Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

downcow wrote: »
    Those bad unionists!
    We could say exactly the same about a few checks on seed potatoes at Dundalk

You're misusing the term unionist. It's loyalist. Not unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No offence D but the economy and state of Northern Ireland's not exactly a good advertisement for that.

Was never meant to be taken seriously. I was responding to the equally numerous suggestion that UK should join the Eu
    You guys need to lighten up a bit

You're misusing the term unionist. It's loyalist. Not unionist.

So tell me how you differentiate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh I see it.
    The dup and the Roi are both being heavily blamed by grassroots unionists.
    The Roi for progating the lie and the dup for not countering it.

Unfortunately we have a very difficult summer in front of us that may well let the genie out of the bottle.

Do you think things escalating in ni will bring a UI closer or push it further away? A serious question

13 and 14 year old kids flinging petrol bombs are 'grassroots Unionism'? Is that what you are saying? Because there is zero evidence that there is any anger or discontent anywhere else other than among a few in deprived areas and political Unionism, which is seeking to blame everyone else but themselves for their own mess.

This is slowly turning into another brexit thread.

Good to see much less violence last night, but the reasons for the violence will have to be examined at some point, whether now or after 10 years of it.

But we already know the reasons. Before the vote in 2016, people warned that this could happen.

The backstop would have prevented all of this by keeping NI the exact same as GB, and Teresa May was about to sign that deal until Arlene Foster stopped her. Do you accept this fact, or not?

And obviously it's turned into a Brexit thread. The violence is a direct result of Brexit and your community's failure to secure NI's position. There didn't have to be a border anywhere until Arlene Foster intervened.

• Advertisement

So tell me how you differentiate them?

Naomi Long is currently a Unionist but not a Loyalist.

13 and 14 year old kids flinging petrol bombs are 'grassroots Unionism'? Is that what you are saying? Because there is zero evidence that there is any anger or discontent anywhere else other than among a few in deprived areas and political Unionism, which is seeking to blame everyone else but themselves for their own mess.
    Well that is just nonsense. I know how my community is feeling. Tell me how these feelings could be publicised so as you are aware?

Naomi Long is currently a Unionist but not a Loyalist.

I would regard her as a moderate unionist and a moderate loyalist. Tell me what the difference is?

Well that is just nonsense. I know how my community is feeling. Tell me how these feelings could be publicised so as you are aware?

Paisley brught a 100,000 onto the streets in protest.

Unionism is having to invent terror threats ffs in order to pretend there is widespread anger.

Currently the ONLY expression of anger is from kids in deprived areas who do this kind of thing annually almost. Political Unionism is telling porkies to cover it's abject failure. I know 'your' community here along the border and they are more angry about being dragged out of the EU to be perfectly honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

• Advertisement

I would regard her as a moderate unionist and a moderate loyalist. Tell me what the difference is?

A Unionist is primarily aligned to democratically elected British governments. A Loyalist is primarily loyal to the Monarchy and ascendancy and has an a lá carte attitude to democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭briany

JupiterKid wrote: »
    That is simply never going to happen. EU membership has completely transformed Ireland’s economy and society for the better and the Irish electorate and body politic are more than fully aware of this.

It could do the same for the UK, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

So you think supporting a border through the middle of the UK supports the gfa?
    I never said I support it, I said brexit was a utter folly and showed Britain's disinterest in NI by not discussing it prior to the vote, never mind what came after.
    The sea border doesn't support the objectives of the GFA but it is complaint with it, and it is why NI is now cut of from Britain, a decision made by Westminster.

In the end Westminster placed Britain where it wanted and at odds with the EU. Would you not agree that if the union was so important to them they could have taken a hard brexit or diverged less from the EU?

Edit: as it should be asked directly too, do you think Brexit back at day 1 supported the GFA?

It has done the same for the UK. It's just that people in England have an extremely poor example of their own history. Britain was an economic basket case prior to joining the union. It was only after entering the single market that its economy flustered.
    The 1976 UK Sterling Crisis was a balance of payments or currency crisis in the United Kingdom in 1976 which forced James Callaghan's Labour government to borrow $3.9 billion ($17.5 billion in 2019) from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), at the time the largest loan ever to have been requested from the IMF.

It's an amazing insight into the psychology of loyalism that you have a thread full of people saying that Brexit is a bad idea while someone accuses you of supporting a Brexit imposed sea border.

It has done the same for the UK. It's just that people in England have an extremely poor example of their own history. Britain was an economic basket case prior to joining the union. It was only after entering the single market that its economy flustered.

Completely forgotten by Rule Britannia crew, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Flourished? :)

lawred2 wrote: »
    Flourished? :)

Well developed to the point where they could have collective amnesia about ever being an economic basketcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's easy to over exaggerate what is happening, this is Belfast this morning. People with agendas will manipulate these youths for political ends.

The vast majority are not in conflict.

https://twitter.com/LauraNoonanFT/status/1380797540325548032

Exactly.

Someone on here yesterday saying we should be fearful in the South :rolleyes:

This is confined to tiny areas of Northern Ireland.

A Unionist is primarily aligned to democratically elected British governments. A Loyalist is primarily loyal to the Monarchy and ascendancy and has an a lá carte attitude to democracy.

You even define our identity for us. That’s not how I would describe either.
    How would you go with nationalist and republican?

And could you do Protestant and Catholic for me, also in the ni context?

Life is simple in your world, isn’t it.

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    Exactly.

Someone on here yesterday saying we should be fearful in the South :rolleyes:

This is confined to tiny areas of Northern Ireland.

....you thought it would be like Reagan coming on tv and announcing ‘shock and awe’ for the south and the Uvf sending 20 of their fighter jets down to bomb Dublin?

You even define our identity for us.

Jesus H, YOU asked me to define them. :rolleyes:
    That’s not how I would describe either.

The floor is yours, give us your definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I see many Loyalists were not too loyal again last night.
    Couldn’t even live up to their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Only loyal to the half crown they get from drug dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

God and Ulster went out the window years ago tayto. It's all organised crime and disco biscuits, Colombian marching powder and Jamaican Woodbines these days tayto.

Jesus H, YOU asked me to define them. :rolleyes:

The floor is yours, give us your definition.

My point is that there is no clean definition. I actually don’t see any significant difference. Same as nationalist and republican.

I was just interested when someone (maybe you) said that the young people on the streets were loyalist and not unionist. As a member of the PUL community, I find that a very strange statement. Your description was even stranger in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

This post is such a contradiction it is funny.
    Naomi long is born reared and still part of the PUL community. She is a Protestant (quite strong faith), a unionist and loyal to the crown.
    My post, if you reread it, clearly recognises that Naomi Long is of a unionist persuasion. My point is that neither of the main Unionists parties (Official/Ulster Unionist or DUP) has produced a leader of her calibre. In fact, Naomi's party (Alliance) has previously been accused in NI by unionists has being part of the 'Pan Nationalist Front'.

My point is that there is no clean definition. I actually don’t see any significant difference. Same as nationalist and republican.

I was just interested when someone (maybe you) said that the young people on the streets were loyalist and not unionist. As a member of the PUL community, I find that a very strange statement. Your description was even stranger in my opinion.

They will use violence against a British government to get their way = Loyalist, as per my description above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Unionism at its most basic is the belief that Ireland or a part of it are better off under British sovereignty.

Loyalism is a culture that has its roots in supremacy and exceptionalism underpinned by specific cultural trappings and is unique to certain parts of the north of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The riots are terrible but those doing it are in a minority.
    https://twitter.com/RobbieButlerMLA/status/1380829223133253632?s=19

Advertisement