the ira tried to murder her father, then her school bus was bombed. She still remained moderate enough to support the gfa She is not the bigot that she get painted
    I think blame mainly falls on those who used the threat of violence to put a border through the middle of our nation eg Leo, and of course the shinners for seemingly given permission to have illegal gatherings

As I said and still stand by it. She would rather see northern Ireland destroyed than unionism lose any hold or power in the north. Very dangerous lady. As she stated in an interview only last week that if there ever becomes a United Ireland she will sell up home and leave. Not ridiculous at all.

I don’t expect 12 year olds to give coherent explanations of the protocol. I suppose the 12 year olds in inner city Dublin can give a coherent explanation of it?

You mentioned young people. The ones throwing the missiles were the ones being interviewed in the 12 to 15 age group. So we can both agree that they're nothing but gurriers being directed by others with ulterior motives.

As I said and still stand by it. She would rather see northern Ireland destroyed than unionism lose any hold or power in the north. Very dangerous lady. As she stated in an interview only last week that if there ever becomes a United Ireland she will sell up home and leave. Not ridiculous at all.

So you believe unionism have a hold on power in the north? Please tell us more?

So you hate her, but you would be annoyed if she sold up and left?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You mentioned young people. The ones throwing the missiles were the ones being interviewed in the 12 to 15 age group. So we can both agree that they're nothing but gurriers being directed by others with ulterior motives.

I had never heard that term, you must come from a different country lol.
    But I did google it, and I absolutely would not apply that label to all those young people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

If they were truly smart they would be at home and stay well away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    He wants Ireland to join the commonwealth. He has more in common with the DUP than SF. His true colours liked the tweet.

Neale Richmond has made no secret of the fact he is a proud protestant and we all have to respect that. He has been the face of FG on European Affairs for a while now and has done a decent job of it. His relatives are in the Orange Order and so be it. A large number of southern protestants would have relatives in the Orange Order and thats a natural follow on.

Whats a big issue today is not a few teenagers throwing an odd petrol bomb at the PSNI. Last night was very sinister, a group of several hundred at the interface between nationalist and unionist communities at the peace gate between Springfield and the Shankhill Road. A car driven at speed, crashed into the gate and was set alight. Grim times ahead now

• Advertisement

I had never heard that term, you must come from a different country lol.
    But I did google it, and I absolutely would not apply that label to all those young people

Guessed myself it wasn't the word 'missile' you had to google, considering the country you're coming from. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Advertisement