Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

downcow wrote: »
    It’s very fluid.
    It could do anything from fizzle out in weeks to escalate into full blown violent armed conflict that won’t be turned off for years. If the later happens then I feel the south will definitely be pulled in to it as there is extreme anger up hear about how the threat of republican violence was used by Roi to achieve protocol.
    I think it is unlikely to escalate as far as armed inter community conflict - but the problem is if someone gets killed eg last night there was interface violence and known ira and Uvf leaders were photographed on the streets (directing or calming - people will believe what they want).
    A peace wall gate was breached and each side blames the other. If a young person gets caught on the wrong side and murdered then who knows where this goes.

I fear this weekend will be worse.
    A number of protests are being organised. Young people are being invited to attend with faces covered (for covid reasons - a little sarcasm in the invites) with flutes etc. Story funeral has left this next to impossible for police to prevent - or else they are further demonstrating two-tier policing as they helped organise the republican illegal gathering.
    Lisburn looks tricky tonight but Belfast looks downright dangerous the following night. There is a call for a parade from Donegal road into west Belfast. I guess the paraders want to be attacked, and they most surely will. In their heads it will be like a civil rights march being attacked.

So I have know idea where this will all be by July. Could have fizzled our or could be very nasty

The most surprising thing about all of this is that it's English nationalism to blame. English nationalism has placed a sea border between them and Britain and yet their leader is now attacking a party that opposed Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So you believe unionism have a hold on power in the north? Please tell us more?

So you hate her, but you would be annoyed if she sold up and left?

Go on stop and read what I'm posting.
    So you're saying unionists and nationalists were always treated the same in the north.

And please show me where I said I would be sorry to see her leave.

Starting to think you might though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The most surprising thing about all of this is that it's English nationalism to blame. English nationalism has placed a sea border between them and Britain and yet their leader is now attacking a party that opposed Brexit.

Nonsense. It was Irish republicanism placed the border in the middle of our nation

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Nonsense. It was Irish republicanism placed the border in the middle of our nation

It was brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Neale Richmond has made no secret of the fact he is a proud protestant and we all have to respect that. He has been the face of FG on European Affairs for a while now and has done a decent job of it. His relatives are in the Orange Order and so be it. A large number of southern protestants would have relatives in the Orange Order and thats a natural follow on.

Whats a big issue today is not a few teenagers throwing an odd petrol bomb at the PSNI. Last night was very sinister, a group of several hundred at the interface between nationalist and unionist communities at the peace gate between Springfield and the Shankhill Road. A car driven at speed, crashed into the gate and was set alight. Grim times ahead now

The OO are equivalent to the KKK. Fcuk Richmond and any other protestant who thinks the OO is a part of their history that should be celebrated. This country is full of apologists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The scrotes causing the trouble as past week or so are protesting against a sea border they're responsible for implementing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I should have also said that another huge unknown is whether unionism will unite or fragment over these issues.
    I think it is finely balanced and could go either way but I believe the status quo won’t be maintained.
    If I was asked to guess I would say unionism will probably unite

Well the DUPs support has been crumbling steadily between the TUV extremists egging on violence on one side and the moderate and sensible Alliance calling for rational heads on the other. I expect that these riots will only further draw support away from the DUP in both of these directions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

N.I. 100 yrs old...and Nationalist areas having fireworks and petrol bombs fired over a peacewall because the D.U.P. got into bed with the Tories and lost again!

It's not 1969 and Bombay street anymore. That Sh1t is over, there is an international agreement signed off by Dublin, London, Washington and Brussels. What exactly does Unionism/Loyalism imagine it is going to achieve when the world can see for itself "the scenes" over the last few days?

It was your PM and elected officials that did that. But accepting that would be like realising your parents never reallly wanted you and your whole birth was just one big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Really? That's who you blame? So Boris and the DUP had nothing to do with it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Irish republicanism did it ey? Irish republicanism voted for brexit? Laid down red lines that all but ensured no deal or a separate customs arrangement for NI? 'twas Irish republicanism that reneged on that deal and created the NI protocol after then, yes?

Give your head a wobble. This is a mess born entirely of English nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Two tweets.

Look at the contrast in support for them.

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1379885970103877634?s=19

https://twitter.com/JoeBrolly1993/status/1379905875163410432?s=19

The DUP are clearly a small but vocal minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,291 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Foster and her ilk are an absolute disgrace. Inciting anarchy..

Talking about upholding the law impartially...

You couldn’t make it up..

Hateful bunch!

The OO are equivalent to the KKK. Fcuk Richmond and any other protestant who thinks the OO is a part of their history that should be celebrated. This country is full of apologists.

Thanks for that eloquent contribution.
    That is basically ‘fcuk all Protestants’. I don’t know a single Protestant who does not have family members connected to the OO.
    This would be like someone saying ‘fcuk all Catholics who think the GAA is part of their culture’
    Disgusting sectarianism!

twinytwo wrote: »
    Really? That's who you blame? So Boris and the DUP had nothing to do with it at all?

Boris was dishonest. The dup sleptwalked into it.
    I did not vote for brexit, but I am a democrat and my nation did.
    It was the Irish protocol which has created the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Peelers need to get out of their wagons and dish out a little rough justice on these thugs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Right.

What's your alternative?
    Baton the other side into submission?

The first step would be to admit that using "both sides are as bad as each other" as an excuse not to address the problem is not acceptable.

You with me on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Peelers need to get out of their wagons and dish out a little rough justice on these thugs

Not going to happen. Seen a crowd at the front of a land rover last night throwing a pallet.
    Don't think another section of the community would get as close without being severely dealt with.

Bambi wrote: »
    The first step would be to admit that using "both sides are as bad as each other" as an excuse not to address the problem is not acceptable.

You with me on that?

The psni were on radio Ulster just now. They say there were equal numbers on both sides of the peace wall and both groups were there from 5pm. Both groups rained petrol bombs etc on each other.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Northern Irish protocol was the only way that a Brexit could proceed. The DUP had scuppered any alternative. It was agreed with and ratified by Westminster. Ireland had little to do with it.
    Brexit, how it started and proceeded is owned completely by the UK government and the DUP in NI. Nobody else created this. The DUP and the UK government were warned of their actions yet continued ahead without a care for anyone who disagreed.
    The British government still haven't completed all they agreed to under the NIP and then you have the DUP blame the government of Ireland and whoever else they can think of except those responsible.
    Please stop with your fake offence and disingenuous postings. It is utterly transparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭Enzokk

An agreement reached by the head of your country who was voted in by your nation. Stop deflecting blame here, it lies squarely at the UK Government. The EU did not force Brexit on the UK, the EU did not force the WA and NIP on the UK, they signed up to it after years of negotiation. We told you and the UK you cannot make Brexit work without compromises, but democracy. Now the piper has come to be paid.

People in NI need to accept their lot, they have been voting in the DUP for a long time and this is their reward. They have left the EU against the wishes of the majority in NI. They have been forced to be apart from the UK because the DUP voted against the deal that May negotiated that would have avoided this. Amazing that this needs to be remembered and the attempt to shift blame to others need to be stopped.

I mean you cannot say NI should Brexit because the whole of the UK voted to leave, and then when the whole of the UK vote for Johnson and his deal and the NIP, you become angry about democracy. That is silly, and probably the reason why 15 year olds are rioting. At that age you should be playing with yourself at home, not causing riots on things you don't have a clue of, but this is where NI is at the moment.

Thanks for that eloquent contribution.
    That is basically ‘fcuk all Protestants’. I don’t know a single Protestant who does not have family members connected to the OO.
    This would be like someone saying ‘fcuk all Catholics who think the GAA is part of their culture’
    Disgusting sectarianism!

I think the fact you don't know a single protestant not connected to a vile sectarian organisation is your problem.

You should get out from under your insular blanket once in a while and go see the world. Experience different things.

Enjoy something more than hate and fear and who knows you might broaden your mind and social circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

As a democrat you'll accept the protocol agreement as ratified by your PM then?

Threat of republican violence created the "Irish" protocol. Actual loyalist violence seen as a way to not implement the "Irish" protocol. So original argument that violence would be rewarded is now a case of violence will probably be rewarded...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

Arlene is now saying she will meet with Simon Byrne today..IMO it's just optic's..

she will be back to spewing hate and blaming PSNI moments after meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

interesting whoever was on radio 1 this morning was saying the reason the prosecutions couldnt go ahead is because the PSNI had assisted in organising the funeral of bobby storey (im assuming with security etc.) but as it was effectively sanctioned by the PSNI prosecutions couldnt go ahead.

then obviously the DUP go and stir up the hate. then various factions try and gain advantage.

no idea whats true in any of that as with most things in the north you only get a partial story on any situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

So your Prime Minister lied to you, and your elected officials were too incompetent to see it coming.

But let's blame the Republic of Ireland instead.

The UK Govt don't give a damn about NI. It is an inconvenience for them and it was used as a pawn for Brexit.

The Northern Irish protocol was the only way that a Brexit could proceed. The DUP had scuppered any alternative. It was agreed with and ratified by Westminster. Ireland had little to do with it.
    Brexit, how it started and proceeded is owned completely by the UK government and the DUP in NI. Nobody else created this. The DUP and the UK government were warned of their actions yet continued ahead without a care for anyone who disagreed.
    The British government still haven't completed all they agreed to under the NIP and then you have the DUP blame the government of Ireland and whoever else they can think of except those responsible.
    Please stop with your fake offence and disingenuous postings. It is utterly transparent.

You are being disingenuous and we are getting off topic.
    If the dup had all stayed home the UK would still have voted for brexit.
    Brexit was never a halfway house on the referendum. To have integrity with the voters it needed to be brexit.
    At no time on the referendum was there a suggestion that the UK would not be acting as one.
    The Eu and Roi wanted to keep brexit as soft as possible and the Eu wanted to punish the UK. Up comes the wonderful idea of playing on the threat of trouble in Ireland and playing fast and lose with the gfa
    Well now we have trouble in Ireland and I am concerned how we get the genie back in the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'd say he "accidentally" found himself at those orange parades, where the lads marching past him had Cromwell banners etc. I don't care if Neale is Protestant, Catholic, Hindu or Jew btw, but the optics of what he "accidentally liked" all things considered..... aren't great.

Between "accidentally liking stuff" and bizarre photoshops, maybe twitter's not the best place for Neale.

People are almighty touchy and seemed to have just discovered Neale. A cursory glance of his twitter will see where he stands on what's happening up there and his opinions on the DUP.

But hey, sure run with the twitter mobs who at best, jump to bizarre conclusions.

Enzokk wrote: »
    An agreement reached by the head of your country who was voted in by your nation. Stop deflecting blame here, it lies squarely at the UK Government. The EU did not force Brexit on the UK, the EU did not force the WA and NIP on the UK, they signed up to it after years of negotiation. We told you and the UK you cannot make Brexit work without compromises, but democracy. Now the piper has come to be paid.

People in NI need to accept their lot, they have been voting in the DUP for a long time and this is their reward. They have left the EU against the wishes of the majority in NI. They have been forced to be apart from the UK because the DUP voted against the deal that May negotiated that would have avoided this. Amazing that this needs to be remembered and the attempt to shift blame to others need to be stopped.

I mean you cannot say NI should Brexit because the whole of the UK voted to leave, and then when the whole of the UK vote for Johnson and his deal and the NIP, you become angry about democracy. That is silly, and probably the reason why 15 year olds are rioting. At that age you should be playing with yourself at home, not causing riots on things you don't have a clue of, but this is where NI is at the moment.

There was a referendum for the whole of the UK to leave together. Ni people absolutely have the right to challenge their PM when he failed to enact that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It is the "Northern Ireland protocol" and it is an international agreement between the UK govt (which includes NI) and the EU.

Advertisement