Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Granadino wrote: »
    As a democrat you'll accept the protocol agreement as ratified by your PM then?

Threat of republican violence created the "Irish" protocol. Actual loyalist violence seen as a way to not implement the "Irish" protocol. So original argument that violence would be rewarded is now a case of violence will probably be rewarded...

I don’t have to accept everything that is ratified by my PM. If he brought back the death penalty I would campaign against it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

To give Arlene her dues. You simply can't scroll past any of her tweets these days. So scrolling past and accidentally liking it? Richmond is talking bo***x.

But to also give him his dues I'd imagine he wasn't condoning her message that attending a large gathering is the real unlawful act compared to rioting. He saw a pop at SF and jumped on. Nothing more to it.

interesting whoever was on radio 1 this morning was saying the reason the prosecutions couldnt go ahead is because the PSNI had assisted in organising the funeral of bobby storey (im assuming with security etc.) but as it was effectively sanctioned by the PSNI prosecutions couldnt go ahead.

then obviously the DUP go and stir up the hate. then various factions try and gain advantage.

no idea whats true in any of that as with most things in the north you only get a partial story on any situation
    That’s exactly the issue and why the calls for chief con to resign. Sf give them their plan and not once did psni say there was a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

downcow wrote: »
    Nonsense. It was Irish republicanism placed the border in the middle of our nation

Go out and burn some cars and buses. Seems to the loyalist way when they don't want to deal with the reality of who got them to where they are.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    So your Prime Minister lied to you, and your elected officials were too incompetent to see it coming.

But let's blame the Republic of Ireland instead.

The UK Govt don't give a damn about NI. It is an inconvenience for them and it was used as a pawn for Brexit.
    I agree with all that, but you forgot about the bit about ROI using threat violence to get the protocol. That may come back to bite them on the bum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I agree with all that, but you forgot about the bit about ROI using threat violence to get the protocol. That may come back to bite them on the bum

Can you give me some links to the ROI using the threat of violence please? Genuinely.

Did they threaten to invade the North?

It would be pretty amusing to see your posts echo the playbooks of many commentators and media if it wasn't so serious in that they can't face up to reality meaning NI is going to be in the ****ter for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As I said and still stand by it. She would rather see northern Ireland destroyed than unionism lose any hold or power in the north. Very dangerous lady. As she stated in an interview only last week that if there ever becomes a United Ireland she will sell up home and leave. Not ridiculous at all.

Arlene is going to leave if she loses and a UI is achieved. She doesn't care (like Boris) if she leaves it burning behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hurrache wrote: »
    People are almighty touchy and seemed to have just discovered Neale. A cursory glance of his twitter will see where he stands on what's happening up there and his opinions on the DUP.

But hey, sure run with the twitter mobs who at best, jump to bizarre conclusions.

You seem to think I only heard of Neale the day before yesterday, I've no trunk with the man at all, I know he's a proud protestant, and more power to him.

I'm simply pointing out that with his history on social media, the commonwealth aspirations etc, I don't quite buy into the craic that he "accidentally liked" Arlene's tweet.

He accidentally liked it as he scrolled by it, but didn't think to comment on it either way until the backlash started.

I suspect he just couldn't help endorsing a pop at the shinners. Took him a while for the realisation of what he liked to sink in. (Following the backlash)

There's history there to justify the suspicions tbh.

He probably wasn't aware. I'm not his friend nor I don't/can't vote for him so no truck in the debate either. But I've seen plenty of similar occurrences of people liking what I'd have though was bizarre **** and when I ask, they go oh feic, didn't realise it. I've done it myself.

IMO it's an off the wall idea that he done it purposely to get a dig in at SF and then backtracked when he started getting abuse about it. He's no wallflower and well able to stand up for his convictions if he had done it purposely.

• Advertisement

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Can you give me some links to the ROI using the threat of violence please? Genuinely.

Did they threaten to invade the North?

No they were not for invading themselves, rather they regularly raised the threat of republican violence eg Leo taking a picture of bombed border posts to an Eu dinner. Do you need the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

walshb wrote: »
    Hateful bunch!

This is the heart of the matter. How dare you stand in our way, if we want a British border between your people in Ireland then shut your mouths and know your place.

Pure hatred of the fact that they live in Ireland amongst the Irish and are losing their majority and ultimately losing control of the north whether there is British jurisdiction or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

You have to laugh at those who believe Richmond liked that tweet by accident. The kind of people who’d believe anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Ridiculous carry on from Arlene Foster. Meets with paramilitaries, condemns violence orchestrated by paramilitaries and then by refusing to meet with with or acknowledge the PSNI leader negates all of the condemnations previously issued. She is absolutely complicit in perpetuating the violence.

Can we please stop trying to tell downcow he's wrong? It's incredibly satisfying that he thinks Ireland are responsible for putting a border in the UK. All we should be doing is reinforcing that notion.

Hurrache wrote: »
    He probably wasn't aware. I'm not his friend nor I don't/can't vote for him so no truck in the debate either. But I've seen plenty of similar occurrences of people liking what I'd have though was bizarre **** and when I ask, they go oh feic, didn't realise it. I've done it myself.

IMO it's an off the wall idea that he done it purposely to get a dig in at SF and then backtracked when he started getting abuse about it. He's no wallflower and well able to stand up for his convictions if he had done it purposely.

Ok, we get that sometimes it happens accidently, but it also sometimes happens that people like something and later think better of it and delete it and then pretend it was a mistake.

Take your pick on what happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

They'd want to get this under control fairly lively. July 12th isn't a million miles away. It's going to be a tense one at best.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are being disingenuous and we are getting off topic.
    erm, I'm not actually. My post was based on facts, something yours are fairly light on.
    If the dup had all stayed home the UK would still have voted for brexit.
    Given that the DUP used covert funds to support Brexit in London, tour point is moot. The DUP actively supported Brexit in the UK and Westminster despite knowing that the majority of their constituents were against it. They were needed by May's government to get Brexit through. As the Brexit referendum was only an advisory one, it could be argued that it may not have gone ahead had it not been for the DUP.
    Regardless, it was the DUP that opposed to the UK remaining within the Customs Union which has led to the border nown the Irish sea. As I said, no other form of Brexit was possible for the English to achieve. The DUP followed a path of harm for Northern Ireland.
    Brexit was never a halfway house on the referendum. To have integrity with the voters it needed to be brexit.
    So you follow selective democracy?
    Brexit which was rejected by 2 of 4 constituent countries of the UK is ok but it's outcome as agreed and ratified by the UK government is not ok?
    At no time on the referendum was there a suggestion that the UK would not be acting as one.
    Honestly, at no point was anything discussed in earnest by the UK. Those in charge championed dreamy worlds where the UK would be the rule maker and everyone else would be a subservient rule taker. Brexit was never clarified. Those who tried to make claims of any pending issues were labelled as Project Fear and going against the will of the people.
    The Eu and Roi wanted to keep brexit as soft as possible and the Eu wanted to punish the UK. Up comes the wonderful idea of playing on the threat of trouble in Ireland and playing fast and lose with the gfa
    Firstly the ROI is the EU. Don't treat them as different beings.
    The EU was against Brexit because it was never going to have a good outcome. There would never be many benefits except through corruption.
    We had this conversation many times before and you still peddle this nonsense.
    Well now we have trouble in Ireland and I am concerned how we get the genie back in the bottle.
    No there is trouble in NI which you as a unionist should know that it is the UK.
    Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No they were not for invading themselves, rather they regularly raised the threat of republican violence eg Leo taking a picture of bombed border posts to an Eu dinner. Do you need the link?

I cant even with this post... there is so much idiocy and wanton ignorance......

• Unionist Logic. Blame Ireland and the EU instead of an indifferent Conservative party who really could not give a fiddlers about NI and a sleeping on the job DUP.

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. It would be much better for the disenfranchised to begin to accept reunification as a possibility in their best interests. I for one would welcome it and hope we live in peace and prosper together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Nonsense. It was Irish republicanism placed the border in the middle of our nation

Actually Irish republicanism opposed Brexit.

TP_CM wrote: »
    They'd want to get this under control fairly lively. July 12th isn't a million miles away. It's going to be a tense one at best.

Loyalists riot every summer somewhere in the north and carry on with the taunting at bonfires etc. Costs a fortune to clean-up after them and to police. It is just starting early this year.
    This will go on all summer sadly. People will find it harder to escape to the south to avoid though because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

John Bruton was once (unfairly) called a neo-Unionist. You can probably drop the 'neo' bit with with the present FFG crew. The inept van der Leyden (kicked up stairs to the EU from the Merkel cabinet as she's no good as we're finding out) has no more abject simp than the Michéal Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Loyalists riot every summer somewhere in the north and carry on with the taunting at bonfires etc. Costs a fortune to clean-up after them and to police. It is just starting early this year.

There's no link between the current disturbances, and any that may happen on the 12th of July. So they shouldn't be discussed in the same thread.

John Bruton was once (unfairly) called a neo-Unionist. You can probably drop the 'neo' bit with with the FFG crew.

FFG - means everything else in the post can be ignored.

Effects wrote: »
    There's no link between the current disturbances, and any that may happen on the 12th of July. So they shouldn't be discussed in the same thread.

Apart from the fact they are the same people. :rolleyes:

joe40 wrote: »
    It is the "Northern Ireland protocol" and it is an international agreement between the UK govt (which includes NI) and the EU.
    https://ec.europa.eu/info/relations-united-kingdom/eu-uk-withdrawal-agreement/protocol-ireland-and-northern-ireland_en
    It is the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland

Boris was dishonest. The dup sleptwalked into it.
    I did not vote for brexit, but I am a democrat and my nation did.
    It was the Irish protocol which has created the problem

Absolutely amazing that you can hold this sort of double thinking. Unionists are at pains to say that Brexit has nothing to do with Ireland while simultaneously blaming Ireland for the consequences of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The DUP and UUP have been fanning these flames for 5 years. They know the writing is on the wall for their majority in NI and it must be a very uncomfortable place to be in.

• Advertisement

The DUP and UUP have been fanning these flames for 5 years. They know the writing is on the wall for their majority in NI and it must be a very uncomfortable place to be in.

Indeed. Imagine the mentality of the person who wrote a tweet calling for calm amongst your supporters while simultaneously fanning the flames of hatred by naming an opposing party.

Advertisement