Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Disturbances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There's no reason to think the existing unionist parties would disappear, although I imagine they'd merge into a single bloc to increase their influence.

Working class loyalists have always voted on the "loyalist" end of that phrase rather than the "working class" end. That kind of politics is seen as commie and therefore republican by loyalists, which is why they've kept parties that do absolutely nothing for them in power for 100 years.

Also, once the national question is dealt with, the DUP/UUP might be surprised to find how much they have in common with FFG

Wouldn't Ian Jr. Be a bit expensive in comparison to a bent FGer? Free houses and trips to the Indian ocean, bundle of dirty fifties and a free fish supper would get you a billion euro contract in the Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:D:D
    When contacted yesterday, the individual who issued the statement admitted that not a single person had protested at any of the locations. However, he claimed that there had been “a last-minute change of heart, for a number of reasons I won’t go into” and insisted that the call to protest had nonetheless “served its purpose”.

He claimed that the group had “actively encouraged” people not to protest, saying: “We obviously wanted no protests, even though we had initially said we did.”

The News Letter asked why, if the protests had genuinely been called off – rather than simply flopping because the group has no support – the group did not post a message on its Facebook page to tell people to stay away.

The man claimed that there are “ongoing issues” with the page which means they “can only share posts, not post [themselves]”. However, the page, which is followed by over 700 people, was updated as recently as Wednesday.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/farce-as-loyalist-protest-group-claims-credit-for-no-one-showing-up-to-its-protest-3203481

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Just listening to Brian Rowan on talktalk. He is clearly the journalist in ni with his finger most on paramilitaries.
    He is very clear that loyalist paramilitaries “have their foot on the brake”, “they don’t want this violence”. He is clear that their are small groupings of dissident loyalists agitating to take focus of their drug dealing.
    He says the main paramilitaries are on the streets literally taking petrol and rocks out of people’s hands.
    He says if they remove their foot from the break and give the word then serious violence will spread immediately throughout Belfast and across ni.
    He gives a gloomy outlook on prospect of a UI
    He also says Stormont will limp through the summer but may not last much longer and he says he doubts if there is any stomach for negotiating a further agreement.

downcow wrote: »
    He is very clear that loyalist paramilitaries “have their foot on the brake”, “they don’t want this violence”. He is clear that their are small groupings of dissident loyalists agitating to take focus of their drug dealing.
    He says the main paramilitaries are on the streets literally taking petrol and rocks out of people’s hands.

Good stuff. So that's that then. A bit of a Never Never spat and things will return to normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Marco23d

Just listening to Brian Rowan on talktalk. He is clearly the journalist in ni with his finger most on paramilitaries.
    He says if they remove their foot from the break and give the word then serious violence will spread immediately throughout Belfast and across ni.
    He also says Stormont will limp through the summer but may not last much longer and he says he doubts if there is any stomach for negotiating a further agreement.

For some reason I doubt this to be true.... Everything I've heard has been the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

What unionists really fear, like I and others have been saying some are still living in the past where they had total control

https://twitter.com/dfertl/status/1382739162525224965

I will forever remember being called selfish before the Brexit vote by an English friend for talking about the impact on Northern Ireland.

It was all so predictable. I barely knew anything about Brexit when that conversation happened and my first reaction was that it was going to cause big problems.

"EU Oligarchs" is a phrase I'll never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Translation: Those loyalists are heroes, but - by gumption - there'll be hell to pay if you cross them and they 'take their foot off the 'break' ' (brake?)

Marco23d wrote: »
    For some reason I doubt this to be true.... Everything I've heard has been the complete opposite.

Psni have also corrected their initial claims and said the do not believe mainstream paramilitaries are involved

maccored wrote: »
    Translation: Those loyalists are heroes, but - by gumption - there'll be hell to pay if you cross them and they 'take their foot off the 'break' ' (brake?)

They have been silent so I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. This is the previous bbc security correspondent that is saying this. I think he is a catholic nationalist , but tbh I am not sure

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭TheTruth21

Psni have also corrected their initial claims and said the do not believe mainstream paramilitaries are involved

I wouldn't believe a word them lads say. Look af the non investigation into the young boy who was found dead in Belfast

They have been silent so I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. This is the previous bbc security correspondent that is saying this. I think he is a catholic nationalist , but tbh I am not sure

So.isnt it grwat.
    Just another storm in a teacup and toys to be gathered off the floor.

Protocol is staying where it is and we move on.

Why are you so adamantly defending loyalist paramilitaries?

What do you care?

Pretty much every article I've read about the subject has said loyalist paramilitaries were directing the violence, what reason do you have to believe otherwise?

Please enlighten us, is this some sort of conspiracy against loyalist paramilitaries/gangs?

TheTruth21 wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe a word them lads say. Look af the non investigation into the young boy who was found dead in Belfast
    You have to wonder to why there was no investigation, suspicious case to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Loyalist dissidents want to continue with their current tack, they're not doing themselves many favours. The optics are bad insomuch as it's hooded chav youths interrupting the lives of ordinary decent people - ASBO behaviour on steroids with the thinnest of political veneers. They're not even attacking the infrastructure of what they claim to hate, nor are they attempting to get at the people they hold responsible. There would at least be a sort of internal logic to that, but there is none to torching a bus.

As for Loyalist higher-ups saying they have their foot on the brake, they could well find in the event they take it off that they've no accelerator, and they're parked on a flat, and 3 wheels are missing.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    You have to wonder to why there was no investigation, suspicious case to say the least

Mixed race catholic child wanders into loyalist stronghold, poor lad hadn't a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭circadian

What unionists really fear, like I and others have been saying some are still living in the past where they had total control

https://twitter.com/dfertl/status/1382739162525224965

I'm just going to point out how confusing your username is in a thread about loyalists.

Is it U DA WINNER or UDA WINNER?

circadian wrote: »
    I'm just going to point out how confusing your username is in a thread about loyalists.

I was thinking the same thing haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I was thinking the same thing haha

I said the same a few pages back! :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Why are you so adamantly defending loyalist paramilitaries?

What do you care?

Pretty much every article I've read about the subject has said loyalist paramilitaries were directing the violence, what reason do you have to believe otherwise?

Please enlighten us, is this some sort of conspiracy against loyalist paramilitaries/gangs?

I just like facts.

• Advertisement

Was there no investigation?

Mixed race catholic child wanders into loyalist stronghold, poor lad hadn't a hope

That is a disgusting comment. You are playing fast and loose with a woman’s grief for her son.

That is a disgusting comment. You are playing fast and loose with a woman’s grief for her son.

Too many questions and not many answers from your brethren

:)

You guys are really struggling. To call someone a friend because they are in a picture to get her is just nonsense and well you know it.

Here’s Gerry with his good friend Col in Chief of the Paras https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/prince-charles-offers-condolences-to-sinn-fein-leader-gerry-adams-over-martin-mcguinness-death-35709116.html

Trying to demonise again Francie. I have said repeatedly here that there are a broad range of bands.
    Here is something I haven’t read myself but the opening paragraph gives me a sense that they know what they are talking about, maybe worth a read for anyone that wants an insight - link below

“I think most nationalists and republicans assume that the only reason people in the Protestant community want to join marching bands is because of a ‘Kick the Pope’ mentality. Okay, you do get Prods who think like that, but for the vast majority of band members it’s to do with their culture, their heritage, their sense of identity... and, at a very local level, their links with family and community.
    • I also don’t think people in Northern Ireland – and I don’t just mean people in the Catholic community – realise the full extent of the band sector. There are some 650 bands within the Protestant community – and a smaller number within the Catholic community. Membership of each band can range from between twenty to eighty people, and if we take an average of forty-five members per band, that means about 30,000 people are actively involved. And if you include their family members – not to mention the thousands of spectators and supporters – you can see why the Ulster band scene is one of the largest voluntary movements in the UK.”

https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/islandpublications/hall14-ip105.pdf

• Advertisement

Trying to demonise again Francie.

I'm pretty sure I haven't demonised bands like this downcow. They have 'demonised' themselves.

Advertisement