Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

downcow wrote: »
    You wish! Lol

Like a bridge over troubled sea border waters, the UK has let you down...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Don’t know what you are talking about

NI voted by majority to stay in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

You wish! Lol

I expect to see a United Ireland in the next 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Do the Garda possess water cannons and rubber bullets?

Seems people want a UI soon I think they will need to stock up.

Exciting times lay ahead.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Can't wait.

The Gardai will never police the north, in a united Ireland the PSNI would remain.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

... My country voted for brexit. I am a democrat.

What country are you from again?
    England voted to leave.Northern Ireland voted to remain.

Your Quisling like claim to be a democrat, is that meant to be ironic ?

The Gardai will never police the north, in a united Ireland the PSNI would remain.

So how would that work???

2 different police forces in 1 country?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭briany

As previously said, there is a democratic out on the matter of the sea border. The problem is that the current makeup of the NI Assembly means around only 41 guaranteed votes against it. Unionism would need to increase seat share by 5 in order to be sure of changing the situation, and if that doesn't happen, and if non-aligned MLAs do not vote against it, then the sea border remains and the question is settled for another four years.

So, it's really a straightforward task. Instead of creating havok, get those young lads out on the doorsteps, canvassing neighbourhoods, and capturing hearts and minds. Prove there is a mandate for doing away with the sea border by getting those extra MLAs elected. If you can't do that, however, then maybe accept the position of no sea border is a minority one.

I'm not going to say that in that case minority opinion's should not be listened to. If it is a minority opinion, it's still sizable, and not listening to sizable minority hasn't really worked out well in terms of Brexit where there has been some really immature triumphalism and lasting bitterness, but we cannot get away from the intractable problem - the border must go somewhere. The only way out is for the UK to bring their standards into closer alignment with the EU or vice versa, such that a border is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Brexit; The United Kingdom as a whole voted to leave the EU. Different regions, Cities and areas within the UK voted either one way or the other, London voted to stay in the EU, Scotland voted to stay too, so did NI, and Wales voted to leave, etc etc etc, but the majority across the whole UK voted to leave ...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't wait.
    They got a loan of the PSNI water cannon in 2004...
    00001bf6-800.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0501/49656-eu1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Brexit; The United Kingdom as a whole voted to leave the EU. Different regions, Cities and areas within the UK voted either one way or the other, London voted to stay in the EU, Scotland voted to stay too, so did NI, and Wakes voted to leave, etc etc etc, but the majority across the whole UK voted to leave ...

Tbf the majority here can do math. What's your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

briany wrote: »
    As previously said, there is a democratic out on the matter of the sea border. The problem is that the current makeup of the NI Assembly means around only 41 guaranteed votes against it. Unionism would need to increase seat share by 5 in order to be sure of changing the situation, and if that doesn't happen, and if non-aligned MLAs do not vote against it, then the sea border remains and the question is settled for another four years.

So, it's really a straightforward task. Instead of creating havok, get those young lads out on the doorsteps, canvassing neighbourhoods, and capturing hearts and minds. Prove there is a mandate for doing away with the sea border by getting those extra MLAs elected. If you can't do that, however, then maybe accept the position of no sea border is a minority one.

I'm not going to say that in that case minority opinion's should not be listened to. If it is a minority opinion, it's still sizable, and not listening to sizable minority hasn't really worked out well in terms of Brexit where there has been some really immature triumphalism and lasting bitterness, but we cannot get away from the intractable problem - the border must go somewhere. The only way out is for the UK to bring their standards into closer alignment with the EU or vice versa, such that a border is not needed.

There is an agreement gfa. Irish Sea border is not compatible with it. Therefore no vote required unless everything on the gfa is up for grabs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/SMurphyTV/status/1380619934649159691

So much for that calm for Prince Philip.

They got a loan of the PSNI water cannon in 2004...
    00001bf6-800.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0501/49656-eu1/

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

It was the Unionists and allied RUC who started the original Troubles by attacking the peaceful civil rights marchers of People's Democracy in January 1969, and then bombing water facilities in March 1969. They are now threatening to launch the Troubles 2.0 by withdrawing from the GFA and rioting on the streets.

https://twitter.com/SMurphyTV/status/1380619934649159691

So much for that calm for Prince Philip.

Here is what kicked it off. Republicans caught on video attacking tigers bay when all was calm. Tigers bay is now a bit mad https://mobile.twitter.com/JonnySwift97

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Here is what kicked it off. Republicans caught on video attacking tigers bay when all was calm. Tigers bay is now a bit mad https://mobile.twitter.com/JonnySwift97

Sometimes I'm just so glad we don't have you lot as part of our country.

Both sides up there need to grow the hell up, like school children ratting on each other. Pathetic.

Glazers Out!

There is an agreement gfa. Irish Sea border is not compatible with it. Therefore no vote required unless everything on the gfa is up for grabs again.

As I've said before, Brexit as envisioned by the likes of the ERG is incompatible with the GFA because the divergence in standards desired necessitates that a border must go somewhere and will mean that either British Unionists or Irish Nationalists will be unhappy to some extent, and this is exactly what has happened.

If you have a solution to the current unrest that keeps both sides equally happy and feeling like their end of the GFA is being upheld, then please share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fantasist mammys boy, if someone farted loudly in the bogside PSNI would be calling bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

All that was was a video of a few youths running. That warrants throwing petrol bombs?

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    As I've said before, Brexit as envisioned by the likes of the ERG is incompatible with the GFA because the divergence in standards desired necessitates that a border must go somewhere and will mean that either British Unionists or Irish Nationalists will be unhappy to some extent, and this is exactly what has happened.

If you have a solution to the current unrest that keeps both sides equally happy and feeling like their end of the GFA is being upheld, then please share it.

I tiny little bit of fairness was all that was required.
    Only check what’s necessary and stop the nonsense. Accept UK is left and stop using ni issue to try and punish UK.
    My daughter wants to come over from Scotland next month but she will have to get her dog vaccinated for rabies first. Mad.
    If Eu would sort out covid vaccines instead of worrying about my daughters dog having rabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

The content of that video shows nothing that justifies the mayhem your loyalists brethern are bringing to the streets of Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

It's often said that you get the political representation that you deserve. While we have had many gob****e and corrupt politicians, NI unionism seems to have a talent for producing the most dislikeable of characters. It is their leaders who are the ambassadors for those in NI who define themselves as British. I wonder do they ever consider how they are perceived as a people throughout the world? How come they cannot produce a relatable leader such as Naomi Long? Here is a woman, who I believe has unionist leanings but is respectful in tone and speaks sense.

Sorted.

More pressure after 5 pints of Heineken

Only check what’s necessary and stop the nonsense. Accept UK is left and stop using ni issue to try and punish UK.
    My daughter wants to come over from Scotland next month but she will have to get her dog vaccinated for rabies first. Mad.
    If Eu would sort out covid vaccines instead of worrying about my daughters dog having rabies.

The idea of the EU trying to punish the UK for leaving is something that keeps on popping up throughout the Brexit saga, but it's also been applied to, for example, the concept of the UK paying a 'divorce bill' has been painted by UK tabloids as being the EU being petty, but that's a lump sum that was agreed to be paid as part of the UK settling up on its membership dues, essentially.

Every time the UK has been reminded that leaving the EU could give rise to complications, it's been called 'project fear'. The idea that leaving the EU would create a trading frontier with an EU country and complicate the GFA was barely even raised in the Brexit debate, and when it did become an issue, it was just the EU using what it could to keep the UK tied up. Yeah, OK.

But it remains a fact of international relations that you cannot not have a customs border between trading blocs that are too far apart on standards, and anyone could see that would create a problem for NI, where the appearance of such a border would undermine the GFA.

So, we are where we are. I'd much prefer the situation pre-2016, overall. I'll admit the decline in value of the British pound was nice for buying stuff from Amazon, but apart from that, it's all a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

It's odd how thousands of U.K citizens live happily in the ROI yet it's obvious these Loyalists/Unionists will never be happy here even after being here for generations. They seem to hate Ireland and Irish people and culture but are strident about living here, if I lived in France but hated France and the French I'd just leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

nullzero wrote: »
    Sometimes I'm just so glad we don't have you lot as part of our country.

Both sides up there need to grow the hell up, like school children ratting on each other. Pathetic.

Never going to happen, i worked in Belfast for years.

I kept neutral when asked about it and just said i don't give a ****.

Its generations and generations, neither side will ever give in.

dd973 wrote: »
    It's odd how thousands of U.K citizens live happily in the ROI yet it's obvious these Loyalists/Unionists will never be happy here even after being here for generations. They seem to hate Ireland and Irish people and culture but are strident about living here, if I lived in France but hated France and the French I'd just leave.

It's really a regressive cult, pining for an ascendancy that never really was, they instill hatred into their children from birth at the same time holding them back from proper employment and education

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

It's often said that you get the political representation that you deserve. While we have had many gob****e and corrupt politicians, NI unionism seems to have a talent for producing the most dislikeable of characters. It is their leaders who are the ambassadors for those in NI who define themselves as British. I wonder do they ever consider how they are perceived as a people throughout the world? How come they cannot produce a relatable leader such as Naomi Long? Here is a woman, who I believe has unionist leanings but is respectful in tone and speaks sense.

Not an Aliance voter but she's undoubtly our best politician by a country mile. Pity no one has taken over the mantle that David Irvine left. Linda Irvine has been excellent work in 'PUL' communities with the Irish language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

You asked for fairness

But you also want to be treated like a non eu member.

Then kick up a fuss because we treat someone trying to bring a dog in from a non eu member the way we would treat a dog coming from Cameroon, or Uruguay or Thailand?

If the EU stopped exporting vaccines to the uk (which would just be doing what the uk done to the eu) then you wouldn't have half the population you have vaccinated.

So in summary, do you want us to treat you like Sudan, Tuvalu and Peru? Therefore get your dog vaccinated before you try bring it into our customs union. British exceptionalism means nothing in 2021.

If you want to take a dig at are vaccine program, i'd hope you are self sufficient (you aren't)

Advertisement