Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    A united Ireland..are you joking? The Loyalists would start a civil war over it. Personally i'd rather release the North into the sea, well clear of us.

It would not be civil war. Population wise it would essentially be the entire island against Antrim. It would be a very easily contained tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

downcow wrote: »
    Why do you think our people changed their position on eg home rule?
    Sunningdale was very different than gfa so I’m not sure who the slow learner was

Very simple, paranoia, bigotry and intolerance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭JohnMcm1

It would not be civil war. Population wise it would essentially be the entire island against Antrim. It would be a very easily contained tantrum.

No it wouldn't it would begin as a tit for tat battle between smooth brain loyalists and nationalists and escalate very rapidly I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No it wouldn't it would begin as a tit for tat battle between smooth brain loyalists and nationalists and escalate very rapidly I fear.

Youre not thinking rationally. You appear to be applying the troubles in reverse and getting the same result even though the playing field is different, the ball is a different shape amd theres no fans at the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

BluePlanet wrote: »
    How are they going to bankroll a civil war?
    Where are they going to buy weapons as the British will no longer be assisting them.
    What's their actual support base besides a couple geographically small enclaves?
    It's totally unsustainable.

Theres an absolute shed load of legally held arms up North, mostly shotguns and rifles. Even without them the loyalists would mostly be looking at their old tricks of massacaring civilians with a few new twists inherited from the new wave of far right nutters, driving into crowds in trucks, planting nail bombs

Firm measures would be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

McMurphy wrote: »
    Remember this?

What double talk:confused:

You say your British, I agree you're British, and have never once (since you originally asked me this morning) denied your Britishness:

Apologies for misunderstanding you. This is crystal clear and unambiguous Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

downcow wrote: »
    Apologies for misunderstanding you. This is crystal clear and unambiguous Thank you

Fair enough cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Look after a UI vote numerous stake holders are all on the same side: British Government, Irish Government, all their security and intelligence services and police services and all Republican groups, not to mention USA.
    All striving for a peaceful transition to a UI.

It would an major international embarrassment for the UK if we see a bunch of Loyalist goons waving British flags, running riot to try to thwart the democratic will of the people for a UI.

I would expect the British government and intelligence services to do their due diligence and keep their useful idiots in NI in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Bambi wrote: »
    Theres an absolute shed load of legally held arms up North, mostly shotguns and rifles. Even without them the loyalists would mostly be looking at their old tricks of massacaring civilians with a few new twists inherited from the new wave of far right nutters, driving into crowds in trucks, planting nail bombs

I agree but none of that amounts to a Civil War.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

Dismayed to see water cannons used on nationalist youths rioting last night. It speaks of a continued state inequality in how Catholics and Protestants are treated. Fine if everybody gets the water treatment. It also feeds into unionist beliefs of superiority and that Catholics are the great unwashed. Disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bambi wrote: »

Sawn off versus an AK47, Grandads Webley versus a Glock, pipebomb versus drones, US arms dealers will be wanting to see their latest catalogue in action

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It certainly will be very telling if the riots continue following the death of a royal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fair enough cheers.

Get a room you two!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It certainly will be very telling if the riots continue following the death of a royal.

Loyalist housing estates seem to have called off their scrotes for the meantime.

IMG-20210409-174330.jpg

Great going considering the protests are not organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

He's only an inlaw, dont think it'll make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

batman75 wrote: »
    Dismayed to see water cannons used on nationalist youths rioting last night. It speaks of a continued state inequality in how Catholics and Protestants are treated. Fine if everybody gets the water treatment. It also feeds into unionist beliefs of superiority and that Catholics are the great unwashed. Disgusting.

I believe the P.S.N.I. reported using six baton rounds( not sure what the official name they now use) the night(s) before on the Shankill side. Water Cannon is used when the threat level to life/property is less corcerning.

Don't think we can judge this as inequality in policing both sides. Water cannon was judged sufficient last night.

Baton rounds tend to be a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Loyalist housing estates seem to have called off their scrotes for the meantime.

IMG-20210409-174330.jpg

I had a good laugh reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Good for you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Look after a UI vote numerous stake holders are all on the same side: British Government, Irish Government, all their security and intelligence services and police services and all Republican groups, not to mention USA.
    All striving for a peaceful transition to a UI.

It would an major international embarrassment for the UK if we see a bunch of Loyalist goons waving British flags, running riot to try to thwart the democratic will of the people for a UI.

I would expect the British government and intelligence services to do their due diligence and keep their useful idiots in NI in check.

And what if there was a border poll and the result was NO to a United Ireland, would we be asked to vote every couple of years until the result is YES like that rabble in the SNP want for their backwater? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

https://i.postimg.cc/tTHRgC5v/IMG-20210409-174330.jpg
    ...so much for the claims that the protests hadn't been organised :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

IMG-20210409-174330.jpg

Is it April 1st? I'm sure it's not April 1st. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

batman75 wrote: »

I said to my wife earlier in the week to wait and see how the PSNI reacts if similar carry on kicks off in a nationalist area..

Being British she didn't quite believe me.

She sees it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

lawred2 wrote: »
    I said to my wife earlier in the week to wait and see how the PSNI reacts if similar carry on kicks off in a nationalist area..

Being British she didn't quite believe me.

She sees it now.

Don't forget to show your wife this report of baton rounds being used against loyalist rioters or would that not sit comfortably with your agenda.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/ni-street-violence-bus-driver-at-centre-of-hijacking-is-badly-shaken-and-will-need-time-before-returning-to-work-six-baton-rounds-fired-at-rioters-by-psni-brandon-lewis-flies-in-for-emergency-talks-over-rioting-3192990

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And what if there was a border poll and the result was NO to a United Ireland, would we be asked to vote every couple of years until the result is YES

Yes because the British state will remain an existential threat to the Irish people while it has a foothold on our island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

IMG-20210409-174330.jpg

Even the scrotes have a moral code. Lets refrain from tearing the guts out of our community for a few days because Philip has died.
    But in a few days we will resume doing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Even the scrotes have a moral code. Lets refrain from tearing the guts out of our community for a few days because Philip has died.

Injustices... Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

LOL. Great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'One of the main principles of Loyalism is Loyalty to the crown'

That's the only principle of loyalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yes because the British state will remain an existential threat to the Irish people while it has a foothold on our island.

An existential threat to the Irish people :D

Really?

Advertisement