Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Makes me wonder why on earth any in the Republic would vote of a United Ireland, unite with this S****.

Arlene Fosters half hearted call for calm is shocking, Sammy Wilson on the Today Show making the usual fool of himself.

Apparently these thugs are Bored, god bless them, meanwhile loyalist looking for the Chief constable to resign for an unrelated matter. Loyalist wanted Brexit, now kicking up a fuss over its impacts. Boris doesn't give a damn, has he even commented on the disturbances? Truth be known, the Brits would love to see the back of the 6 counties.

An absolute basket case of a place

A United Ireland would hopefully remove these bigots from power.

Any transfer of power should ideally take at least 20 years. Give the old guard time to die out and let the younger generation come to terms with life in the Republic. Slowly, slowly change things, the opposite strategy from Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Any transfer of power should ideally take at least 20 years. Give the old guard time to die out and let the younger generation come to terms with life in the Republic. Slowly, slowly change things, the opposite strategy from Brexit.

after a civil war

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

after a civil war

Civil war would be a stretch. Population wise unionists just wouldn't have the ability to mount much of an offence.

The IRA had half the north's population and all of the republics backing them and a big juicy American teat to feed off as well.

A more apt comparison would be Cornwall mounting an armed struggle for independence from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Can you give me some links to the ROI using the threat of violence please? Genuinely.

Did they threaten to invade the North?

Or did they meet with the IRA? Like Arlene met with the UVF, UDA and 'Red Hand Commando'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Padre_Pio wrote: »

The little scrotes chucking petrol bombs werent even born when the GFA was signed so good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

downcow wrote: »
    Where did she say she wouldn’t meet psni leader. That’s Nolan nonsense

She stated it on the rte news one night this week. She said she had no faith in him and would not be meeting him and would only accept his resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The Loyalist gun runners and drug gangs won't rest until they have control of the ports back in their hands so they can ensure their supply lines.
    Thats all this racket is about, and Arlene Foster is either very foolish or is letting this play out to justify her bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

It's somewhat amusing to hear Blanch and others begrudge the desire for a UI during these riots.
    These riots have nothing to do with a UI.
    Citing such is basically a wind up.

There is another solution here that nobody has proposed.
    And to be sure: i'm doing this tongue in cheek.

RoI could just exit the EU single market and join a common market with the UK.
    Problem solved, AND the quest for a UI remains.

Should we acquiesce to unionist violence by exiting the EU so they can stop rioting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Penfailed wrote: »
    She left the UUP because of David Trimble's support for the GFA. To say she remained moderate enough to support the GFA is patently nonsense.

If my memory serves me correctly she stayed for several years after gfa and assisted with its implementation. Donaldson left the day it was signed and that was over release of terrorists

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

schmittel wrote:
    Something tells me that a) the Brits don't give a damn if angry loyalists burn up Northern Ireland and b) that doesn't matter anyway, because we down South are the intended audience

schmittel wrote:
    When I saw a bus had been hijacked and burnt out, I checked the Sky news website. No mention of it. But you can read a story about an

Unbelievable the silence from RTÉ, the Irish media and FF/FG

Dublin newspapers the same. No one cares about the North.

The reason there isn't huge media coverage is that this isn't news. It's business as usual for the North going back decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Or did they meet with the IRA? Like Arlene met with the UVF, UDA and 'Red Hand Commando'.

Seeing as half her party are members of at least one of these groups meeting them is kind of unavoidable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

One thing I've noticed in Belfast and the North in general is the amount of youth clubs/centers. Literally dozens just in Belfast.

Is this because of the troubles? They were set up to promote integration and cross community activities maybe.

Also lots of community centers. I've heard that lots of former paramilitaries now work as community workers.
    Also that NI has a bloated public sector with 30% employees whereas 20% is the average

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If my memory serves me correctly she stayed for several years after gfa and assisted with its implementation. Donaldson left the day it was signed and that was over release of terrorists

So now wee Jeffrey will be set to leave the DUP after the leadership liaised with loyalists paramilitaries in the LCC a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

She stated it on the rte news one night this week. She said she had no faith in him and would not be meeting him and would only accept his resignation.

I simply don’t believe that so you may evidence it with a link or the actual words?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wrong.
    Former Ulster Unionist MP Jeffrey Donaldson today confirmed he was officially defecting to the Rev Ian Paisley's anti-agreement Democratic Unionist party.

Two other dissident former UUP MLAs, Arlene Foster and Norah Beare, will join him, making the DUP now the biggest unionist party both at Stormont and at Westminster.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2004/jan/05/northernireland.devolution

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bambi wrote: »
    The little scrotes chucking petrol bombs werent even born when the GFA was signed so good luck with that.

The next generation of scum are being schooled by the present.
    I'd rather unite with some other failed state, Somalia perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

NI is a failed state. A complete ****show.

It's always "loyalists are to blame" or "republicans are to blame" and neither side ever think they're wrong.

Guess what, there were republicans out rioting and throwing missiles last night too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I simply don’t believe that so you may evidence it with a link or the actual words?

I remember thinking at the time that she has intention of trying to calm the situation.
    I am not really sure how to paste links onto boards.
    What makes you think this wasn't her actual words.

And finally I don't really care if you believe it or not

This is a pretty good summation from Patrick Kielty in Sept. 2018.

https://twitter.com/PatricKielty/status/1045782711816708096?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Pussyhands wrote: »
    NI is a failed state. A complete ****show.

It's always "loyalists are to blame" or "republicans are to blame" and neither side ever think they're wrong.

Guess what, there were republicans out rioting and throwing missiles last night too!

Thrown up a bit of evidence there like a good man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Granadino wrote:
    They're (SF) banging on about "accommodating" loyalists in any "new Ireland". I'm sure some unionists would be ok in a united Ireland under certain conditions, but there are a certain number who will never be accommodated or don't want to be (Gregory Campbell for example on Claire Byrne summed it up a few weeks ago), and I don't know what the solution is. The island of Ireland is their home as well, so what do you do? Pay them to move across the water, which is wrong, or what?

The irony is that a million unionists would have a lot of power in a United Ireland Dail. Unlike now where they get tossed aside by the Tories, they'd likely become power brokers needed for every coalition government here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Penfailed

blanch152 wrote: »
    A very good reason to reject a united Ireland.

No it's not.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

The irony is that a million unionists would have a lot of power in a United Ireland Dail. Unlike now where they get tossed aside by the Tories, they'd likely become power brokers needed for every coalition government here.

Has anyone considered unionists might not be remotely interested in coming into a UI Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Penfailed wrote: »
    No it's not.

oh yes it is

Seeing as half her party are members of at least one of these groups meeting them is kind of unavoidable

She also managed to have these paramilitary groups repudiate the GFA, something which they previously supported as part of the GFA.

Meanwhile, colleagues like Sammy have been talking about guerilla warfare etc.

She has therefore completely destabilised NI and given tacit support to these thugs to now run amok, while refusing to meet with the Chief Constable.

Crowds at the ill advised funeral were comparable to the ill advised celebrations following Rangers League victory.

She is ignoring the writing on the wall RE: a border poll - brought forward by her and her DUP colleagues incompetence - and has suggested she would even leave the country in the event of a vote for reunification. Leadership.

The NI Protocol is a result of her support for the clearly disingenuous and untrustworthy Tories, and as a result of her campaigning for Johnsons Brexit, and voting for it.

The DUP are again not happy, just as they weren't happy with May's original deal, which would have avoided a border.

Following Johnsons threat to break international law, the The DUP have ordered infrastructure needed for the operation of the NI Protocol to be suspended, despite this being the best solution possible for Northern Ireland in a Brexit she wanted and agreed to.

It's Sinn Fein's fault, it's Ireland's fault, it's the EU.

She is now trying to play politics with violence in the North to get what she wants. Disgraceful behaviour.

Has anyone considered unionists might not be remotely interested in coming into a UI Dail?

Many may not, but it was agreed in the GFA that the majority will decide.

Many also did not want the island to be partitioned in the first instance.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Many also did not want the island to be partitioned in the first instance.

Neither did they want to be part of a 32 county Free State. Partition was a least worst option.

Neither did they want to be part of a 32 county Free State. Partition was a least worst option.

You will have your vote, and they will have a vote in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

The day after a successful UI vote means that the British Government, it's security services, the PSNI, the Irish Government and Gardai, SF and all the Republican groups are all on the same side.

The loyalists will have basically nobody on their side except from some outlier unionist politicians and while they might riot for a week or so, they have no future and will whither on the vine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SF have abstained from Westminster for 100 years. What is your point?

Unionists can choose what they want to do themselves. Some would say SF's abstentionism is damaging others would say it makes no difference and others would say it is a good thing.

Advertisement