Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Never forget, the DUP have history in using/manipulating loyalist terrorist organisations to further their own agenda. They even tried to envelope some of them on more than one occasion. In 1981 they set up a paramilitary organisation called the Third Force, where Paisley marched thousands of men up various hillsides all over the North, waving their firearms certificates in the air.

In 1985, in an attempt to threaten/bully The Anglo Irish Agreement out of existence, they set up the Ulster Resistance Movement.I could go on - Peter Robinson's "invasion" of Clontibret etc, but the point stands - they will court violent loyalists and then dump them when it suits. Unfortunately, the loyalists fall for the DUP's bull**** every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

6 wrote: »
    Off topic slightly, but with the baptism barrier now gone the Catholic stranglehold on religion in Ireland will fall off a cliff. Census's in the not so distant future will reflect this. A lot of kids growing up now as non religious.

You might be underestimating the power of a first communion day out. On the last first communion day out that I attended, there were as many kids from the local educate together as one of the other catholic primary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I’ll get hate, but I’d love to saw that part of the island off and let it sink into the abyss. Protestant, Catholic it doesn’t matter. All as bad as each other, even the accent is offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

nocoverart wrote: »
    I’ll get hate, but I’d love to saw that part of the island off and let it sink into the abyss. Protestant, Catholic it doesn’t matter. All as bad as each other, even the accent is offensive.

If you can make that happen I think you'd actually get a lot of love.

To steal a line I read earlier today "I'd give you a Frenchy even if you had covid"...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Never forget, the DUP have history in using/manipulating loyalist terrorist organisations to further their own agenda. They even tried to envelope some of them on more than one occasion. In 1981 they set up a paramilitary organisation called the Third Force, where Paisley marched thousands of men up various hillsides all over the North, waving their firearms certificates in the air.

In 1985, in an attempt to threaten/bully The Anglo Irish Agreement out of existence, they set up the Ulster Resistance Movement.I could go on - Peter Robinson's "invasion" of Clontibret etc, but the point stands - they will court violent loyalists and then dump them when it suits. Unfortunately, the loyalists fall for the DUP's bull**** every time.

74 union strikes too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Your post is offensive and highly ignorant.

If you can make that happen I think you'd actually get a lot of love.

To steal a line I read earlier today "I'd give you a Frenchy even if you had covid"...

I remember a gif Americans had of sawing off Florida (all in good humor of course) I’d love someone more savvy than me do the same with NI. In all seriousness though, it’s sad what goes on up there. Same island but feels like a different world at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

A lot of Jobs in Belfast and people probably don't want to move away from friends and families where they grew up.

Not just there to be a nationalist or Loyalist for the sake of it.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Your post is offensive and highly ignorant.

More in jest than anything. Sorry if I offended you though... seems to be a theme in certain parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Had a scan of the daily mail uk comments on related articles.

Gas stuff, all to be blamed on the EU and republicans wanting to destabilise the UK and cause a untied Ireland.

Gotta love it really.

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    If the plantations happened in your county instead of the North you might be of a different opinion. So patriotic.

Life is way too short for clinging onto history. We probably only get one shot at this so move on and get along. The Universe and this Planet for that matter doesn't care about a regions petty squabbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Life is way too short for clinging onto history. We probably only get one shot at this so move on and get along. The Universe and this Planet for that matter doesn't care about a regions petty squabbles.

You're making zero sense. You said you'd love to saw off the north and let it sink in to the abyss. I pointed out to you that you may be of a different opinion if plantations had happened where you live instead , implying you might not be so keen to sink in to the abyss then. And you'd be ruled from London while the rest of the country is free of British rule, maybe that wouldn't bother you and thats fair enough but I'm as Irish as you. You went from sawing the country in half to some hippy spiel inside 2 comments. Multiple personality disorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

in the days where we have super cctv cameras, is it not possible to zoom in and record these groups at close range and the next day go and arrest them? if some of them turn out to be 12 and 13 year olds then arrest there parents for allowing there scum to take part in this flame throwing riots

a 10 year stretch sentence might be enough to get there attention? i personally dont care about religion or what groups they call themselvs, ira, nationalists, sinn fein , prodastands

looking at the news - its showing the crowds involved have to respect for the law, or other persons well been

lock them all up, build bigger prisons , throw away the key if needs be, there is innocent people up there scared out of there mind caught up in all this, imagine trying to go to work and put food on your table and bring up a young family and give them the best possibilities in life, and then have to withness this carry on down the road,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Had a scan of the daily mail uk comments on related articles.

Gas stuff, all to be blamed on the EU and republicans wanting to destabilise the UK and cause a untied Ireland.

Gotta love it really.

Just saw that Ruth Dudley Edwards article on there. I thought it was a Waterford Whispers article. No joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Sea border is slowing the flow of Loyalist drugs, this is criminality dressed up as political unrest, heroin keeps the Free Presbyterian collection plates full

I am not sure if you are trolling or trying to be series. Both comments are just absurd.

A good starting point for this thread discussion would be for us all to challenge nonsense on here from whichever side it comes

When you apologise for something it is pretty much implied that you accept you did something wrong.

They apologised for any hurt the funeral caused.
    They have been asked time and again a number of quest they will not answer.
    Are you sorry for going to the funeral?
    Do you accept it was against health advice to attend?
    Would you do same again?
    Etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

downcow wrote: »
    A good starting point for this thread discussion would be for us all to challenge nonsense on here from whichever side it comes

Bit rich coming from you after the content of your posts yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'd say it's going to be a protracted stale mate bull**** for the foreseeable. It's an intractable problem now.
    If the extreme elements keep kicking up a fuss the British government is left with two options. Keep the Irish Sea border or reactivate the Northern Irish border.

I think the former is easier to control and the lesser of two evils. I think it's fairly clear at this stage that the UK just wants shot of Northern Ireland in the medium term and extricate itself from the border that isn't a border ****show.

In 10 years we could see a push for a border poll or the UK just relinquishing it. That would pose a massive problem for Dublin as there would be a significant insurgency. Ireland would want to prepare for this eventuality as it may be foisted on them. Majority of Unionist community would be unhappy at this outcome but wouldn't necessarily take up arms. The irreconcilables will be the problem.

End of the world stuff but it if they get this pissed off a trade checks then who knows.

I'd say more likely scenario is Unionism will cop on that temper tantrums will push them further away from UK and there will be a concerted effort to crack down on the criminal elements leading the youth astray.

Leaving the lovely segregated stalemate we have today for the foreseeable. Until kids are educated together the bigotry will be passed from one generation to the next on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

McMurphy wrote: »
    Sums up exactly what I've been asking for years ref a "threat of violence" from unionists in any UI.

What, they're going to attack us because the Brits withdrew because of a democratic vote and international agreement?

What will their aim be, to make a united Irish govt withdraw? To where?

Will they attack HMG and security services in the perceived hope of reinvading, and partitioning the isle again?

Fcuk sake, the dopes voted for what they have now, they were paramount in cheerleading Brexit, and despite everyone and their dogs warning they'd be shafted by Boris and co, they championed it anyway.

Now they're kicking up a fuss about it because the Brits left them swinging?

Eejits.

The Brits, the Brits, the Brits ....

They (the Unionist/Loyalist population) are the Brits, and they ain't leaving anytime soon, and apparently we are going to unite with them shortly and create a United Ireland :cool:

So, after 400+ years we should accept that the Brits are here for the long haul as the majority of the population up in the NE corner of this island.

They are the Brits we have to deal/unite with!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Brits, the Brits, the Brits ....

They (the Unionist/Loyalist population) are the Brits, and they ain't leaving anytime soon, and apparently we are going to unite with them shortly and create a United Ireland :cool:

So, after 400+ years we should accept that the Brits ain't leaving anytime soon.

"The Brits" in the context it was posted above = short for "The British Government" which in no way was to be meant to be taken as derogatory term, which I'm sure you knew, but interesting it is the only thing in the post you sought to pretend to take issue with.

I'll refer to actual unionists, and loyalists as "unionists and loyalists", and have done so in the exact same post you quoted,.and countless other times on this site, they're completely distinct from one another.

The Brits (govt) have left the unionists and loyalists swinging, they've been hung out to dry, as they were warned they would be!

So with that in mind, I'm unsure what point you actually think you're trying to make above, but suffice to say you're making it badly.

(As a big "BTW" I mentioned "the Brits" twice in the post you quoted, you mentioned "the Brits" FIVE TIMES.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

"The Brits" in the context it was posted above = short for "The British Government" which in no way was to be meant to be taken as derogatory term, which I'm sure you knew, but interesting it is the only thing in the post you sought to pretend to take issue with.

I'll refer to actual unionists, and loyalists as "unionists and loyalists", and have done so in the exact same post you quoted,.and countless other times on this site, they're completely distinct from one another.

"The Brits" is a lazy term, it's a derogatory term, a misused term, and fare I say it's a confusing term, cuz for many, specially if it only referers to the Government of the day, and not the Brits!

I heard Arlene Foster getting quite exercised about the term on the radio, and her insistence that "we are the Brits" (as she put it) ... "so stop talking about the Brits in some abstract way when we actually live here".

Boris & Co are here today, gone tomorrow ...

"The Brits" is a lazy term, it's a derogatory term, a misused term, and fare I say it's a confusing term, cuz for many, specially if it only referers to the Government of the day, and not the Brits!

I heard Arlene Foster getting quite exercised about the term on the radio, and her insistence that "we are the Brits" (as she put it) ... "so stop talking about the Brits in some abstract way when we actually live here".

Boris & Co are here today, gone tomorrow ...

Great observation. The problem is that posters like McM are using the term to goad my community by implying we are not brits

We have had crowds of young people rioting on both sides of the Lanark way peace line. Psni said on wed night equal numbers exchanged petrol bombs etc.

Why are all media networks referring to ‘loyalists’ on one side and ‘nationalists’ on the other side? And never unionists on one side and republicans on the other?

Great observation. The problem is that posters like McM are using the term to goad my community by implying we are not brits

Someone can identify as an Uzbek for all I care downcow, that's a lazy assumption on your part. You've as much right to identify as being British as Biden has to identify himself as Irish.

It still doesn't take away from the fact the British Government couldn't give a dam about you and your loyalist and unionist neighbours, and the uncomfortable fact they did throw you under the bus at the first given opportunity, exactly as was forewarned to unionists from everyone and their dogs would happen.

Take it up with them, not the Irish people who actually argued against Brexit and the predicament you now find yourselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It's not what we think on this forum that counts. It's what the Whitehall goons think. And they certainly don't think you are Brits. You are alien to them. You don't compute. That's the way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It's not what we think on this forum that counts. It's what the Whitehall goons think. And they certainly don't think you are Brits. You are alien to them. You don't compute. That's the way of the world.

All British people who believe in the Union consider the people of NI as British and want it to stay that way.

Someone can identify as an Uzbek for all I care downcow, that's a lazy assumption on your part. You've as much right to identify as being British as Biden has to identify himself as Irish.

I didn’t say I identified as a Brit. I said I am a Brit. A very different thing

Do you think I’m a Brit McM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

I'd be less kind and suggest that those goons almost universally see NI (and ALL of its inhabitants) as a money pit, an annoyance, an embarassment and a liability.

I didn’t say I identified as a Brit. I said I am a Brit. A very different thing

In that case, ave a word with your pal so.
    Do you think I’m a Brit McM?

Do you think of yourself as a Brit?

If you do, yeah, and that's your absolute right to identify as one.

You can think you're a goldfish for all I care btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

RobMc59 wrote: »
    All British people who believe in the Union consider the people of NI as British and want it to stay that way.

Did you notice over the last 5 years that what they say and what they do are somewhat different? The thing I can't make any sense of is the DUP going full hard Brexit. It's like cutting off your legs to prove you are a loyal part of Bojos Brexit army.

Advertisement