Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

downcow wrote: »
    You really are incredibly arrogant to think that everything unionists do is guided by reaction to republicans

But the DUP's actions are. The ignore the fact that the British PM signed a deal putting a sea border in Northern Ireland by blaming the Irish government who opposed Brexit. Unionists may not be guided by republicans but loyalists certainly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm not talking about a bunch of dopes who can barely write led by minted Unionists who incite them. The British state has been a menace to the Irish people for generations and continues to be. Brexit has exposed to all but the most dim amongst us that the menace of the British state remains.

It doesn't continue to be. Nobody in the south lives in fear of them anymore. People are busy living their lives. Southern Ireland has prospered so much in the last few decades.

Meanwhile pockets of people in the North are stuck in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

You seem infatuated on using religious terms for the conflict while everyone else on here seems to understand it in loyalist/republican terms.
    Mind you your suggests that’s your main interest/agenda

Edit. Apologies that was meant for Fr who you had responded to

Thanks for the clarification. I try to steer clear of the religious stuff, no good can come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Can I ask you a question DC? Are you on English forums explaining to people about the effects of Brexit on Northern Ireland, educating English people that loyalists are British and not Irish and convincing them to invest more in Northern Ireland?

It strikes me that you're espousing all of your anger and opinions towards a country (Ireland) which A) has nothing to do with what's happening now in Northern Ireland and B) is much better educated about unionism in Northern Ireland than the average English person is. We have nothing to do with what's happening now so why the angst directed at us?

I think that’s a fair question, if a little naive.
    I didn’t vote as I was at the euros. If I had voted I probably would have voted to stay. My country voted for brexit. I am a democrat.
    They did not vote to stay in everything bar the decision making.
    So I accepted brexit and was prepared to leave.
    Then the Eu wanted to punish UK and make sure no one else leaves. Roi have them the ace card by playing up republican terrorism should ni go out fully with UK. They tried everything to screw us.
    So that’s why my anger is directed towards Roi and I can assure most unionists anger is that direction. Your pm showed us that threat of violence still works. The street disturbances are confirming that as other night it was lead item on bbc world news. Not a good lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

6 wrote: »
    It doesn't continue to be.

My country is Ireland. It's not so long ago no-warning bombs ripped through Dublin and the British refuse to open the books on the matter. This is very basic stuff that can be understood with a cursory look at the misery the British state has inflicted on the Irish people in recent history.

You think you're safe in the south from that lot?

Bless your cotton socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So have they defied the orders of the paramilitaries tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

trashcan wrote: »
    Ok, if not Northern Ireland, then what entity were you talking about that would be seeking devolution\independence ?
    downcow is talking about counties Antrim and Down seeking devolution or independence if there were a UI.

But if that's the case why the wait?
    Why shouldn't the other 4 counties get the same treatment right now?

Should we hold a referenda in Derry, Fermanagh, Armagh and Tyrone to see if they'll join a UI now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

You really are incredibly arrogant to think that everything unionists do is guided by reaction to republicans

Please if you could explain to me the DUP rationale in not supporting Theresa mays deal.
    This is a genuine question btw

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BluePlanet wrote: »
    downcow is talking about counties Antrim and Down seeking devolution or independence if there were a UI.

But if that's the case why the wait?
    Why shouldn't the other 4 counties get the same treatment right now?

Should we hold a referenda in Derry, Fermanagh, Armagh and Tyrone to see if they'll join a UI now?

Another wee partition to keep the wee country.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

I have no idea why you are raising this.
    I could repeat the post and exchange ‘rangers’ for ‘Celtic’ and refer to the support they have in Belfast.
    You appear so so blinkered if you think one community is more sectarian that the other

If you have no idea why I raised this then you clearly didn't understand my post. Sectarianism isn't a competition. The reality is that there is rampant deep seated sectarianism amongst large section of the Unionist population. On the Catholic side yes there has to be understandable resentment at our country being occupied by Britain. That will change I believe in the next 30 years.

In terms of politics on the Unionist side Foster has failed her community and her post by not attempting to be a first minister for all the people of NI. There is a serious lack of leadership in Unionism.
    Their support for Brexit was misguided both in its subsequent consequences and in terms of Brexit not carrying in NI. Unionism politically keeps shooting itself in the foot. Foster by calling for the head of the PSNI to resign in a sense encourages yobs to riot. She really isn't the brightest light in the harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The psni (who you all seem to think are wonderful) said today that none of the weeks loyalist rioting was organised but loyalist paramilitaries

But you guys won’t want to hear that as it doesn’t suit your agenda
    I didn't say loyalists were the organisers but that tweet shows that the protests are being arranged and organised.
    Tell me, how are these being organised without the approcal of the loyalist thugs though?

Esel wrote: »
    Yeah, the young Loyalist rioters all saved their pocket money for weeks to buy the petrol and fireworks. No-one else is financing them - of course not.

Typical ill-thought through one sided post. Where would you say the ‘nationalists’ are getting their petrol - maybe they are more affluent lil

Just seen Arlene's statement on Philip on the news. Great she made such a rapid recovery. She wasn't able to go into the Executive yesterday to face the music answer questions on the riots.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Please if you could explain to me the DUP rationale in not supporting Theresa mays deal.
    This is a genuine question btw

I have a massive problem with how the dup have handled things so I would find their rationale on anything difficult.
    I won’t ever forgive them for blackmailing the rest of the UK for £1billion. It was a disgusting act and not very unionist

batman75 wrote: »
    If you have no idea why I raised this then you clearly didn't understand my post. Sectarianism isn't a competition. The reality is that there is rampant deep seated sectarianism amongst large section of the Unionist population. On the Catholic side yes there has to be understandable resentment at our country being occupied by Britain. That will change I believe in the next 30 years.

In terms of politics on the Unionist side Foster has failed her community and her post by not attempting to be a first minister for all the people of NI. There is a serious lack of leadership in Unionism.
    Their support for Brexit was misguided both in its subsequent consequences and in terms of Brexit not carrying in NI. Unionism politically keeps shooting itself in the foot. Foster by calling for the head of the PSNI to resign in a sense encourages yobs to riot. She really isn't the brightest light in the harbour.

Quite sad really. If you think somehow Catholics are less sectarian that Protestants in ni. It’s totally rediculous

My country is Ireland. It's not so long ago no-warning bombs ripped through Dublin and the British refuse to open the books on the matter. This is very basic stuff that can be understood with a cursory look at the misery the British state has inflicted on the Irish people in recent history.

You think you're safe in the south from that lot?

Bless your cotton socks.

Yes we are safe. War is over.

People have bigger worries than housing estates in Northern Ireland. Currently under British control. Not our problem.

It's fear mongering that'll hamper a UI tbh.

Just seen Arlene's statement on Philip on the news. Great she made such a rapid recovery. She wasn't able to go into the Executive yesterday to face the music answer questions on the riots.

She was unable to appear on radio Ulster tonight in relation to the Philips death. You are just so suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/BBCmariamc/status/1380610504415150082

Looks like another evening of trouble ahead.

She was unable to appear on radio Ulster tonight in relation to the Philips death. You are just so suspicious

Wasn't a hate wrong with her on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

100 years anniversary coming up and look at the shape of it. Unionists losing their **** and blaming everyone but themselves. Demographics against them, unrequited love from Britain. I think its finally dawned on them that their time of dominance in the North is over and they just can't hack it. Hence the toys are out of the pram and a perpetual state of victimhood has ensued.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have a massive problem with how the dup have handled things so I would find their rationale on anything difficult.
    I won’t ever forgive them for blackmailing the rest of the UK for £1billion. It was a disgusting act and not very unionist
    ...but you've no problem with them ignoring the wishes of the NI electorate which ultimately led to the UK government placing a border in the Irish sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Yes we are safe. War is over.

People have bigger worries than housing estates in Northern Ireland. Currently under British control. Not our problem.

It's fear mongering that'll hamper a UI tbh.

Certain government members would love an attack in the South,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Would it have been more unionist to have stood full square behind Theresa may and got brexit done in the spring of 2019 and prevented or at least delayed the rise of Boris Johnson and the extremely Union damaging 2019 general election.
    My initial naive thought in the aftermath of the 2017 snap election was that at least the DUP would put the interests of NI first and foremost and prevent or mitigate a damaging brexit. How naive was that? They went the complete opposite. Absolute insane. That’s what has us where we are now IMHO.
    It should be considered a quasi act of treason against the Geographical entity that is the island of Ireland of which I presume they have some fondness for even if just their corner there of.
    If similar happened in the real world or in the world of business they would be sued out of existence. Acting so blatantly and recklessly against the interests of their own territory.

Certain government members would love an attack in the South,

Doubt anyone would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

She was rough looking yesterday , hard night on the devil's buttermilk?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Typical ill-thought through one sided post. Where would you say the ‘nationalists’ are getting their petrol - maybe they are more affluent lil
    Thank you for the compliment. The 'nationalists', as you call them, probably all have fuel cards these days.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    100 years anniversary coming up and look at the shape of it. Unionists losing their **** and blaming everyone but themselves. Demographics against them, unrequited love from Britain. I think its finally dawned on them that their time of dominance in the North is over and they just can't hack it. Hence the toys are out of the pram and a perpetual state of victimhood has ensued.

nothing new there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Yes we are safe.

aeef960a389d354efcf4e32a16ba51fb.png

Tyrone212 wrote: »

You wish! Lol

• Advertisement

...but you've no problem with them ignoring the wishes of the NI electorate which ultimately led to the UK government placing a border in the Irish sea?

Don’t know what you are talking about

Advertisement