Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

downcow wrote: »
    Do you guys really think this is only happening on one side???

Well I don't see Unionists being burnt out of their homes, yet not a word from Arlene. I presume you condemn this. Some think it is the 1970s when they burnt out nationalists and always got their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

banie01 wrote: »
    Perhaps you should take those points up with the Govt Francie.
    I'm not a member of it nor actually even a voter for any current member of it

But should you not be calling that out? Was that type of hypcrisy not what you were referring to?
    Should what you were talking about not begin from the top?

Just asking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have family that lives in NI it's amazing how little it concerns the vast majority particularly the middle classes or those outside of political life.

Why do unionists seem to have such poor politicians noting against Arlene Foster but she is not a good politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Do you guys really think this is only happening on one side???

Northern Ireland was set up as an apartheid state where Unionist supremacy over nationalists was engrained into the culture.

Your cries of unfair treatment are laughable.

It's like plantation owners in the southern United States complaining about their slaves being set free.

Unionists are disgruntled because they can't lord it over their nationalist neighbours as much as they used to. Boo hoo.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Yeah I wouldn't be agains marching bands per se. I just don't think it's very good and wouldn't really appeal to the wider community in Ireland.

I think they could put a bit more effort into and get better before they go for a whole island tour.

Some serious competition out there. They have a small talent pool given the exclusionary admission rules. Probably best to temper expectations of how successful it would be outside of the north.

More misunderstanding. My twelfth is one of the smaller ones, just about 60 bands. But here is a sample below of some of that talent in just a small area of County Down.
    Do you think you need to reconsider that statement that they are not very good

Field marshal Montgomery (pipe)

It’s 10 world champion title make it the best pipe band in the world, ever

https://twitter.com/BraemarMedia/status/1032897952296194048?s=20
    https://youtu.be/J5UFrDKAdvo

Ballygowan flute band. World champions 14 times, most recently in 2018

https://youtu.be/6jmBbhPH7sE

And of course we could also demo our lambegs, the loudest acrostic instrument in the world.

https://youtu.be/kxBro8SeS18

.....but sure you couldn’t even watch these amateurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

And of course we could also demo our lambegs, the loudest acrostic instrument in the world.

Pity it's used as a means of loudly lording it over the neighbours in sectarian divisionary parades.

Makes any musical uniqueness kind of mute, no pun intended.

Getting the notion that Downcow's version of a UI wouldn't look out of place in the Antebellum South,
    Calling their movement PUL immediately made it a sectarian sect,

Two catch all clumsy terms are used in ni by media etc. PUL and CNR. So stop being silly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

But should you not be calling that out? Was that type of hypcrisy not what you were referring to?
    Should what you were talking about not begin from the top?

Just asking

My opinion of the current Govt hasn't been discussed on the thread.
    My opinion of the Govt of NI has, both in Stormont and Westminster has been.

My opinions of the Irish govt and their lack of effort in holding those in power to account?
    Those aren't really relevant or pertinent to a discussion of those with actual influence over disturbances in N.I.

The Irish government of course need to do more to hold those in power to account, feet need to be held to the fire where possible.
    I tend to take my political action directly, rather than by online fora and my TD is well aware of my opinion.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Well I don't see Unionists being burnt out of their homes, yet not a word from Arlene. I presume you condemn this. Some think it is the 1970s when they burnt out nationalists and always got their way.

The only homes burnt out in my town were Protestant and by the Ira. I am very aware this disgusting stuff happens to Catholics two but you seem to think it’s only one side do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Sure gaels send their children to English speaking schools.
    Can you not see the hypocrisy of your position?

Both nationalist and Polish communities send their kids to school, PUL throw sh1t at kids going to school, keep their own ignorant

• Advertisement

Apologies Cavet, I accidentally posted this not within your quote. It should have went with the above.

More misunderstanding. My twelfth is one of the smaller ones, just about 60 bands. But here is a sample below of some of that talent in just a small area of County Down.
    Do you think you need to reconsider that statement that they are not very good

Field marshal Montgomery (pipe)

It’s 10 world champion title make it the best pipe band in the world, ever.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28824257

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

The only homes burnt out in my town were Protestant and by the Ira. I am very aware this disgusting stuff happens to Catholics two but you seem to think it’s only one side do it
    since the GFA, I doubt it
    The days of unionists always getting their way are over, these scum should be arrested and should be condemned by the DUP/UUP, I hope you agree

Sorry. I really struggled to post those few links of local bands to me to dispel caveats nonsense about them not being very good.

Here is the link that didn’t post. It’s worth a look if you want to see one aspect of our culture
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28824257

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Polish flags are also burned on bonfires so I don't think your community will support a Polish Language Act any time soon.

I never understood that. Is it because poles are Catholic too?

Is the North the worst place for people not leaving history behind? Siege mentality, instead of getting on with life and integrating with neighbours who share a slightly different culture.

I come form a place south of the border with a large protestant minority and everyone gets on well..... until intermarriage comes into it. Know people who's aunts and uncles won't talk to them because they disowned their sibling who married a catholic. Bonkers.

I have stanch orange men as relations, long story but Great grandfather's protestant wife died so he remarried a catholic. Family disowned him. Uncle went to contact them and they said no to any kind of meet up with my grandmother.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I never understood that. Is it because poles are Catholic too?

Think the only catholic some of them will accept is the Italian lad who used to score loads for Rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭briany

Mimon wrote: »
    Is the North the worst place for people not leaving history behind? Siege mentality, instead of getting on with life and integrating with neighbours who share a slightly different culture.

The North wouldn't even attract international attention vs. the kind of history and enduring bitterness found in places like the Balkans and the Caucasus. And going into bona fide Western Europe, the Catalonians don't forget their history and there's still strong support for independence from Spain. It's not a unique thing - these historical frictions may be at almost every turn and become volatile if prodded. At most, NI is arguably the worst place out of Britain and Ireland for remembering history, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Careful those who don't know, a lot of this 'revolution' is being exaggerated for political purposes.

https://twitter.com/JoeBrolly1993/status/1381229766813057024

briany wrote: »
    The North wouldn't even attract international attention vs. the kind of history and enduring bitterness found in places like the Balkans and the Caucasus. And going into bona fide Western Europe, the Catalonians don't forget their history and there's still strong support for independence from Spain. It's not a unique thing - these historical frictions may be at almost every turn and become volatile if prodded. At most, NI is arguably the worst place out of Britain and Ireland for remembering history, so to speak.

Basques also. But less than a handful of places in Europe that are comparable so my point is more than valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Two catch all clumsy terms are used in ni by media etc. PUL and CNR. So stop being silly

They use it to refer to themselves
    https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/another-night-of-violence-despite-calls-for-halting-of-protests-after-prince-philips-death-3195739

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Imagine trying to draw equivalence between Morris Dancing and Blood-and-Thunder unionist bands in the north of Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Penfailed

This hands across divides $hits is fairytale stuff. If a UI happened the Protestants would have good reason to be fearful of it. Human nature would dictate that they would be targeted and they would become the marginalised group as Catholics have been for a century up there.

Protestants live south of the border too y'know.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Penfailed

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    since the GFA, I doubt it
    The days of unionists always getting their way are over, these scum should be arrested and should be condemned by the DUP/UUP, I hope you agree

Ironic username...UDA Winner...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Protestants live south of the border too y'know.

And down South where I'm from the orange and green actually march together.

Check this out - Orange and AOH marching together, no one opressed :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A7bDVkeBvg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

according to lbc radio, the mirror newspaper are reporting that 8 special forces have been sent to NI to work with MI5.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Basques also. But less than a handful of places in Europe that are comparable so my point is more than valid.

Europe is historically the most war torn violent continent on the face of the heart with levels of violence and depravity and even industrial slaughter far beyond anything seen in other parts of the globe.
    It’s Just most of it happened before our time and the television age. But peace is fragile and not to be taken for granted anywhere in Europe. The last 70 or 80 years have been an exception. Lots of old enemy’s living cheek by jowl.
    Look at how the frozen enmities in the balkans became red hot when Yugoslavia collapsed in 1991. Lots of similar potential examples of that across Europe. Parts of historic Germany in eastern France and huge former German heartlands now part of Poland. Parts of Russia deep in Poland etc etc. Belgium is a country held together by insulating tape. The relatively recent memory of world war 2 and the stability of the EU is keeping a lid on it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,821 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

according to lbc radio, the mirror newspaper are reporting that 8 special forces have been sent to NI to work with MI5.
    Hopefully they have TikTok on their phones to get down with the youths :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Imagine trying to draw equivalence between Morris Dancing and Blood-and-Thunder unionist bands in the north of Ireland...

Not sure about that.

I would imagine that one has to be very secure in their masculinity to do a Morris Dance or be the lad at the front of a marching band, only to find you have been selected as the guy who throws the baton up an down in the air....like a pre-teen Majorette.

I reckon even Loyalists have a good laugh at that lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I wonder if the Tories planned this ...i would not be surprised if they invade the ROI sometime soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Pity it's used as a means of loudly lording it over the neighbours in sectarian divisionary parades.

Makes any musical uniqueness kind of mute, no pun intended.

My sincere Apologies down cow. I've never heard of that band or that instrument (the big drum). Sorry for my ignorance. Not what I had in my head.

That looks very good indeed and I'd pay to listen to them.

As the other poster put it though. I wouldn't necessarily like to have a 12th of July parade marching down a road where nobody wants to listen to it.

No more than I'd want the Cork hurling team to do a victory parade down O'Connell street. A parade in Cork I'd probably attend for the craic though.

Music is super important on this island and there is probably much common ground that could be used to help both communities understand each other.

Particularly young people playing in the same band would be great. I'm not sure on the rules on joining etc.

People love it here when someone who is from a different culture plays GAA etc.

Advertisement